ReefCleaners.org

50W heater too much for a pico?

Disher

Is a 50W cobalt heater too much for a <4 gallon pico? I keep the house between 70-75 during warmer months and in the 65-70 range in winter, not sure if that’s relevant but any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you fellow reefers!

45 minutes ago, Disher said:

Is a 50W cobalt heater too much for a <4 gallon pico? I keep the house between 70-75 during warmer months and in the 65-70 range in winter, not sure if that’s relevant but any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you fellow reefers!

Quick answer: no, it's not too much. It will function the same as 25W or 75W. However, space in your pico is precious. The 25W is perfect and fit much better in your 3.7g.

7 hours ago, dawz2 said:

Quick answer: no, it's not too much. It will function the same as 25W or 75W. However, space in your pico is precious. The 25W is perfect and fit much better in your 3.7g.

Thanks dawz! I’ll run the 50watt for now... I want to spread my spending out as much as possible lol 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

A little late, but look into the slender 25w heater offered by Aqua Forest Aquariums.  I've had it in my 5.5 for over a year and love it, and got another for my contest jar.  I posted size comparison pics on the Creative Container Contest thread back in October or so.  Several of the contest jars wound up using it as well.