Coral Vue Hydros

Goats Nuvo 10 Aquarium Journal

ReefGoat

Ok the Apex is on its way to the Dr. LOL! I must say Neptune has perfected customer service. So I had everything except my ATO set to Fallback on. Everything is currently working fine. I just plugged the ATO into the Surge protector that the EB8 is plugged into for that workaround until the base unit comes back. The corals have been in since Saturday afternoon. They seem to be loving the water so far. All three pieces have really good polyp extension and they don't seem to be losing color. I know it's only been a short time but that's a relief. I also noticed today that I GOT A FREE ZOA! It came on the little circle flat frag plug that the Montipora is on. It's really hard to get a good picture of it with my not so great cameras. Hopefully that will be a thing of the past soon. The zoa is like a bright orange outer ring and purple color with an orange ring and center dot with orange lines in the body of it going from the center to the outer ring. Kinda cool 

So the corals have been in the tank for a week. They seem to be happy! I've adjusting the ramp up from 25 percent max to 35 percent max. That's really the only change I've made. Mixing up the first water change since they've been added. Let's hope they look even better next week. 

IMG_20180608_165241_edit.jpg

This photo is kinda crappy and the green isn't showing very well because my camera is just Anti Kessil idk what it is about this camera and this light lol.  

IMG_20180608_165225_edit.jpg

Here's the cap after one week and there's that bonus Zoa I mentioned lol. I know the photos are pretty similar to last week's journal entry but oh well! 

IMG_20180609_170114_edit.jpg

• Like 1

So with me not wanting to keep fish and this being a coral only tank. I've been considering how i'm going to keep my corals hardy. Without fish poop and the natural lower nutrient situation of not having fish is going to leave my corals starved, i'm afraid. I'm thinking about starting to feed them "cyclops" the little frozen cubes and doing like a turkey baster spot feeding directly on their polyps when they are extended during the day. I'll do it when the pumps are off for a set feeding time and i'll try to do it sparingly. But my concern is that because my only CUC is snails, what's leftover and blown around is going to cause nutrient spikes that I don't want to see and possibly cause algae problems. I'll just have to start slow. Maybe feed them once a week the day before my water change. I wonder if there are other inverts that I can get that won't harm the corals but will clean up after their feedings? The reason I didn't want hermits was I was afraid they'd snack on my snails and my monti. I'll have to look into this. 

23 minutes ago, ReefGoat said:

So with me not wanting to keep fish and this being a coral only tank. I've been considering how i'm going to keep my corals hardy. Without fish poop and the natural lower nutrient situation of not having fish is going to leave my corals starved, i'm afraid. I'm thinking about starting to feed them "cyclops" the little frozen cubes and doing like a turkey baster spot feeding directly on their polyps when they are extended during the day. I'll do it when the pumps are off for a set feeding time and i'll try to do it sparingly. But my concern is that because my only CUC is snails, what's leftover and blown around is going to cause nutrient spikes that I don't want to see and possibly cause algae problems. I'll just have to start slow. Maybe feed them once a week the day before my water change. I wonder if there are other inverts that I can get that won't harm the corals but will clean up after their feedings? The reason I didn't want hermits was I was afraid they'd snack on my snails and my monti. I'll have to look into this. 

Maybe look into sexy shrimp?

• Like 1

So mixed good news and bad news. Bad news first....Apparently the the LFS that those sweet frags came from is really pesty. I dipped these corals too! So last night I noticed that the monti had a white spot on it so I hit the forums. First place I landed was possible nudibranch pest problem. Sure enough, I popped it off of the rock work and looked underneath it and there were two perfect representations of the little B*******. Poked around a little bit with a magnifying glass and sure enough there were visible eggs as well. It was only a 20 dollar frag so it's gone now. Looks like I won't be keeping montipora for a while till they're starved out, DOH! It's frustrating because I dipped these corals.......Oh well. There were also a few flatworms that I sucked out last week (5 or so). I've since treated Saliferts flatworm exit and there were no visible deaths that floated up so I think the few that hitchhiked in I fortunately got out. I followed the instructions and everything seems to be fine. I will do a followup treatment next week to make sure I get any new ones from eggs that may have been laid. I'm not too worried about those setbacks because I got into this hobby knowing it was challenging and I think that's what drew me to it. I view this as a invaluable learning experience and something that i'm sure most experienced reef keepers have had to deal with. On to the good news...........Neptune systems god bless their souls.....They fixed my controller and it's on it's way back. Due to arrive by the 18th.........So I am pretty excited about that. The girls and Julia want to buy me some coral for fathers day. I know that I said that I'd be waiting until after vacation to add more. But it just feels so empty especially since the monti is gone and the two corals that are in there are just doing so great. WHY NOT! I figure that this is the perfect time to take advantage of Aqua SD's summer sale and knock out my Acan Garden. I've picked out 4 pieces and I'm hoping they're still in stock by Friday as that's when I'll be purchasing. I'll give an updated FTS when those are in.

