Innovative Marine Aquariums

sand or no? also like fixture

kgb

hey guys i hav been reading lots of stuff from this web site and keeping learning and getting more questions to ask.

ok i have crush coral (7lb) in the bottom of my 20 gal . should i get some sand and mix it in wit hthe coral? also i have 4 lb of lr and after school today i am going to buy 4 more lbs.

i have a NO floresent light on my tanks and some of my coral has small tube corals on it already (just came on the lr ). also i got 5 free hermit crabs . the tank has bee ncycleing for bout 1 week. next friday buying a 2x55 watt light with the normal 10000 and the atinic light. that combo by sealife (i think that th name )

i have one power head going (174 gal/hour)and a skilter 250 going for filtration. there are little whirl pools going on.

is there any thing else i should get for the tank ?

ow yeah also i am wondring what should i use for a light fixture. the guy from the lfs told me that i should use a peice of gutter and attach my light to that . is there any hting else i could use for it ?

you can check ahsupply.com for fixtures or some of the members here are very handy and skilled at woodworking.

i agree with dave on the cc. at the very least i'd recommend removing 5~6 lbs and mixing in sand to around 2". that's jmo and another debate coming on though. :P

Holy Crap!! three post in a row agreeing with each other. Get rid of the crushed coral, use playsand or live sand.

Might want to add one more small powerhead(microjet?) for alternating or conflicting current.

;)

so i leave some of the cc in the tank but take the majority out and then add play sand ? what kind from home depot ? then i should just seed it right ?

any thing else ?

ok also i think i have to many hermit crabs ion my tank my lr seems to be losing algea every day and i think it is my crabs eating it what should i do ? should i be worried?

also i saw a small slug eating the algea to hrmm

I agree with everyone on the sand issue... Mix in some oolitic aragonite sand if you can find it! This stuff is really white and will actually increase the lighting in your tank a little bit (by bouncing the light back, rather than absorbing it). Remove some of the crushed coral if you have to... The problem isn't really the coral itself, but the space it leaves inbetween the grains... Hermits don't really do a bang up job on algae, so they probably wont destroy your algae population... and the "slug" you saw is probably a stomatella varia -just a guess w/o knowing anything else... he will eat algae and will make a great addition to your clean-up crew IF this is what he is... ;)

my tank has the aragonite crushed coral not the huge crushed coral and i dont have any problems with it. it stays clean all the time and you can see bristle works burrowing through it. i do wish i had the finer stuff because it just looks nicer but functionally mine seems fine.

hey guys ok for the lighting i got some questions

ok the guy from the lfs told me that if i use any ballast for the 24" 2x55 watt light that it wouldnt get the tempatures right and cause harm and or alea booms ? this true or just some dumb advice to sell exspensive stuff. also any of the stores light hellolighting or what ever the lighting companys are called are the prices in us currency?

also is it possible to make my own light and if so how hehe i would be using a 24" coral life 2x55 bulb

Archived