inTank Media Baskets

Water levels

Ladytank

Hey all, I've had my tank up for 2 weeks now. It's a biocube 29 with a lid. My sg is where I want it. All of my test levels come back great. I have had no evaporation what so ever,should I be worried or grateful?  Sorry if this seams to be a dumb question. Thanks in advance for your input.

SaltyBuddha

Water level change should be noted in the last rear chamber of the back. Not in the display tank. But if you are using a hood, that will reduce evaporation by a large margin.

I'm sure there are some biocube 29 owners that can chime in here. 

Five.five-six

No longer a BC29 owner but you will evaporate some depending on heat from the lights, humidity in the house and air movement.  

Top off by adding to the pump section, where you will have the least impact on tank inhabitants.   The pump section is where the evap will show up.  It is 100X better to add 1 cup of RO/DI or distilled water every other day than to add 1/2 gallon once a week. Don’t use tap water, use RO/DI or distilled water.  

Happy reefing! 

7 hours ago, Five.five-six said:

No longer a BC29 owner but you will evaporate some depending on heat from the lights, humidity in the house and air movement.  

Top off by adding to the pump section, where you will have the least impact on tank inhabitants.   The pump section is where the evap will show up.  It is 100X better to add 1 cup of RO/DI or distilled water every other day than to add 1/2 gallon once a week. Don’t use tap water, use RO/DI or distilled water.  

Happy reefing! 

Thank you so much. I've listened to people say 1 to 3 gallons a day evaporation,so I'm happy with what I have.

Five.five-six

I’m running about 170 gallons with a lot of fans and evaporation from very strong lighting and an open top and I go through about 13 gallons a week.  That’s less than 2 gal a day.  

You are doing great!  

1 hour ago, Ladytank said:

Thank you so much. I've listened to people say 1 to 3 gallons a day evaporation,so I'm happy with what I have.

Those numbers are for much larger tanks probably with large open sumps. My tiny IM 10 goes through less than, or right around a gallon a week. While it’s not without a top it just has a mesh net over it so it evaps more that it would with a true cover.