Pod Your Reef

what coral(s) should i get next

ihglifelol

hi, i got a 5 gallon nano that im turning into a reef tank.

Any coral ideas that i can add next.

got an acan and duncan right now.

what coral(s) should i get next

20180426_195242.jpg

HarryPotter

Right- so maybe wait until it looks happy before buying more? You have very little rock, you dont want to overwhelm the tank. 

I would suggest that you get a CUC maybe, some snails to eat the algae. Are you using RODI water? 

Im not sure why you have a bubbler. 

my cuc is small so i might order some turbos. i do have a limpet, a chesnut,nasarius and a dwarf cerith

my blenny sucks at eating algae

i use caribsea seapure water

• Haha 1
HarryPotter

I mean for topping off the tank when water evaporates- what water do you use then?

Do you have basic test kits to know your water parameters, such as salinity (How salty it is) or ammonia? 

How old is it? 

Bubbler doesn't really have a place in a reef tank that has reasonable circulation. 

tanks 3 months. i use that water refill. I have a test kit and my salinity, ph etc are fine. I might remove the bubbler. the salt is fine. 

those polyps havnt opened in 4 days, howev getting beter.

i removed the bubbler and placed the duncan where it was. I now have room for new rock.

blennys now fussy though, but he will like the rock ill get him.

the duncan is standing, that might make it happy

CarolinaShoreReef

If this is the spec v, idk if the light is the same as for the sea evo v. I honestly wouldn’t think that the stock light on the evo could handle a Duncan colony or acans. 

That's what I was looking at, the light. Looks like you have the Fluval Spec V, made for freshwater. The Fluval Evo V made for saltwater. Same tank, just different colors, and the lights are different. I'd at least find Fluval Evo V light, should be cheap, and get you by for now. 

The light on the spec v is not suitable for corals. 

The spectrum is for freshwater plants and low light plants.

You might get away with plain mushrooms.

Are you topping up evaporated water with the salt water?

A Little Blue

In general, a wise suggestion would be:  If you can’t keep GSP alive for 3 months don’t ask for Acro suggestion. Politeness isn’t helping. 

9 hours ago, CarolinaShoreReef said:

If this is the spec v, idk if the light is the same as for the sea evo v. I honestly wouldn’t think that the stock light on the evo could handle a Duncan colony or acans. 

8 hours ago, xthunt said:

That's what I was looking at, the light. Looks like you have the Fluval Spec V, made for freshwater. The Fluval Evo V made for saltwater. Same tank, just different colors, and the lights are different. I'd at least find Fluval Evo V light, should be cheap, and get you by for now. 

ok ill fixit

HarryPotter
15 minutes ago, ihglifelol said:

or if i cant find it. maybe an anemone tank

Anemones need even more light than what you have. Please do research to avoid killing critters. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, ihglifelol said:

ok or maybe a planted tank 

like a coastal reef low light corals and low light macro algae

The light you have is for freshwater plants.

The best thing you can do at this point is research. Lots of research.

You have minimal rock in the tank, alot of algae, and inappropriate lighting.

The first thing to do is research, the second thing is getting a better light.

Then worry about corals

I had a spec V as well and felt bad putting my fish and coral in there for 2 days during a move using the stock light.  Def need an upgrade on that.  Take it from a fellow newbie listen to the people on here they are very knowledgeable and be patient it pays off 10 fold by not rushing.  Many great articles on here to help