Innovative Marine Aquariums

Jbm's 20 Long adventure new fts 10/19/2018

JBM

Well,  fuge has been running for 21 days now.  Chaeto has at least tripled in size and density. 24 hour lighting was the right choice. 

Picture tomorrow

• Like 2
14 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Nice! In all the time I've been keeping tanks, I have failed at growing chaeto every time 😞

What kind of fish are the new guys? Damsels?

growing chaeto has been a vicious cycle for me. It grows and grows and grows, then it dies completely (im guessing lack of food source). So i wait a few months then repeat process.

Yes, the new guys are "blue devils" or Chrysiptera cyane.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Just a bit of a rant here.

I bought a box (not the bucket) the 200g box of Instant ocean, some time ago. Finally used the last of the first bag (because they come 4 to a box). Went into my hall closet where i keep the box of salt & found the other 3 bags were rock hard. Decided to toss them, not worth the risk of something being low. Just stinks to throw away 150 gallons worth of salt.

Bought a bucket of Instant ocean instead, has a rubber seal. hopefully that works out better. I also noticed it mixed up much faster. maybe just placebo.

Standard 4g water change in the books. Test results tomorrow.

1 hour ago, JBM said:

Just a bit of a rant here.

I bought a box (not the bucket) the 200g box of Instant ocean, some time ago. Finally used the last of the first bag (because they come 4 to a box). Went into my hall closet where i keep the box of salt & found the other 3 bags were rock hard. Decided to toss them, not worth the risk of something being low. Just stinks to throw away 150 gallons worth of salt.

Bought a bucket of Instant ocean instead, has a rubber seal. hopefully that works out better. I also noticed it mixed up much faster. maybe just placebo.

Standard 4g water change in the books. Test results tomorrow.

Must have been old to go hard in sealed bags!

I find mine gets hard in my basement because of dampness.  I went and used it anyway and no harm came to the tank.  Maybe I was just lucky, I don't know.

1 hour ago, JBM said:

it was less then a year ago.

That is strange.  I've purchased IO in the 200g case before and know I've kept the bags at least that long without issue.  

3 hours ago, specore said:

That is strange.  I've purchased IO in the 200g case before and know I've kept the bags at least that long without issue.  

So have I. Im a instant ocean reefer. It's cheap,  it doesn't have added anything. It is readily available everywhere. Did i mention it's cheap,  and always mixes to acceptable softie/lps reef specs?

3 hours ago, vlangel said:

I find mine gets hard in my basement because of dampness.  I went and used it anyway and no harm came to the tank.  Maybe I was just lucky, I don't know.

I read that what minerals are in it,  can sometimes sink to the bottom of the salt batch when it gets hard.  So in my case.  10 water changes would mix up low in calcium and ph, then the last 2 or 3 would be stupid high. Not worth the risk especially with sensitive live stock like bubble coral and a LTA. $40 is cheap peace of mind.

I made a second post, because it's tentative.  A coworker is looking to get out of the hobby. He also happens to need some mechanical work done on his car.  So,  as payment im tempted to take this. 

60g deep blue frag tank (48x24x13)

Acrylic sump

No name skimmer

Hydor smart ato

Eheim 1260 return pump

20181107_1827231.jpg

• Like 1

I wonder if the salt was older when you got it and that's why it went hard so fast? I used IO for years for the same reasons. Only thing I didn't like was the residue that never fully mixed in. I use Aqua Forest's sea salt now, not too pricey and mixes beautifully clean every time. 

That frag tank would be really sweet!

6 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

I wonder if the salt was older when you got it and that's why it went hard so fast? I used IO for years for the same reasons. Only thing I didn't like was the residue that never fully mixed in. I use Aqua Forest's sea salt now, not too pricey and mixes beautifully clean every time. 

That frag tank would be really sweet!

Thats a good possibility that it was older. I bought it from a local forum member that bred clowns. Who knows when he bought it. But with his systems (5 75g breeding racks) i doubt salt was left laying around long.

The low boy would end up being my display lagoon. Ive found over the years i like shallow tanks better.

• Like 1

D'oh, read the whole thread and answered my question haha. Thanks! 

That upgrade though... What a dream of a tank! post pictures as soon as its set up! Will be looking forward to it.

Cheers!

Edited by PapoReef
added comment
  • Like 1
19 hours ago, JBM said:

Went to see my upgrade today.  Should be bringing it home next week. 48x24x13

20181112_192654.jpg

Nice tank.  It should be great for a reefer looking for a lagoon.  I can't wait to see it up and running.

• Like 1
On 11/13/2018 at 1:28 PM, PapoReef said:

Well, thanks a lot! I'll take your schedule as a base and work on mine. BTW how many coral moon box do you use for that tank?

currently i have one with the wider optics over my 20 long. I will be forced to use my par 38 temporarily along side the coral moon box until i can acquire a second one to light the 48" span. Ive seen people use 1 coral moon on a 40 breeder, and ive seen people use 3 on a 110 tall.

On 11/13/2018 at 3:40 PM, vlangel said:

Nice tank.  It should be great for a reefer looking for a lagoon.  I can't wait to see it up and running.

its not exactly the 220 ive always wanted. But until our living space increases. It's a perfect upgrade, and should allow me to grow whatever i want

• Like 3

So, as some of you may know. The north east was hit with a snow storm. Nyc specifically was not prepared. I am a emergency response utility mechanic. I was slated to respond to power outages the night of the snow storm. Sadly i never made it into work.

I am ok, still sore. But doing ok. Van is totalled.

20181114_184500.jpg

• Wow 1

Hope you're doing okay, car accidents are never fun.

Other than that, your tank is coming along nicely, any plans to swap to BB? I'm curious of how irritating that stuff can be for a 20G long.

19 hours ago, cocodriz said:

Hope you're doing okay, car accidents are never fun.

Other than that, your tank is coming along nicely, any plans to swap to BB? I'm curious of how irritating that stuff can be for a 20G long.

Everyday is a small percentage better then the day prior. 

Ive managed to get my gha under control,  and the sand bed is always clean now.  So the sand stays.