inTank Media Baskets

Money Cowrie (Monetaria moneta)

seabass

3 hours ago, seabass said:

These aren't all that commonly available.  Just letting people know that Aquarium Depot currently has 10 in stock (on sale too):

https://aquariumdepot.com/money-cowrie-monetaria-moneta-small/

It's a reef safe herbivore from the Indo-Pacific.

I have two cowries from there. I hear horrible things about them but have ordered from them multiple times and never had an issue. 

Cowries are so cool crawling around the tank. :)  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jamescstein said:

one in the same I believe.

You are correct.  They are Alive2Go/Reefs2Go.  Yeah, mixed reviews.  I figured there were enough positive reviews to take a chance.  I've never ordered from them before.

Money cowries (or gold ring cowries) are the best! I got one years ago as a hitch hiker and have had at least one of these in my tanks ever since... they devour algae and don't do damage to anything else. Beyond that, they are just a cool invert :)

15 minutes ago, seabass said:

Still 2 in stock.

My order shipped today (2 day).  I'll post an update when it arrives on Wednesday.

The picture currently on their website is of my Cowrie in my 75. 

• Like 2
32 minutes ago, seabass said:

That's so cool.

They send you an email after your purchase asking for reviews on the items you purchased and if they choose your review they give you a discount on your next purchase.  :)  

• Thanks 1

http://thereeffarm.com/nano-reef/misc/050218e.jpg

I'm no cowrie expert, but I believe I received two Cypraea moneta (money cowries) and a Monetaria annulus (gold ring cowrie) or possibly a Cypraea moneta rhomboides (also a money cowrie).  In either case, this is acceptable to me.  All of the snails (and the rest of the shipment) were fine.  Cowrie experts, have I identified these correctly?

Here's my shipment:

My order arrived UPS second day air yesterday around 6:30 PM last night.  I was starting to get worried about it as it got later and later.  But fortunately, it arrived and everything was fine.

http://thereeffarm.com/nano-reef/misc/050218a.jpg

http://thereeffarm.com/nano-reef/misc/050218b.jpg

http://thereeffarm.com/nano-reef/misc/050218c.jpg

http://thereeffarm.com/nano-reef/misc/050218d.jpg

My Aquarium Depot Order:
4) Astrea Snail (Turbo fluctuosa)
1) Single Polyp of Bad Mamma Jamma Zoanthids Coral (Palythoa sp)
2) Banded Tiger Trochus Snails (Trochus sp.)
2) Cerith Snail (Cerithiidae sp.)
2) Extra Large Cerith Snail (Cerithiidae sp.)
3) Green Ricordea Florida Coral (Ricordea florida)
1) 10+ Polyps of Hurricane Zoanthids (Zoanthus sp.) FREE
1) Macro Algae for Promo FREE
3) Money Cowrie (Monetaria moneta)
2) Porcelain Crab Blue (Porcellana sayana)
1) 10+ Polyps of Radio Active Dragon Eye Zoanthids Coral (Zoanthus sp.) FREE
4) Tapestry Nerite Snail

1) 2nd day air shipping FREE

• Like 5
MainelyReefer

Wait until the first time you see the money cowries at night and their flesh fully covers their shell, it's quite the sight

• Like 1
mndfreeze

maaaaaan, its already too hot to really order livestock online here now. (I live in phoenix) and all our local stores only ever seem to have the biiiig cowries like the chestnuts and tigers.  😕

Its going to hit over 100 here this weekend. booo.

• Like 1
tdannhauser30

Good to see a good review from them too, I've always had good luck with that company despite the horrible history they have

Snow_Phoenix

I had a pair about two years back. Very good diatom cleaners. Whatever you do, don't get tiger cowries. I repeat, do NOT get tiger cowries. I brought home one, thinking it was only an algae-eater. By the time I woke up the next morning, the blasted thing had eaten my entire duster worm, and was working his way on nomming my soft corals. I banished him to the sump and fed him meaty foods until I could return him to the store. 

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes, excellent tank mates, no incompatibilities that I've noticed (even with macro algae).  But unfortunately, I did lose one (just two days ago).  If I had to guess, I'd suspect just not enough micro and/or hair algae for it.  Haven't had that problem in awhile.

Fun fact: Money cowries were so named because they make a "clinking" noise when handled in larger groups, which sounds a little like pocket change.

I've never spotted the porcelain crabs either. :mellow:  I assume they are still alive (I've never found a molt or a body yet either).  Both were very much alive when they arrived.  Short of lifting up the rocks, I'm not sure where else to look for them.

• Like 2
Snow_Phoenix
9 hours ago, seabass said:

I've never spotted the porcelain crabs either. :mellow:  I assume they are still alive (I've never found a molt or a body yet either).  Both were very much alive when they arrived.  Short of lifting up the rocks, I'm not sure where else to look for them.

Do you have any corals with tentacles or long, flowery polyps (eg. clove polyps) in them? I once brought home this weird porcelain crab (wasn't the standard variety) and it *vanished. I found him about a week later, nestled safely amongst my torch's tentacles. Sometimes they do like to hide in those wavy-type of corals. I personally find porcelains shy, but wonderful to watch (once you've figured out where they're hiding). I think both of yours are still alive, just well-hidden. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks, yeah that tank is full of rock flower anemones with lots of porous rock and macro algae for them to hide in.  I've been looking, but no luck yet.  I haven't given up on them.

• Like 1