Cultivated Reef

Wrasse peaceful biocube

LJR

With my Cyno being replaced by coralline, and my tank's inhabitants being happy, I was considering getting either a sixline or a flasher wrasse for my 29 Biocube. However, I have a tank full of pacifists (Yasha Goby, Fire Fish, Bangaii Cardinal, and a Scooter blenny), and I was afraid that the sixline could torment them, and the flasher could scare them with his active swimming. While the Scooter blenny eats plenty of frozen, I also don't want the sixline to compete with him for the pods in the tank.

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? I don't want to mentally scar all my pacifist fish by adding something that would be mean to them.

I also do not want any cryptic fish please. I already have plenty of things that hide in holes, I don't need another.

I have kept many different wrasses and IMO flashers really need more space. The one's I had were so active I think they would really stress out themselves and the other tank inhabitants. A sixline would most likely be aggressive, especially when older, and it's a pod eating machine. Almost all small wrasses will out compete the scooter for pods so you may want to avoid them altogether. 

Have you considered a blenny of some kind? They are by far my favorite nano fish. So much personality. I would recommend a tailspot, bicolor or at most a Midas for that size tank.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, PDR said:

I have kept many different wrasses and IMO flashers really need more space. The one's I had were so active I think they would really stress out themselves and the other tank inhabitants. A sixline would most likely be aggressive, especially when older, and it's a pod eating machine. Almost all small wrasses will out compete the scooter for pods so you may want to avoid them altogether. 

Have you considered a blenny of some kind? They are by far my favorite nano fish. So much personality. I would recommend a tailspot, bicolor or at most a Midas for that size tank.

I figured with the flasher and the sixline. And if that is the case, I may hold off then if should. I like my scooter.

I was considering a Midas when I first started the tank, but I was afraid he'd torment the inhabitants. I have also been throwing around the idea of a tailspot, but they tend to hang around the rock, as I understand. When I scaped the tank, I arranged the rock with more width then height. So now I have a large amount of open water with nothing but the Cardinal floating around in it. The tailspot may be more trouble than it is worth IMO. I am definitely considering it though. 

Look into assessors and fang blennies. I haven’t had an assessor but I have a blackline blenny and it’s a great fish, took a bit to get adjusted but now it’s a very active piggy little fish. There’s a pic of him giving one of my hermits the stank eye (they LOVE barnacle clusters btw)

FA285D43-5C4A-4622-965A-5883E77936DC.jpeg

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, jesseatam said:

Look into assessors and fang blennies. I haven’t had an assessor but I have a blackline blenny and it’s a great fish, took a bit to get adjusted but now it’s a very active piggy little fish. There’s a pic of him giving one of my hermits the stank eye (they LOVE barnacle clusters btw)

FA285D43-5C4A-4622-965A-5883E77936DC.jpeg

Hmmm, I do like the idea of blennies. The fact that they have a bit of a nip of them spooks me though. Would a Midas blenny work? I've heard they're a mix bag. 

18 hours ago, LJR said:

Hmmm, I do like the idea of blennies. The fact that they have a bit of a nip of them spooks me though. Would a Midas blenny work? I've heard they're a mix bag. 

Never had one but that’s like a six inch fish, it might get cramped. You shouldn’t have to worry about the fang blenny biting you though unless you try to grab it with you bare hand or something, mine always give me a wide berth when I’m maintenance but I always make sure to respect its space too. I also think I read about someone hand feeding theirs on this forum too.

• Like 1

I have a local LFS looking for a possum wrasse already.  They didn't know what I was talking about at first.  Apparently they are commonly called  white banded wrasses locally.

There is also a yellow banded one, not sure if its the same species just different locale or not though, haven't researched it much yet.

I have had two midas blennies.... Both assholes.... My current one nips my dottybacks fins at times and tosses the clowns around every now and again. 

Yellow assessor is peaceful and will be visible most of the time once adjusted.