Coral Vue Hydros

Tips For Fast Zoa Growth

1967type1

I have always struggled with zoas growing. They never die but they just don't spread. Im trying my luck with a few zoa frags that I added to my 10 gallon and was wondering what others do to help their zoas grow. I have a AI prime over the tank and stock return pump with the spin stream thing. 

sweetash0ney

Some take some time to settle in it seems, but I've had much more luck with frags that are glued down vs the ones that are just placed on the rock work. Possibly the minute movements of the plug irritates them enough that they don't spread. 

34 minutes ago, 1967type1 said:

I have always struggled with zoas growing. They never die but they just don't spread. Im trying my luck with a few zoa frags that I added to my 10 gallon and was wondering what others do to help their zoas grow. I have a AI prime over the tank and stock return pump with the spin stream thing. 

When you find out the guaranteed way please let everyone know. Some folks have it and others don’t. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, 1891Bro said:

When you find out the guaranteed way please let everyone know. Some folks have it and others don’t. 

I have great success with SPS corals in my 40 and I have been hands off with my 10 and the zoas in it are growing very slowly I have seen 2 new heads on both frags that have been there for over a month. I just added 4 more zoa frags today and started being a little more hands on. Started feeding benepets coral food in the 10 and hoping having food for them will help. From what I have seen over the last few years in this hobby is that zoas do not do well tank with little to no nitrates but thats as far as I have gotten so far.

Zoas are odd. What works for one doesn't seem to work for another. 

I have them in 3 tanks. All different experiences in each.

In my 10g they were spreading quickly. Nothing special was done besides weekly reef roid broadcast feeding, weekly water changes, and stable Params.

25g-  can't keep them at all. System is identical in feeding/maintenance as 10g. Params are all the same but my nitrates in my 25g are higher than the 10g. 5ppm vs 2ppm.

5g- 2 different zoas are growing very quickly. 1 type not at all.

Feed the tank weekly, weekly water changes, low nutrient levels.

• Thanks 1
Dreichler

Try target feeding with reef roids.  I target feed it to every coral I have 2-3 times per week.  Some zoas are just slow growers.  I’ve got maybe 30 colonies, some of which grow one head per month and others grow 8 heads per month.  But the reef roids definitely help with growth and color.  I’ve also noticed that increasing my flow has had an effect on my zoas as far as how well they open and they seem to grow a little faster and “tighter” together.

• Thanks 1
1967type1

I feed benepets weekly right now but that’s more of a broadcast feeder but I should try and switch back to reefroids for target feeding 

Dreichler

Yes, I would say give reed roids another try.  I live in South Florida and there are a BUNCH of LFS that actually are reef specific and only sell saltwater/reef products and livestock.  That being said, ALMOST ALL OF THEM use reef roids to feed their tanks.  Another thing I’ve purhased in the past year was the Polyp Lab Polyp Booster I think it’s called...  You dose I think 1mL per 50 gallons about 5 minutes prior to feeding, and it triggers a reflex in the corals to get ready for a feeding time.  Instead of the corals having to react to food being placed on it, the coral will immediately start absorbing the food because it’s alreay in the state of “ready to accept food”.  

I’ve also noticed after experimenting with each method for about 3-4 months, Broadcast feedings (just pouring it in with pumps on) doesn’t seem to achieve the same coloration as target feeding with pumps off.  Growth rates were about the same, target feeding being a little more impressive.  

• Thanks 1

Some types are just slow and others spread like pests. 

Utter chaos and rastas grow so soo fast for me they could easily take over. My best growers by far while others hardly spread. 

Idk how they can ask the price tag they do when they repopulate so fast. 

• Like 1