Top Shelf Aquatics

DIY set behind sump

Kyle99

Hey guys I’m building a small sum on the back of my tank that’s just a glorified hob filter in a sense. So this is the plan (I’ve already started cutting the Acrylic) the tank is gonna be

18x14.5x4” and I want it to over flow into the tank with out a pump in the tank. Very crude drawing is attached. So in the middle of cutting the acrylic it hit me. I needed to find a pump that could lift the water to the tank. So do y’all have any suggestions? 

1DABF791-5B38-4FF7-BB30-4E16BE6E735D.png

so i have found a pump for this project and its on its way. the pump is a ecoplus 185. its a submersible inline pump so I'm hoping that it will be able to pull over the tank. this shouldn't be too hard of a job. I've seen it where people use it for water changes so it must be able to pull some of the water up. once i have the weld-on 4 arrives and i clean up the edges with the router or table saw i will get to building. then its off to the hardware store to to get some fittings and clear/black pic to plum the pump. then testing begins. 

Nocturnal

Any reasonable pump should be fine for that. Post up some pics when you get it built. I started to do something similar but got lazy so I may get back to it at some point.

I've built two setups like this. It works pretty well if you don't have the ability to put a sump below the tank. My current tank is getting a macro algae display sump installed above the tank.

pretty much any pump with plumbing attachments will work. Just depends on how much flow you want through the sump.