Coral Vue Hydros

Wavemaker vs Better return pump

Dgameman1

Hey all! I currently have the Innovative Marine Nuvo Fusion 10 Gallon tank

As it is right now, I put on a PP4 Jebao wavemaker.

It works fine and all but I don't have fish/corals yet so I don't know if it'll be too much flow, and even if it is, I can just get the 24v to 12v adapter to cut the speed in half.

I've been reading that some people don't even have a powerhead/wavemaker in their tanks and they just upgrade the return pump for more flow?

What do you guys recommend? 

These are the corals I'm going to be having

Button Polyps
Green Star Polyp
Toadstool Leather
Mushroom
Kenya Tree
Hammer Coral 

The goal is to be as silent and clutterfree as possible!

Thanks!

Im no expert on this by any means, but I would day if you are just planning to keep softies and one lps that you should be ok to just upgrade the return pump and possible throw a spinstream on to get some random flow. I have the IM 20 and put in a sicce 1.5 and two spinstreams and the pump is fantastic. I will eventually be putting a powerhead on because I want to keep sps, but dont have it yet. Others will know better then me though for sure!

SURVEYMAN46123

With that list of corals, I would go with an upgraded pump and no powerhead.  

That's setup I have and my tank is pretty happy. 

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

With that list of corals, I would go with an upgraded pump and no powerhead.  

That's setup I have and my tank is pretty happy. 

1 hour ago, Dgameman1 said:

Hey all! I currently have the Innovative Marine Nuvo Fusion 10 Gallon tank

As it is right now, I put on a PP4 Jebao wavemaker.

It works fine and all but I don't have fish/corals yet so I don't know if it'll be too much flow, and even if it is, I can just get the 24v to 12v adapter to cut the speed in half.

I've been reading that some people don't even have a powerhead/wavemaker in their tanks and they just upgrade the return pump for more flow?

What do you guys recommend? 

These are the corals I'm going to be having

Button Polyps
Green Star Polyp
Toadstool Leather
Mushroom
Kenya Tree
Hammer Coral 

The goal is to be as silent and clutterfree as possible!

Thanks!

Yeah I have same tank. Sicce syncra.5 is nice and quiet and no ugly powerhead in the display. 

• Like 1

Okay perfect!!

So I'll get the sicc .5 to replace my pump!

But now do you guys recommend me actually change the output nozzle?

Also, what if I wanted to keep corals that need a little bit more flow, is what I have okay?

And would I then be losing the wave makers feature?

Thanks!

31 minutes ago, Dgameman1 said:

Okay perfect!!

So I'll get the sicc .5 to replace my pump!

But now do you guys recommend me actually change the output nozzle?

Also, what if I wanted to keep corals that need a little bit more flow, is what I have okay?

And would I then be losing the wave makers feature?

Thanks!

I think changing the output nozzle would be a good idea, getting random flow from either a spinstream or a RFG would be beneficial for a more natural looking tank and limiting dead spots. In terms of higher flow coral I think it depends on what you are wanting to keep and where you would place them based on the flow you get. Just a caution on a small tank it seems like the RFG has a fairly large footprint (respectively) so might stick out into the tank more then you want, but on the other hand there are no moving part like there are for the spinstreams. 

• Like 1
SURVEYMAN46123

I really like my spinstream paired with my Sicce .5.    A word of advice if you go that route.   Once a month pull the pump and spinstream and give them a good scrub.   You will notice a difference of flow afterwords.   Sometimes the amount of gunk built up in the pump and spinstream really cuts down the performance.

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

I really like my spinstream paired with my Sicce .5.    A word of advice if you go that route.   Once a month pull the pump and spinstream and give them a good scrub.   You will notice a difference of flow afterwords.   Sometimes the amount of gunk built up in the pump and spinstream really cuts down the performance.

Just out of curiosity do you take the pump and spinstream apart when you are scrubbing? Do you soak in vinegar at all?

SURVEYMAN46123
39 minutes ago, Zach W said:

Just out of curiosity do you take the pump and spinstream apart when you are scrubbing? Do you soak in vinegar at all?

I do not take the spinstream apart.   The pump I remove the cover and impeller and scrub everywhere.

I also don't soak anything in vinegar.

ClownFizz

Ive got all sorts of flow happening on my tank. The more surface agitation the better. Ive got a jebao pp4 facing the surface, upgraded powerhead, surface skimmer and canister filter.... my coral and anemone loves it.

• Like 1