ReefCleaners.org

Kessil a80 schedule ideas with NO CONTROLLER

Gaviota

I have the flval spec 3 and kessil a80 tuna. The light has an intensity knob and a color knob...Everyone seems to use a controller, which i don't have. So... how long should I run this light? How far should I turn the knobs? Thank you!

You don't need a controller, that's gravy.

For the Kessils you basically pick a color of light that you like and the onboard logic handles the spectrum mix. For intensity it depends on what you are growing, the distance to the light, etc. I just picked up the A360 for my 29cube mixed SPS tank. So far I have it up to 30% intensity and I'm slowly dialing it up. It would be cool to do a fancy ramp up schedule on the lights but I just have them on an 11 hour on time right now. I may increase that later if I can because I like to enjoy the tank in the AM and PM but we will see.

• Thanks 1

No timer outlet but i can get one...

I had both turned up to 100 high thinking more is better. Guess it's a good thing I asked! 11 hours isn't too much. Can I run the blue alone and consider that dark so i can view the tank without lighting it?

2 minutes ago, Gaviota said:

No timer outlet but i can get one...

I had both turned up to 100 high thinking more is better. Guess it's a good thing I asked! 11 hours isn't too much. Can I run the blue alone and consider that dark so i can view the tank without lighting it?

No. If you have it maxed out at blue that is still a ton of light for the corals. How light looks to us vs how it looks to corals is very different. If you want a night light you need a low power lunar type light. IMO, pick the color you like and leave it there. I have mine at maybe 40% blue but I like some of that blue pop.

You definitely want a timer. Consistency is important and it's a pain turning your own lights on. Pick up a digital one with the battery backup so you don't have to mess with it as much. Lately I've also realized that you can buy a basic aquarium controller for not too much more money than a couple of nice timers so you may want to look into that. Something like the reef keeper light is like $130 and can control your heater and gives you 4 outlets you can use for timers vs a power strip and a digital timer.

• Thanks 1