Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Jbm's 20 Long adventure new fts 10/19/2018

JBM

So for kicks and giggles I tested my water parameters.

ammonia 0

nitrite 0

nitrate <5ppm

calcium 460-480

phosphate .1

Temp 76.7

doing a 4 gallon water change today

• Like 1

In a effort to lower my phosphate even further and grow chaeto/macro algae Im going to be creating a hob reactor. Ive purchased these two items.  Along with a air pump. 

The idea is age old.  Slow flow, light in the right spectrum. Lower phosphates, and compete with nuisance algae. 

I'll be writing a small diy aswell.

Screenshot_20180915-231348_Amazon Shopping.jpg

20180915_231414.jpg

• Like 1
12 hours ago, JBM said:

In a effort to lower my phosphate even further and grow chaeto/macro algae Im going to be creating a hob reactor. Ive purchased these two items.  Along with a air pump. 

The idea is age old.  Slow flow, light in the right spectrum. Lower phosphates, and compete with nuisance algae. 

I'll be writing a small diy aswell.

Screenshot_20180915-231348_Amazon Shopping.jpg

I've been using the same grow light with pretty good results.  

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, specore said:

I've been using the same grow light with pretty good results.  

That's great news.  The expected flow through this refugium is really slow (expected 20-30gph)

Plenty of contact time to nearly strip the phosphates away. 

If it doesnt work out. I can use the light on a ac110 or something else with more flow

Well,  i got my amazon package in the mail.  Ripped it open when i got home and started setting things up. 

It fits like a glove where i wanted it to go.  It's larger then expected (good thing) but man is it terribly loud. The slurping noise is terrible.  It's so loud i can hear it over my 18,000 btu in wall ac on high. Yuck!

I have to figure out how to quiet this thing down.

• Like 1

I have a day off (lol what is that with 4 kids) So i hooked it back up, and stuffed a small bit of poly fill in the output. The gurgling has subsided to quieter then a HOB skimmer level. AKA tolerable.

Waiting to find some free chaeto locally. Then i'll update with more pictures

• Like 2

Ordered a 2g snail package from reefcleaners & chaeto (plus the $0.01 algae sample)

It came in the mail today.

Pictures for documentary purposes when I get home

So, turns out the timer i had my fuge light on is no good.  Looks like the cheap design stopped the contacts from opening. Light has been on for the entire time. 

Jury is still out on if i want to run 24hr light cycle or reverse. Gotta dig up some threads and reading the pros and cons of each.