Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

I’ve finally got one...frogfish [pictures heavy]

RustyRocket

RustyRocket

It’s been a while since I’ve kept one. Use to have a warty which grew to about 3 inches then died randomly. This time, my lfs got a super adorable one in, it was eating well and active. So I just pulled the trigger and picked up a painted. Its got white toes!!

On a side note, some of my leather is still not opening up fully, and one of them is receding again and dropping sclerites. Nothing new was added, steady water and carbon changes

Test Result:

Calcium - 370ppm

Alkalinity - 8dkh 

Phosphate - 0ppm

Nitrate - 10ppm

I’m out of ideas...leathers should not be this difficult ?!

Check out the top right of the tank...whats in the breeder box. 
D22EE1FF-C293-46B2-895E-1F4DAE4E391D.jpeg

Home sweet home...

20E901F8-BB0D-4A0F-9638-5016164D97A6.jpeg

64F24172-1B7D-447B-8237-2B48884881DD.jpeg

Luring already!!

A7F80C2E-1255-42FD-B891-3BBF07EF5271.jpeg

He's only about an inch long

C6A181F2-C14B-4B0D-9205-157371A5EB57.jpeg

He makes the leathers look giant!!

3881461A-BB7D-49A7-A58C-44E4CE71CAB6.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Wow 4
  • Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, RustyRocket said:

It’s been a while since I’ve kept one. Use to have a warty which grew to about 3 inches then died randomly. This time, my lfs got a super adorable one in, it was eating well and active. So I just pulled the trigger and picked up a painted. Its got white toes!!

On a side note, some of my leather is still not opening up fully, and one of them is receding again and dropping sclerites. Nothing new was added, steady water and carbon changes

Test Result:

Calcium - 370ppm

Alkalinity - 8dkh 

Phosphate - 0ppm

Nitrate - 10ppm

I’m out of ideas...leathers should not be this difficult ?!

Check out the top right of the tank...whats in the breeder box. 
D22EE1FF-C293-46B2-895E-1F4DAE4E391D.jpeg

Home sweet home...

20E901F8-BB0D-4A0F-9638-5016164D97A6.jpeg

64F24172-1B7D-447B-8237-2B48884881DD.jpeg

Luring already!!

A7F80C2E-1255-42FD-B891-3BBF07EF5271.jpeg

He's only about an inch long

C6A181F2-C14B-4B0D-9205-157371A5EB57.jpeg

He makes the leathers look giant!!

3881461A-BB7D-49A7-A58C-44E4CE71CAB6.jpeg

He’s soooo cute and teeny tiny! :D  

A Little Blue

Great fish. Unfortunately, average lifespan in captivity (home aquariums) is about a year. IDK why that is tho. 

Hope you can break records with yours. 

RustyRocket
7 minutes ago, MSunkin23 said:

That thing looks like Hellboy when it was a baby

Looks like we have a name candidate. Baby hellboy. Nice ring to it. 

• Like 2

So dang cute!  I got a picture of one while snorkeling in Kauai last year and have been infatuated since.  They just recently had 2 beautiful ones (wartskin and painted) on LA in the Diver's Den.  I was very tempted!  A bit pricey though if it really will only live a year or so. 

• Like 1
RustyRocket
On 21/04/2018 at 6:38 PM, WV Reefer said:

He’s soooo cute and teeny tiny! :D  

On 21/04/2018 at 6:50 PM, Weikel said:

Awesome

On 21/04/2018 at 7:02 PM, kismetsh said:

Soooooo cute!

On 21/04/2018 at 7:37 PM, OldManSea said:

Great fish!  Love the frogs!

22 hours ago, Jono said:

I love how grumpy he looks :lol:

On 22/04/2018 at 8:40 AM, Clown79 said:

It's so cute!

Thanks everyone ^^! He's very tiny, I hope he puts on size quick, because feeding is a bit of an issue. Even the smallest ghost shrimp I can source easily over stretches his stomach. I'll try live brine shrimp or something if things aren't going well. 

On 21/04/2018 at 7:28 PM, A Little Blue said:

Great fish. Unfortunately, average lifespan in captivity (home aquariums) is about a year. IDK why that is tho. 

Hope you can break records with yours. 

You know...that's quite true. I've had mine for maybe 11 months or so only and remembering back the fella at lionfish den was telling me about it, called sudden frogfish death syndrome or something. I wonder if it's a bio-accumilation of something from the foods we feed them instead of their natural diet. Or maybe its something like female chameleons where females must be fertilised or else they become over gravid and dies. Wonder if anyone's done some research on it since then. *jumps into google*

On 22/04/2018 at 10:16 AM, KNelson said:

So dang cute!  I got a picture of one while snorkeling in Kauai last year and have been infatuated since.  They just recently had 2 beautiful ones (wartskin and painted) on LA in the Diver's Den.  I was very tempted!  A bit pricey though if it really will only live a year or so. 

Live aquaria is top notch stuff, you pay for the quality. If anything were to pass the 1 year mark, it'll be them. My LFS was quite a bit cheaper than Diver's Den, so it was easier to pull the trigger.

On 22/04/2018 at 9:48 AM, Christopher Marks said:

Haha Baby Hellboy! What a neat addition! How long do you plan to quarantine?

So he's actually not in quarantine (my bad...I probably should have). But he's on his own in a tank that has been fallow for the past 2 months so hopefully no cross contamination.

He's in the breeder box is because 3 reasons:
1. At his size he will easily be lost within the system and I dont fancy looking around the tank for 10 mins everytime I want to find him, and as I have the flow on max on the jebao, he will be blown around if he ever decides to swim or if he looses his footing. In the box hes easily found and sheltered. Hopefully, there'll be a bit of the "Battery Chicken" effect, where limiting his energy consumption means faster growth, so my bigger food items wouldn't be too big of a deal. 

