Top Shelf Aquatics

Joevember's 65g reef tank, breaking down my setup

Joevember

8 hours ago, Orangutran said:

doing awesome for your first tank! sheesh! but, you gotta cover up that back wall, to hide those pipes. 😉

Thanks!

The tank came with a sheet of vinyl, but I took it off bc it was trashed. I'm not going to replace it since I'm downsizing soon.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Picking up an IM fusion 20 today!!! Sweet deal. Comes with 2 intanks and a 75w neotherm for $190. Pretty excited about it. I will finally have some of my floor space back from all the stuff I used to maintain my 65.

I'll be selling off some of the livestock in my tank. Will keep a cleaner (Marge), the clowns (Fishy Elliott and Swim Shady), and almost all the coral. Don't know about Clamourous (my derasa). Might not have the right size tank to support him.

• Like 2

20181006_104130.thumb.jpg.8b15aeb92703bd2ae29f800adee4ee9d.jpg

Feels good knowing I will never have to do another 30 gallon water change on the tank. 😂

I'll be making a new thread in the aquarium journals soon for the new setup. Lmk what I should load in the chambers. I'm debating whether or not I need a protein skimmer.

• Like 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER

Lol I am getting ready to convert my 75g cichlid tank to a reef tank. It's going to be a long time till it actually happens though. Need to save and buy things one at a time.

• Wow 1

Well I'm just going to document everything until I finally break the tank down so here we go.

Just caught Chadrick, my 6 line wrasse. I had to put a makeshift divider and move all my corals from one side to the other. He somehow got to the other side, so I had to get him back to the empty side. Then I finally caught him and put him in a box at the top of the tank. And, of course, I didn't remember how my aquascape went in, so I had to improvise. The whole process of getting Chad took about an hour. Going to have to do it one more time for the damsel......

Selling Chad and my first fragged duncan tonight.

1539038676297591105134157370525.jpg

1539038705899834861901282401847.jpg

Sad to say it, but I had to sell my clam. Wanted to keep it but the new tank will be too small to maintain it..... Goodbye Clamourous. (May get a small maxima in the future on the new tank)

The guy I sold the clam to also wanted to buy a cleaner shrimp, but I couldn't catch the dude. I divided the tank, like I did with my wrasse, but the shrimp squeezed through a crack smaller than a centimeter. Then the little bastard hid in the scape on the other half..... Now I really want him gone.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, the yellowtail has been fighting with my clowns. They have just been biting each other when I feed the tank. Hopefully they don't kill each other. 

Also, the tank has been having a lot more algae buildup on the glass since I got rid of the clam. It must have been doing a lot more filtration than I gave it credit for. 

31 minutes ago, slowngreen said:

down grading is never a good idea 😁 

I know... I would much rather be upgrading. 

I wish I could make a bigger and better setup that actually looks good as just a setup. Because I'm just using an old wooden table as a stand, which is why I have never done a full setup shot....... 🙄

• Like 1

Moved half my corals. You might notice that they were all from one end of the tank. This is because the other side is currently guarded tightly by two vicious attack clowns. 

15411856582383652251939803305773.jpg

• Haha 1

Things are looking bare...

I'm moving the duncan out now, then the lepto will be left. I think I'll have to use a table saw to get the lepto off since I don't have room for the whole rock in my new tank.

15412783061408403659321413195689.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Duncan was moved a week ago.

Fragged up the lepto into a bunch of pieces (kind of on purpose). Moved all the frags into my 20, and already have 2 buyers down for frags. One dude is going to trade me an orange setosa and purple stylo for a chunk.

I also just fragged my 2 zoas off this morning and sold both this afternoon. Didn't know people liked them this much. I had them in my 20 after I fragged them and kind of want some zoas in there. Didn't want them at first, but their colors can be so amazing.

All I gotta do now is sell my finger leather, which nobody cares about, my rock, and my damsel (which I'm giving away for free...). 

Sad looking FTS...

15420585588795971719084495801839.jpg

• Sad 1

Well, gave away my damsel today to someone that bought the roa rock. Also sold 15lbs of live rock to him, and a few leftover CUC members. 

The water displacement from the missing rocks almost made me make some saltwater, but then I thought I could just put all the filtration in the top with a powerhead on. Now it's just a box with water in it. I might put a pic up tomorrow, cause it looks goofy af.

I also went ahead and made a vinegar bath for all the equipment I was running in my sump before. Ready to sell.

I was cleaning out the fuge and saw a piece of red grape caulerpa. I was pretty happy because I thought I had gotten rid of it all. I went to take it out and, to my disgust, found out it was two inch long fireworms. I've never cringed harder in my life. Didn't even know I had these. Fml

15424748234576003504825894609108.jpg

Last post here 😥

It's all taken down. Still selling bits and pieces of the setup. This tank taught me so much about this hobby, thanks for sticking around and looking at my progress.

16 hours ago, Joevember said:

Last post here ?

It's all taken down. Still selling bits and pieces of the setup. This tank taught me so much about this hobby, thanks for sticking around and looking at my progress.

Where is the new tank build thread?