Innovative Marine Aquariums

First time drilling a tank

Toxic enigma

Toxic enigma

I'm planning to try drilling a glass tank this weekend for the first time, and since I've never done this before I wanted to get some opinions on my planned placement for the holes. Also does anyone that's done this before have any tips on drilling glass?

1524755855544481811854.jpg

Placement depends on the overflow your using as it will determine the water height. Drilling seems scary but its not, take it slow and keep it wet. If you can, take it outside and keep a hose running on it while your drilling. Don't apply pressure, just let the weight of the drill do the work. Starting the cut is the hardest as the drill may slip so if your overflow came with a guide use that or take some 2xs or plywood and make a guide to sit the bit in.

• Like 1
Toxic enigma
1 hour ago, Arce said:

Placement depends on the overflow your using as it will determine the water height. Drilling seems scary but its not, take it slow and keep it wet. If you can, take it outside and keep a hose running on it while your drilling. Don't apply pressure, just let the weight of the drill do the work. Starting the cut is the hardest as the drill may slip so if your overflow came with a guide use that or take some 2xs or plywood and make a guide to sit the bit in.

I'm planning on using a screw in strainer screen on the inside of the tank and doing an external durso style overflow, as most of the boxes I've seen seemed like they would take up alot of space and become a pain to clean around in such a small tank

• 1 month later...