2. In the small box hes able to locate his food easier. Im feeding him gutt loaded ghost shrimps from a FW system. The salinity shock will kill the shrimp in a few hours. I want him to find his food and eat it fresh and not waste anything. It'll be easier to train him on frozen in his little box as compare to the main tank.

3. Clean up is easier too as I can just turkey baser out his poop. 

In short, once he gets to about an inch longer or so, able to hold his own against the current and is feeding off frozen. He will be out of his baby crib. 

• Like 2

When you feed him live brine shrimp, are you enriching it?  I know that live brine has little nutrition for seahorses unless they are enriched.

RustyRocket
1 minute ago, vlangel said:

When you feed him live brine shrimp, are you enriching it?  I know that live brine has little nutrition for seahorses unless they are enriched.

I haven't tried any brine shrimp yet. But for ghost shrimps, yes. I gut load them with Ocean Nutrition Formula 1 and 2 pellets. They're what I use for my other fish, so I presume it should add some value to the Frogfish. 

In the case where I'll have to use brine shrimps, how would I enrich them? Like algae powder etc? And say 20mins before? Whats you're recommendation? You're seahorses tank is legit. :bowdown:

• Like 1

I have always wanted a Frogfish.... from what ive heard u could feed him small ghost shrimp. Frogfish will go after almost anything their size or smaller. Watch in inappropriate reefer on YouTube he has a Tank dedicated to his Frogfish. Very cool. If you don’t mind me asking how much did you pay for the Frogfish? 

16 minutes ago, RustyRocket said:

I haven't tried any brine shrimp yet. But for ghost shrimps, yes. I gut load them with Ocean Nutrition Formula 1 and 2 pellets. They're what I use for my other fish, so I presume it should add some value to the Frogfish. 

In the case where I'll have to use brine shrimps, how would I enrich them? Like algae powder etc? And say 20mins before? Whats you're recommendation? You're seahorses tank is legit. :bowdown:

Yeah algae powder or spiralina powder is good.  It takes 12 hours to gut load but if you want it to be assimulated into the brine shrimp's tissues, then strain the brine shrimp and move into clean salt water with new enrichment.  Its more nutritious that way.

Thanks for the kind words regarding my seahorse tank. ?

A Little Blue
5 hours ago, RustyRocket said:

u know...that's quite true. I've had mine for maybe 11 months or so only and remembering back the fella at lionfish den was telling me about it, called sudden frogfish death syndrome or something. I wonder if it's a bio-accumilation of something from the foods we feed them instead of their natural diet. Or maybe its something like female chameleons where females must be fertilised or else they become over gravid and dies. Wonder if anyone's done some research on it since then. *jumps into google*

You asked some valid questions. I’m not going to pretend to know the answers. Had some experience with them years ago. It wasn’t a long experience tho. I would imagine that their diet is a lot more diverse with greater verity than what we can offer or simply, we don’t know enough. There are still a lot of questions that could help with keeping these amazing animals long term and happy. 

What temperature do you keep your tank? I keep reading wartskins like cooler water but they're tropical so idk on that. I have always wanted to try one but they seem so delicate. Hope yours does well for you!

A Little Blue
6 minutes ago, Squared said:

What temperature do you keep your tank? I keep reading wartskins like cooler water but they're tropical so idk on that. I have always wanted to try one but they seem so delicate. Hope yours does well for you!

Usually around 70F. 

RustyRocket
22 minutes ago, 12scanlon said:

I have always wanted a Frogfish.... from what ive heard u could feed him small ghost shrimp. Frogfish will go after almost anything their size or smaller. Watch in inappropriate reefer on YouTube he has a Tank dedicated to his Frogfish. Very cool. If you don’t mind me asking how much did you pay for the Frogfish? 

Thanks for the info, I believe I have the basics of Frogfishes down. Actual fact, my previous Warty did something similar to his, but mines lasted a little longer but didn't get as big. His videos got me hunting down another one, so this time trying a painted. They aren't as active but can get a little bigger and more varied in colour. I'll send you a PM :)

5 minutes ago, vlangel said:

Yeah algae powder or spiralina powder is good.  It takes 12 hours to gut load but if you want it to be assimulated into the brine shrimp's tissues, then strain the brine shrimp and move into clean salt water with new enrichment.  Its more nutritious that way.

Thanks for the kind words regarding my seahorse tank. ?

Now do you raise your brineshrimp form egg and have a colony going? Or do you just buy from the store and enrich and then feed straight away? I'm thinking about the longevity of the buy from store solution. From experience they don't last more than a week. Which means I'll have to visit the store continuously. Ain't no body got time for that. 

2 minutes ago, Squared said:

I aim for 77F but it varies around 74 to 79 depending on the time of year. They can be delicate in terms of making sure they dont gulp air, dont pester them too much or they die from stress, food portions and frequency will need to be managed, but this goes with most preds. I wouldn't say they are any more difficult to keep. Once settled they can be pretty tough going. 

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, RustyRocket said:

Now do you raise your brineshrimp form egg and have a colony going? Or do you just buy from the store and enrich and then feed straight away? I'm thinking about the longevity of the buy from store solution. From experience they don't last more than a week. Which means I'll have to visit the store continuously. Ain't no body got time for that. 

No, I do not raise my own.  I have had great luck hatching them but poor luck raising them to adulthood. ?

I bought them at the lfs.  They last the longest if you know the day they arrive and buy them then but I know what you mean.