A Little Blue

We all hope and believe that by dipping we can avoid future disasters. And it works %99 of the time. 

And believe me, there is no such a thing as a %100 pest free frag. I don’t care who it comes from. (Unless it went thru series of dipping and Q just before getting to your home). 

Hope this problem goes away and soon. 

BTW ..... How long does it take to starve nudies?

• Like 1

From the hour or so research I did last night. It appears that Montipora eating Nudibranches feed specifically on Montipora. I find that strange.....But I found several sources saying the same thing. Apparently without Montipora in the system.......They starve. But they are some egg laying fools and there will be new sprouts of them. They have to starve as well. The average wait was a recommended 3-6 months just to be dang sure. 

A Little Blue
1 minute ago, ReefGoat said:

From the hour or so research I did last night. It appears that Montipora eating Nudibranches feed specifically on Montipora. I find that strange.....But I found several sources saying the same thing. Apparently without Montipora in the system.......They starve. But they are some egg laying fools and there will be new sprouts of them. They have to starve as well. The average wait was a recommended 3-6 months just to be dang sure. 

That’s a long freakin time. 

I wonder if there are natural predators that feed on these boogers? 

A few people mentioned specific species of fish, mainly different types of Wrasse that feed on them. But, I don't think my tank is sufficient for fish. I know that people do keep fish in the I.M 10 BUT ME PERSONALLY. I don't want to......Also I was gunning for a coral only tank with a few inverts.  I will be venturing into the fish and coral world on my next project once this is matured.  A Red Sea 170

A Little Blue

I was thinking of “renting” a fish that feeds on these type of nudies from your LFS. Especially, when frag with these pests came from them. Sounds like fair and doable solution. If you could keep it for few weeks and then bring it back, that would be nice. But I understand if you don’t want to deal with such a hustle. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Kdrof said:

Nice. Keep us posted on the experience. I keep looking at their site to potentially grab some stuff. 

I'll for sure let you know how it turns out. The family had wanted to get me some coral for fathers day and I thought about maybe driving into Houston or heading east and hitting up Reef Geeks in New Orleans. But with the 25% OFF Fathers Day sale at Aqua SD and the fact that I drive a Jeep Wrangler with giant tires......The gas would've cost more to go to either place than the $40 dollar shipping. Plus those were WYSIWYG so. That pretty much sealed the deal. 

I also have some "Reef Chili" and "Acropower" coming in soon. I can't wait to see how the corals respond to the "Reef Chili". I am going to use it sparingly at first I will likely do a direct spot feeding on the day of the weekly water change. So it'll be in and out real quick. I'm not going to use the "Acropower" until I get a few sticks in there. There have been some setbacks lately and it's been a ruff start to the Nano Reef. But I have a great outlook for the future and I'm super excited right now. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, ReefGoat said:

I also have some "Reef Chili" and "Acropower" coming in soon. I can't wait to see how the corals respond to the "Reef Chili". I am going to use it sparingly at first I will likely do a direct spot feeding on the day of the weekly water change. So it'll be in and out real quick. I'm not going to use the "Acropower" until I get a few sticks in there. There have been some setbacks lately and it's been a ruff start to the Nano Reef. But I have a great outlook for the future and I'm super excited right now. 

I use reef roids, bacter7 and koralcolor that all ivr ever used. I've heard some good things about reef chili. I like your setup. 

12 hours ago, ReefGoat said:

Here's my next haul. Just placed the order for it and i'm pumped! 

image.thumb.png.42d91b9989b449a5b3c0f4ba13ad5d99.png

Should I buy some or not lol 

• Thanks 1
A Little Blue
9 hours ago, ReefGoat said:

I hear good things about Acropower. I have used Fuel but switched to something new. 

Spot feed is all you need. Especially LPS corals. SPS get their food from various nutrients in water column so spot feeding makes no sense. Besides, most probably won’t be able to capture and digest food size that’s offered. 

Looking good. 

• Thanks 1
On 6/9/2018 at 6:00 PM, ReefGoat said:

This photo is kinda crappy and the green isn't showing very well because my camera is just Anti Kessil idk what it is about this camera and this light lol.  

IMG_20180608_165225_edit.jpg

Try the Aquariumcam app.  I had the same problem with my Kessil and the app lets you adjust the colors pretty close to what your eyes see.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
A Little Blue
1 hour ago, Type-H20 said:

Try the Aquariumcam app.  I had the same problem with my Kessil and the app lets you adjust the colors pretty close to what your eyes see.

Good app. 

2 hours ago, jdmcbuilt said:

I use reef roids, bacter7 and koralcolor that all ivr ever used. I've heard some good things about reef chili. I like your setup. 

Should I buy some or not lol 

I also dose mb7 after every water change.