Coral Vue Hydros

Rotifer culture

AlmightyJoshaeus

AlmightyJoshaeus

Hello all! On a similar line to my prior post, I am desiring to breed marine fish and, to do so, need to learn to culture rotifers. Here is how I was going to do it;

1 - place rotifers in a 5 gallon bucket with salinity about 1.017 and aeration at about 2 bubbles a second

2 - Feed daily with either phytoplankton or a powdered plankton feed (yes, they exist...sachs systems aquaculture carries it)

3 - Also daily, add seachem prime or another ammonia remover to help keep nutrients under control

4 - When cultures are established in a few weeks, harvest 1/3rd of culture every other day

Any changes I should make to this plan? Thanks :)

• Like 1

No, thats about how I did it when I was raising clownfish.  When I harvested mine I replaced with more saltwater so it acted like a water change and I periodically syphoned the accumulated gunk out of the bottom too.  Then every several weeks I switched buckets so I could clean and sterilize the prior bucket.  Even with all that I had cultures crash from not enough food, or ammonia.  For me raising the fry was easy but keeping a rotifer culture going was not.

• Like 1
AlmightyJoshaeus

Oh, good...I know what I'm doing then :) thanks. I guess if ammonia regularly caused the demise of your cultures then the prime would be shrewd indeed. Here's a thought...could I grow macroalgae in the culture to further fight nutrient problems?

• Like 1

My thoughts are macro algae would make keeping the culture clean more difficult but I never thought to try it.  I guess there is only 1 way to know for sure.