Pod Your Reef

I’ve finally got one...frogfish [pictures heavy]

RustyRocket

RustyRocket
46 minutes ago, 12scanlon said:

Srry I meant baby hellboy. Good to see he’s doing good.

hahhah not a problem. I'll take some pictures over the weekend when I'm back home. I'm slightly embarrassed at the moment since his crib has little to no flow, so algae grows like crazy in it. I'll clean it up and see what I can do for pictures. 

Maybe I should start a journal thread instead of using this announcements for updates. Im pretty sure people are getting tired of seeing this on the update page 😅

On 5/30/2018 at 2:01 PM, RustyRocket said:

hahhah not a problem. I'll take some pictures over the weekend when I'm back home. I'm slightly embarrassed at the moment since his crib has little to no flow, so algae grows like crazy in it. I'll clean it up and see what I can do for pictures. 

Maybe I should start a journal thread instead of using this announcements for updates. Im pretty sure people are getting tired of seeing this on the update page 😅

Ok cool. Also making a journal thread would be awesome!

RustyRocket
On 6/2/2018 at 12:43 PM, 12scanlon said:

Ok cool. Also making a journal thread would be awesome!

Hahah yeah maybe I should. Or maybe the admin can move this thread to the journals section.

But anyway, an update as promised.

B.Hellboy has grown about an inch or so. I underestimated how much he can actually eat and stomach. I fed him 3 of the regular ghost shrimp in one setting since he was still interested. He usually gets 1 every 3 days.  Straight after, I dropped a 1.5 inch domino damsel in with him, so when HB digests the shrimps he can catch the damsel. The damsel did not last more than a couple hours. So in 1 sitting, he’s chowed down on a damsel and 3 ghost shrimps...he’s gona get swoll! It’s been 3 days or so and he’s belly is getting slim again...I think I need to step up my feeding game. A damsel a week and more ghost shrimps in a sitting.

I couldn’t get much pictures of B.Hellboy since my set up is kind of awkward. I’m building my upgrade whilst he’s enjoying some tub time. Here’s a peek.

8B1A676A-A8BC-4AEE-BF1D-57105CB954CF.jpeg

6B202E0C-71D2-48CA-B5A2-B7CC6AF6004B.jpeg

046F0E74-525E-4E26-B633-DED27C55605F.jpeg

1 hour ago, RustyRocket said:

Hahah yeah maybe I should. Or maybe the admin can move this thread to the journals section.

But anyway, an update as promised.

B.Hellboy has grown about an inch or so. I underestimated how much he can actually eat and stomach. I fed him 3 of the regular ghost shrimp in one setting since he was still interested. He usually gets 1 every 3 days.  Straight after, I dropped a 1.5 inch domino damsel in with him, so when HB digests the shrimps he can catch the damsel. The damsel did not last more than a couple hours. So in 1 sitting, he’s chowed down on a damsel and 3 ghost shrimps...he’s gona get swoll! It’s been 3 days or so and he’s belly is getting slim again...I think I need to step up my feeding game. A damsel a week and more ghost shrimps in a sitting.

I couldn’t get much pictures of B.Hellboy since my set up is kind of awkward. I’m building my upgrade whilst he’s enjoying some tub time. Here’s a peek.

8B1A676A-A8BC-4AEE-BF1D-57105CB954CF.jpeg

6B202E0C-71D2-48CA-B5A2-B7CC6AF6004B.jpeg

046F0E74-525E-4E26-B633-DED27C55605F.jpeg

Dang that’s a lot of food! Your new setup looks pretty dope also. Frog fish are so cool I gotta get one at some point. How many gallons is that tank? 

RustyRocket
6 hours ago, 12scanlon said:

Dang that’s a lot of food! Your new setup looks pretty dope also. Frog fish are so cool I gotta get one at some point. How many gallons is that tank? 

Hahaha yeah, hope he doesnt get indigestion at some point tho 😓. For reals, they are definitely an interesting fish. If you're not screamish for feeding live food, they are definitely a joy to keep and interact with. Alto (the one who showed me the ropes) used to have a Commerson's which would beg for food. Shes trained it to feed in a tub, so whenever shes around the frogfish would swim around the top front of the tank ready to be picked up. Mines starting to recognise the tweezers as food so it comes when I wave it around in its crib. So you know...get one :)

My previous was a IM30L, its currently in a Homedepot storage trough that holds 27 gallons. I was running out of space and 30gallon for leathers is just not enough to dilute the toxins, especially when some are constantly rubbing up against each other. So picked up and repurposed a 2nd hand 65gallon 40g breeder (both for free) , DIYing everything, trying to learn how to put a plumbed system together before going big. With displacement and baffles I think the total water volume would be around 80 gallons. Which should be plenty to keep the corals from touching and toxin levels manageable concentration without over use of carbon. It'll let me put a protein skimmer in there too. 

I now just need to find a method to vertically place corals to maximise space, because the 65 is a tall tank. I'm literally not fussed about an aquascape. I'm more interested in observing coral health and growth and to show case each coral. So I'm looking for the ultimate way to shelve and fruit stand my leathers and Gorgonians XD! Any suggestions everyone?

2 hours ago, RustyRocket said:

Hahaha yeah, hope he doesnt get indigestion at some point tho 😓. For reals, they are definitely an interesting fish. If you're not screamish for feeding live food, they are definitely a joy to keep and interact with. Alto (the one who showed me the ropes) used to have a Commerson's which would beg for food. Shes trained it to feed in a tub, so whenever shes around the frogfish would swim around the top front of the tank ready to be picked up. Mines starting to recognise the tweezers as food so it comes when I wave it around in its crib. So you know...get one :)

My previous was a IM30L, its currently in a Homedepot storage trough that holds 27 gallons. I was running out of space and 30gallon for leathers is just not enough to dilute the toxins, especially when some are constantly rubbing up against each other. So picked up and repurposed a 2nd hand 65gallon 40g breeder (both for free) , DIYing everything, trying to learn how to put a plumbed system together before going big. With displacement and baffles I think the total water volume would be around 80 gallons. Which should be plenty to keep the corals from touching and

I now just need to find a method to vertically place corals to maximise space, because the 65 is a tall tank. I'm literally not fussed about an aquascape. I'm more interested in observing coral health and growth and to show case each coral. So I'm looking for the ultimate way to shelve and fruit stand my leathers and Gorgonians XD! Any suggestions everyone?

Hopefully a frog fish is in my near future. I’ve gotta save up for a new tank for him. On the other hand, I’ve never owned any leathers because my LFS sells them really expensive. I would love to get one someday though. Also I think your setup is great.  Anyway when do you think you’ll move HB outta his crib into the big tank?

• 2 months later...
Frag Factory

You got to update us on baby Hellboy my man. 

Any advice on feeding damsels? My frogfish (Ike) is about 1.5", had him just over a month and I've been feeding exclusively gut loaded ghost shrimp. I've not had any real noticeable growth but he seems super happy and has settled in well.

What size damsel should I be looking for? Do you quarantine them at all? 

I've read that freshwater feeders give them a fatty liver and causes issues there, do you think there's any truth to this?

• 1 month later...