inTank Media Baskets

I’ve finally got one...frogfish [pictures heavy]

RustyRocket

A Little Blue
3 minutes ago, glideher said:

what is so difficult in raising these little guys? im really thinking about getting a couple for my tank

Not that it’s overwhelmingly difficult. As long as they are eating and came disease/parasite free from the seller. 

I had one a long time ago and had no major issues keeping it alive. The only thing is, that there is this common theme among hobbiests..... vast majority, can not keep these guys alive for more then a year an average. 

2 hours ago, A Little Blue said:

Not that it’s overwhelmingly difficult. As long as they are eating and came disease/parasite free from the seller. 

I had one a long time ago and had no major issues keeping it alive. The only thing is, that there is this common theme among hobbiests..... vast majority, can not keep these guys alive for more then a year an average. 

hmm is that because they had disease or they just dont thrive as well as they do in the wild?

i really love these guys, would love to get one but i rather maybe not if their life span is short and hard to take care of

A Little Blue
1 hour ago, glideher said:

hmm is that because they had disease or they just dont thrive as well as they do in the wild?

i really love these guys, would love to get one but i rather maybe not if their life span is short and hard to take care of

By all means go for it. It’s just an experience I have read about, heard from others and experience myself. It’s an enigma many have tried to figure out.  Few managed to keep them for 2years plus and many failed within a year. But then again, I have been out of the hobby for a while (I mean involved) so perhaps someone can correct me on this.  I don’t know what causes it. It could be diet, diseases we can’t detect (visually or by behavior) or no know little about or something else entirely. It would be interesting to hear from people who actually had these guys for 2 years plus and their experiences. 

18 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

By all means go for it. It’s just an experience I have read about, heard from others and experience myself. It’s an enigma many have tried to figure out.  Few managed to keep them for 2years plus and many failed within a year. But then again, I have been out of the hobby for a while (I mean involved) so perhaps someone can correct me on this.  I don’t know what causes it. It could be diet, diseases we can’t detect (visually or by behavior) or no know little about or something else entirely. It would be interesting to hear from people who actually had these guys for 2 years plus and their experiences. 

thank you for the great advice, i will most def look into it,,i guess im a bit hesitant because they are so expensive lol and is there a specific type or  species that people get, e.g caribbean, mexican, african etc. ? 

A Little Blue
29 minutes ago, glideher said:

thank you for the great advice, i will most def look into it,,i guess im a bit hesitant because they are so expensive lol and is there a specific type or  species that people get, e.g caribbean, mexican, african etc. ? 

Honestly, I don't know the differences between one region or the other. The way they are being collected, kept and transport seems a bit more important to me and health of the fish in general. 

44 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

Honestly, I don't know the differences between one region or the other. The way they are being collected, kept and transport seems a bit more important to me and health of the fish in general. 

:) i really want one in my collection and i just might get one with a bit more research. thank you so much,,any reputable places you can think of?

Wondering how baby "Hellboy is adjusting to domestic life? I have a suggestion for food for what it's worth. I set up a quarantine tank in which I keep a few guppies. Sailfin mollies will switch over as well. I think on a marine diet they should provide good nutition. As the guppy or mollies breed there should be a supply of different sized feeders.

RustyRocket
On 4/26/2018 at 4:19 PM, jambon said:

Wondering how baby "Hellboy is adjusting to domestic life? I have a suggestion for food for what it's worth. I set up a quarantine tank in which I keep a few guppies. Sailfin mollies will switch over as well. I think on a marine diet they should provide good nutition. As the guppy or mollies breed there should be a supply of different sized feeders.

I am happy to report that B.Hellboy has taken his 2nd ghost shrimp in captivity, wont take it off tongs yet, but in due time. He seems happy enough to be trundling around his crib 👻

• Like 1

Wondering how baby "Hellboy is adjusting to domestic life? I have a small frogfish which I feed semi salt water guppies gut loaded. I don't want to give him huge meals because I have read they don't digest the food fast enough and the meal rots in there belly which is possible I guess. 

I got a batch of live brine shrimp today and put a few in with the frogfish... He ate them like a pro! I think they will be a big part of his diet... as long as I can gut load them. It may be a way to introduce some frozen mysis into his diet.

• Like 1
RustyRocket
On 5/5/2018 at 7:26 AM, jambon said:

Wondering how baby "Hellboy is adjusting to domestic life? I have a small frogfish which I feed semi salt water guppies gut loaded. I don't want to give him huge meals because I have read they don't digest the food fast enough and the meal rots in there belly which is possible I guess. 

I got a batch of live brine shrimp today and put a few in with the frogfish... He ate them like a pro! I think they will be a big part of his diet... as long as I can gut load them. It may be a way to introduce some frozen mysis into his diet.

👊 *Fist bump* Nice! Join the club bud! SW guppies? that's awesome, I haven't gotten a colony set up in salt water yet. I did set up a 50 gallon tub outside with 4 feeder females and 1 male the other week to just mass breed them to get them ready with B.Hellboy gets bigger. I have 2 babies already! Any that Hellboy can't keep up with in the future, I can always just give them back to the store. 

