Innovative Marine Aquariums

Flame hawkfish reef safe??

FISHnChix

I think it depends on the size of the tank and the other inhabitants.   IMO it's more aggressive than many reef fish so you would be limited as to what you could add to your tank.  No shrimp or crabs.  No small fish or timid fish.  

If you're doing a reef tank with limited inverts and only semi-aggressive to aggressive fish (in an appropriate size tank) then you'll likely be fine.  If you're wanting to add inverts or small peaceful fish then it may or may not work. It could work for a while, until it doesn't, at which time you'll have to decide what to do then.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, ajmckay said:

I think it depends on the size of the tank and the other inhabitants.   IMO it's more aggressive than many reef fish so you would be limited as to what you could add to your tank.  No shrimp or crabs.  No small fish or timid fish.  

If you're doing a reef tank with limited inverts and only semi-aggressive to aggressive fish (in an appropriate size tank) then you'll likely be fine.  If you're wanting to add inverts or small peaceful fish then it may or may not work. It could work for a while, until it doesn't, at which time you'll have to decide what to do then.

Oh my fish are ass holes.. I have a clown and a dottyback.. the flame hawk will have to hold it's own.. and onky hermits and snails .. I'm more worried about picking at corals...

A Little Blue

Not an experts on Hawks but I would put a question mark on any potential tankmate that can fit in its mouth. Pygmy Gobies or shrimps could make a tasty meal. Couldn’t tell you if they go after crabs or snails (not likely). I’m curious to hear opinion of others who owned these guys for a long time. Beautiful fish tho. 

Edit: didn’t see your last post. I think they are coral safe. At least I have not heard any horror stories in that regard. 

• Like 1
coryscritch

i had a flame hawk in a 65gallon about 10 years ago. it didn't bother my cleaner or my  banded. probably one of my favorite fish to watch, he just went from rock to rock and checked everything out.  

• Thanks 1
On 4/24/2018 at 6:24 PM, Weikel said:

So I really want one of these guys I know they are reef safe with caution?? Anyone habe any experience with these ??

It's not so much of a question of reef safe as fish safe.  They will eat smaller fish (ie small gobies and blennies).  To my knowledge though they leave corals alone. 

52 minutes ago, Jesterrace said:

It's not so much of a question of reef safe as fish safe.  They will eat smaller fish (ie small gobies and blennies).  To my knowledge though they leave corals alone. 

Thanks.. Yea my fish are pretty aggressive that's another reason for wanting a hawkfish because it's going to be able to hold it's own against my clown and dottyback

About the most a hawk fish would do to your corals is irritate them.  They like to perch so depending on what corals you have some could be affected.

• Thanks 1