Top Shelf Aquatics

Which lighting for these corals?

Dgameman1

Hey all! I plan on having an Innovative Marine 10 gallon fusion nuvo tank.

These are the corals that are the MOST important

Button Polyps
Green Star Polyp
Toadstool Leather
Mushroom
Kenya Tree
Hammer Coral 

If possible

Clam ( Which one?)

Nice to have but don't really care

Anemone

I read about the AI Prime Hd lights and how they would be great for everything I'd want.

But what if I was looking for a more budget friendly option knowing I wouldn't get a Clam or an Anemone, what would you guys suggest?

Thanks!!

8 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

Clam? Save your money and the animal. 

That's what I figured, that's why they're in the if possible category :P

A Little Blue

Don’t do it. Clam in 10g tank is a no, no. For one, they need some space and do best in larger, established, nutrient rich yet stable, pristine parameters aquariums. You might get away with smaller rock anemones but I will caution you to get RBTA or similar anemones. As far as light is concerned, well Prime will support most but the most light demanding corals, clams or nems. I don’t want to discourage you but to save you some grief, money and animals. 

We all have been there and done that (rookie mistakes). 

Cheers

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, A Little Blue said:

Don’t do it. Clam in 10g tank is a no, no. For one, they need some space and do best in larger, established, nutrient rich yet stable, pristine parameters aquariums. You might get away with smaller rock anemones but I will caution you to get RBTA or similar anemones. As far as light is concerned, well Prime will support most but the most light demanding corals, clams or nems. I don’t want to discourage you but to save you some grief, money and animals. 

We all have been there and done that (rookie mistakes). 

Cheers

Yeah that makes sense!

I mean you're the one with the experience so I'd be crazy not to listen to what you have to say!

I appreciate it :)

Do you feel like I really need something like an AI prime HD for the corals I want tho?

A Little Blue
1 hour ago, Dgameman1 said:

Yeah that makes sense!

I mean you're the one with the experience so I'd be crazy not to listen to what you have to say!

I appreciate it :)

Do you feel like I really need something like an AI prime HD for the corals I want tho?

I am no expert and you should run from anyone who claims to be one. We are all learning from one another.  We all have made some mistakes at one point and surely will make some in the future. Read, ask questions, take small steps, be consistent and patient and you will be successful and have fun while doing so. 

As to light requirements for corals from your list well, no you don’t “need” Prime. You can save some money and get something else or buy used. I am no expert on lighting since I have been loyal to Kessil brand for the past decade (7yrs to be exact) and don’t have much experience with other brands. 

Edit: Forgot to ask you, have you looked into Kessil A80? Almost 1/2 the price of Prime and enough for corals on your list and tank of your size. There are some cheaper eBay and Amazon LED lights but I can’t recommend something I haven’t tried or owned. 

Edited by A Little Blue
Light recommendation
  • Like 1

I might do the prime because it has the controller.

The a80 would be perfect but there's no way to set a lighting schedule without the controller and that point the price is essentially an AI prime hd

HarryPotter
5 minutes ago, Dgameman1 said:

The a80 would be perfect but there's no way to set a lighting schedule without the controller and that point the price is essentially an AI prime hd

The prime would be great for a fusion 10- a buddy of mine uses one and he is growing out my SPS frags just fine :) 

• Like 1
A Little Blue
18 minutes ago, Dgameman1 said:

Well, there is a way and cheap one too, but we all like the latest toys. So I do get it. When I had Kessil 150 (not cntrolabe version) I have used simple $6 timer. Now you can get WiFi plug/timer that can be controlled with you phone or tablet for $15. 

HarryPotter
3 minutes ago, Dgameman1 said:

For those of you that have the AI prime HD, do you guys feel like the fan is noisy? Cause it would be in my bedroom

I didn’t think it was noisy at all. Besides, at night the fan is off. You could buy it from amazon prime, they have a 30 day “no questions asked” return policy.

11 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

Well, there is a way and cheap one too, but we all like the latest toys. So I do get it. When I had Kessil 150 (not cntrolabe version) I have used simple $6 timer. Now you can get WiFi plug/timer that can be controlled with you phone or tablet for $15. 

I was thinking about that, but that doesn't really let you dim it and stuff, so it would either be full capacity or off :o

8 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

I didn’t think it was noisy at all. Besides, at night the fan is off. You could buy it from amazon prime, they have a 30 day “no questions asked” return policy.

Hmmmm. I'll look around for some deals but does seem like a solid option for sure

A Little Blue

True. On/Off is lame. Still works tho ?

And I am sure you could score one under a $100 (open box or lightly used) and no fan. Lol 

• Like 1
Just now, A Little Blue said:

True. On/Off is lame. Still works tho ?

And I am sure you could score one under a $100 (open box or lightly used) and no fan. Lol 

Lmao very good point :P

I'm checking out Craigslist and Ebay but nothing good!

Where do you guys usually go to check out used stuff?

A Little Blue
Just now, Dgameman1 said:

Lmao very good point :P

I'm checking out Craigslist and Ebay but nothing good!

Where do you guys usually go to check out used stuff?

I usually buy locally (2nd hand) and hunt deals on line around major holidays. 4th July is soon ?. 

And no, I am not trying to make you buy what you don’t want to.. Just be smart about it. Especially when you are working with limited budget. Does it have to be spanking new? Or can you live with a better light, used, keeping some cash in your pocket and save some $ for newest and greatest toys in the future? 

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, Dgameman1 said:

Just saying. You can plug the kessil into a cheap outlet timer. Boom! Lighting schedule. It won’t dim and fade on and blah blah, all those features are fairly new to the hobby and not needed to keep coral happy. The things have no brain. 

A Little Blue
Just now, Dgameman1 said:

Yeah I feel. I just thought that I need the whole schedule dimming and all that to properly acclimate corals?

Doesn’t matter what you get. Just do not buy into a hype and save your $$$ if you can. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, 1891Bro said:

Just saying. You can plug the kessil into a cheap outlet timer. Boom! Lighting schedule. It won’t dim and fade on and blah blah, all those features are fairly new to the hobby and not needed to keep coral happy. The things have no brain. 

You're absolutely right!

I 'm just worried about bleaching corals and all that if I'm not able to have them dimmed and stuff?

6 minutes ago, Dgameman1 said:

Yeah I feel. I just thought that I need the whole schedule dimming and all that to properly acclimate corals?

It can be done without.  How did all those folks keep reed tanks with just halides and timers? I don’t know. But they sure did it. 

Edit: they kept reef tAnks and reed tanks I guess. 

Lmao omg. I didn't realize the kessil a80 had a knob to adjust intensity.

I'm gonna manually adjust the intensity to turn it up every weekish or whatever and then get a cheapo timer to turn them on and off

You guys are literally amazing.

Thank you!

1 minute ago, Dgameman1 said:

You're absolutely right!

I 'm just worried about bleaching corals and all that if I'm not able to have them dimmed and stuff?

Bleaching can happen. Temp too high boom. Too much light boom. Too much/little tho is or that boom. I’m on a boom roll. Stable temp and salinity is the most important thing. The rest is important too. But hard temp and salinity swings make shit go whackadoo fast. And ammonia but I assume you know that already. 

• Like 1
A Little Blue
5 minutes ago, Dgameman1 said:

You're absolutely right!

Answer? Hight adjustment ;) 

And photosynthesis  period  acclimation. Say from 8hrs a day to 10-12 hrs a day over several weeks. Bingo. 

• Like 2