Yeah definitely stay away from the big meals. Most of the time I test my shrimp size, I would drop one in and if it seems too big, I'd pull it back out. Just get a feel for how long it takes him/her to digest and keep that to like 3/4 days max and you'll be good. 

I dont think Brineshrimp has much nutrition though, so good as a temp solution or gateway to mysis. But long term sustainable wise...I dont fancy going to the shops everyday for live brine. 

5 hours ago, RustyRocket said:

👊 *Fist bump* Nice! Join the club bud! SW guppies? that's awesome, I haven't gotten a colony set up in salt water yet. I did set up a 50 gallon tub outside with 4 feeder females and 1 male the other week to just mass breed them to get them ready with B.Hellboy gets bigger. I have 2 babies already! Any that Hellboy can't keep up with in the future, I can always just give them back to the store. 

Yeah definitely stay away from the big meals. Most of the time I test my shrimp size, I would drop one in and if it seems too big, I'd pull it back out. Just get a feel for how long it takes him/her to digest and keep that to like 3/4 days max and you'll be good. 

I dont think Brineshrimp has much nutrition though, so good as a temp solution or gateway to mysis. But long term sustainable wise...I dont fancy going to the shops everyday for live brine. 

I agree on the brine shrimp but I am loading them up on phyto plankton. It has to help a bit. I was mistaken on the guppies, I think they are platys. Anyway I have a pregnant one and a few small ones anything 5/8s inch or less should be ok. The things we do to keep up this hobby!

RustyRocket
1 hour ago, jambon said:

I agree on the brine shrimp but I am loading them up on phyto plankton. It has to help a bit. I was mistaken on the guppies, I think they are platys. Anyway I have a pregnant one and a few small ones anything 5/8s inch or less should be ok. The things we do to keep up this hobby!

Hmmm...you mentioned they are in saltwater right? Think you might be confusing them with Mollies. Platys cannot stand the level of salinity. Either way, as long as you frogfish feeds I guess :)!

RustyRocket
11 minutes ago, OldManSea said:

Mollies are good.  I got a few to begin breeding them for Rocky.  

I'm thinking about the same. Are you breeding them in SW or Fresh? Also which species did you go with? The regulars or Sailfins? I think I like the idea of the sailfins which can get massive and just leaving it in the tank with Hellboy to catch babies when hes older. 

In my head, I've got this churning. When B.Hellboy gets bigger say 2" and I've upgraded with a sump, to leave him in a display refugium with a small colony of breeding Sailfins, the macros should keep them fed and the babies will dive for cover in the macro, which is exactly where not-so-baby Hellboy will be 😏. Not sure if this is realistic or not, but aiming for this.

OldManSea

I am doing salt water.  I have have the hybrid “black mollies.”  I have had the sail fins before but they get huge, more than 6 inches so I don’t want to invest the tank space.

ihglifelol

at first i though it said frogspawn. 

little guys so cute.

i made a hybrid from freshwater amphipods by slowly pourig salt water each day. now the thrive is salt water.

those are for my baby scorpion fish as he is tiny

download.jpeg

• Like 1
RustyRocket
4 hours ago, OldManSea said:

I am doing salt water.  I have have the hybrid “black mollies.”  I have had the sail fins before but they get huge, more than 6 inches so I don’t want to invest the tank space.

Do let me know how that plays out, as in how many babies are you able to get per month (if I remember correctly the gestation period is about 28-35days) And also if they're able to keep Rocky fed through and through?

3 hours ago, ihglifelol said:

little guys so cute.

i made a hybrid from freshwater amphipods by slowly pourig salt water each day. now the thrive is salt water.

Awesome! I didnt think about using skuds or amphipods...are they easy to keep in a colony? and does your scorpion go hunting for them? I have a feeling they only come out at night, which makes it near impossible for frogfishes to get since they hunt by sight. 

OldManSea
7 hours ago, ihglifelol said:

little guys so cute.

download.jpeg

Wow, how tiny is he?  Looks VERY tiny.  Very cool.

4 hours ago, RustyRocket said:

Do let me know how that plays out, as in how many babies are you able to get per month (if I remember correctly the gestation period is about 28-35days) And also if they're able to keep Rocky fed through and through?

Will do.

• 3 weeks later...
RustyRocket
13 hours ago, 12scanlon said:

Got any updates? How’s rocky doing? Post some pictures too!

Hey man, I'm not sure about Rocky, he's over at Old Man Sea's thread. B-Hellboy is going wild tho. I probably need to feed him a little more, since he's not growing at the rate I remembered from my Warty. He gets 1 medium sized ghost shrimp every week, which keeps his belly stuffed for a solid 5 days or so. I cautious because at his size and metabolism, food rot is definitely an issue. 

31 minutes ago, RustyRocket said:

Hey man, I'm not sure about Rocky, he's over at Old Man Sea's thread. B-Hellboy is going wild tho. I probably need to feed him a little more, since he's not growing at the rate I remembered from my Warty. He gets 1 medium sized ghost shrimp every week, which keeps his belly stuffed for a solid 5 days or so. I cautious because at his size and metabolism, food rot is definitely an issue. 

Srry I meant baby hellboy. Good to see he’s doing good.