Cultivated Reef

Gamma Seal bucket lid

MSunkin23

Hey Guys,

I wanted to go ahead and recommend this bucket lid that you can get on Amazon. Its about $14 but imo with it. There is a female adapter you put on the bucket and then you can screw the lid on/off as needed. Extremely easy, and I couldn't find another option that works as well.

Right now I use this to hold fresh saltwater for water changes. Curious if anyone else uses these.

Thinking maybe to hold salt as well so its does not crystallize with residual humidity.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007KAY4S2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_dp_HBv3AbXF18WDA

• Like 2

These are great, Menards carries them for about $7 so you can save yourself some $$ there.  I use them as well and you can even pop the lid down with some force to close it with a cord hanging out from a maxijet without issue. They save me from slopping salt water all over. I originally bought them to hall water, rock, corals, fish, ect when I moved about 8 hours. 

• Like 2
A Little Blue

If they came out with clear/translucent bucket/lid, I would be all over it. It would make an extremely easy to make and inexpensive algae reactor/refugium. 

On 4/22/2018 at 8:48 PM, MSunkin23 said:

Hey Guys,

I wanted to go ahead and recommend this bucket lid that you can get on Amazon. Its about $14 but imo with it. There is a female adapter you put on the bucket and then you can screw the lid on/off as needed. Extremely easy, and I couldn't find another option that works as well.

Right now I use this to hold fresh saltwater for water changes. Curious if anyone else uses these.

Thinking maybe to hold salt as well so its does not crystallize with residual humidity.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007KAY4S2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_dp_HBv3AbXF18WDA

Yeah those things are great. I used to be able to get them at HD but haven’t seen them there lately. 

1 hour ago, A Little Blue said:

If they came out with clear/translucent bucket/lid, I would be all over it. It would make an extremely easy to make and inexpensive algae reactor/refugium. 

It’d be a bit of a chore but, you could cut out part of the lid and silicone a clear patch of acrylic or whatever to do what you’re saying. I know the lids aren’t totally flat so there’d be a mess of silicone. Still I think it’d work. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, A Little Blue said:

With some tools a person could DIY one fairly easy. Cut a circle in a lid and glue on some thin acrylic, done.

Just now, 1891Bro said:

Yeah those things are great. I used to be able to get them at HD but haven’t seen them there lately. 

It’d be a bit of a chore but, you could cut out part of the lid and silicone a clear patch of acrylic or whatever to do what you’re saying. I know the lids aren’t totally flat so there’d be a mess of silicone. Still I think it’d work. 

Ya beat me to it :)

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

With some tools a person could DIY one fairly easy. Cut a circle in a lid and glue on some thin acrylic, done.

Ya beat me to it :)

#winning

A Little Blue

3 minutes ago, 1891Bro said:

I guess it could be done. 

10 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

I guess it could be done. 

No doubt. Im too lazy to mess with it even if I needed it. Some enterprising fella will see this and get on it though. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/24/2018 at 7:41 PM, 1891Bro said:

You could just drill a hole and use a uniseal instead of silicone. This would simplify the procedure a lot. 

• Like 1