Innovative Marine Aquariums

Nano-Reef Question

ENGINEER

I am thinking of setting up a nano-reef. I would like the tank to house a small clown with an anemone big enough to host the clown. I do not plan to add anything else except for a cleanup crew. I am thinking of 5.5 or 10g, however, I am not sure if this is a suitable size. Can anyone advise on the size I should have as well as recommendations for a cleanup crew for that size tank? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

id say anemones are a no-no. especialy if you arre a beginer( not sure if U are or not) I can't imagine an anemone and clown in a 5.5 but a gain correct me everyone if i am totaly wrong

I believe it's because they die prematurely in nanos. However, there are guys and gals here who have their clowns "make pretend" with xenias and other soft corals. Looks just as cool, if not cooler.

Maybe some of you could guide the ENGINEER to threads that feature your clowns cozying up to your softies? I bet that a search would take forever. . .

typically anenomes (the nice ones) and nanos are a no-no (heh it rhymes) but i have seen carpets and stuff kept in relatively small systems (<30g). i remember seeing a beautiful rose carpet anenome being kept by an advanced reefer.

you can try substitutes but that is really hit or miss. xenia, LPS, leathers, and others are definitely considered the rarity vs. norm (although the hosting does occur).

i've been nursing a condylactis (weed anenome :P ) in my nano in hopes it can be a host. they normally aren't (in nature) but i've had three (not including this one) act as hosts for clowns. one other purple one didn't though. of those four, one was lost in a pickling accident and two others in trips to rio X) .

if you're going to try anyways, try a cheap and pretty condy. if it doesn't work you blow about $5 vs. a hefty $70~$200 for a carpet. the condy looks ok and they're plentiful to the point of nuisance. carpets are getting rare and are the very top of the difficulty level imo.

Anenomes are tricky critters, very high mortality rate, and even higher in nanos. Try a softie substitue, and if it doesn't pair up, you have a reason to buy another coral...win win right!;)

Archived