Pod Your Reef

what now???

damdic

In my 10g I put 20lbs of live Aragonite reef sand (I Know it's not live it's in a sealed bag But it was wet) it has been running since Saturday.

First, can I put LR in it this coming Saturday or do I need to wait until the sand cycles??

Second, what do I add to my sand to make it really live??

You should add the live rock as soon as possibe... I just set up my tank two weeks ago with 20lbs. of aragonite and some live rock from my old tank as well as some cured rock from aquatic and my tank is covered with little critters.. what you can do is purchase some live sand from a LFS's tank and use that to seed your sand.

harbingerofthefish

IWT if you waited for the sand to cycle, then added the rock, you would start another cycle. I know patience is a virtue in this hobby, but this is probally the only time you should "rush" things ;)

Add the rock, this will also help to seed your sand. If you want more diverse life in your sand, see if you can't find some eople to donate a little from their tanks. After you add the rock wait for the tank to cycle before adding livestock. Don't even add a cleaning crew until it is cycled and you see some algae, otherwise they will have nothing to eat. Like harbinger said enjoy the only time in this hobby you can do something quickly. Good Luck;)

Archived