Innovative Marine Aquariums

Jbm's 20 Long adventure new fts 10/19/2018

JBM

On 6/1/2018 at 3:02 AM, Lula_Mae said:

Looks good!  Hope the black sand doesn't give you any trouble with algae lol.

On 6/1/2018 at 12:06 PM, JBM said:

I hope not either, if it does. It'll slowly get vacuumed out

I had algae issues in a tank with black sand but I don’t think it was the sands fault. 

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, TheRope said:

Tanks looking fantastic!!

tanks alot 😀, New box is only a month old, but things are going well.

I'm due for a water change, So, a 3 gallon w/c is on the books for right now. I did get 3 new frags at the lfs today, but sadly my ifail camera is on the fritz and wont focus.

It seems as tho the pseudochromis and clown are best buddies. They are seen swimming with each other constantly, well. Until the pseudo notices i'm watching. Then it threatens me (swims right up to the glass and fans both its fins out).. It still wont eat pellets, but eats mysis willingly. Will have to try some clam and squid

Cleaner shrimp eats everything, has even been seen noshing on the sand, which is odd to me

• Like 1

It saddens me to report that the cleaner shrimp has passed during a molt. 

Water parameters check out only thing that's slightly out of range is nitrate, which is currently at 5ppm. 

Going to do a 3 gallon water change today. Check parameters tomorrow. 

Ooooo nice! Sorry about the cleaner shrimp. It's weird how they do just fine and then suddenly can't make it through a molt. I had the same thing happen with my first one in the 40g.

• Thanks 1
On 6/3/2018 at 2:45 PM, 1891Bro said:

I had algae issues in a tank with black sand but I don’t think it was the sands fault. 

Black sand can be magnetic. Be careful with your algae scraper. 

2 hours ago, Sancho said:

Black sand can be magnetic. Be careful with your algae scraper. 

That too. But I still thing the algae was my fault and not the ferrous ness of the black sand. 

I have been keeping a eye on the sand. It does seem to have a wee bit of algae growth. Not sure if that's bc black sand, or bc lack of maintenance. 

I have been debating adding in some more live rock in the center area, to slow more frag placement  

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Im sorry for going ghost for almost a month. Life has a funny way of re prioritizing your needs and wants.

The tank is still chugging along. It is very over due for a water change. And I now have some GHA to battle (it's on the rocks, not the sand) Im quiet sure it's from wifie leaving the kitchen window shade wide open and my loving minions (kids) over feeding.

Water change this week, and pictures promised...

• 1 month later...
On 7/3/2018 at 1:36 PM, debbeach13 said:

Looking forward to seeing how things are looking. Are you seeing any growth with that light?

Im sure there has been growth, unfortunately I have not seen it. Maybe that's because I look at the tank everyday.

Ive gotten the GHA under control, while it's not gone. It's most certainly receding. it's a slow and steady battle which I am ever slowly winning

Clown is still extremely skiddish, and is not a open swimmer. Meaning it likes to hide most of the time, either in the upper trim or next to the power head. It eats just fine, just not a camera ham.

Oh, and a side note, I finally ditched the less then stellar iphone 6 plus for the more favorable samasung galaxy s9 plus. Much better pictures are being accumulated and will be dumped eventually

• Like 1

I moved some of the corals around. And chucked in a few pieces of very old dead rock to change the aqua scape up a bit. 

Going to finally build a closed loop for this. 

Woke up this morning,  and immediately entered panic mode. 

My anemone disappeared. 

It showed up a few hours later. Of course in true anemone fashion,  facing the wrong way. Le sigh

20180826_125553.jpg