SaltCritters.com

Coralline without LR

wsonner

So I'm setting up my Red Sea Max Nano and have decided not to use Live Rock.  Of course I still want a nice growth of coralline algae.  Has anyone had success with the coralline starters they sell?  Reviews on line are sort of mixed.

Wes

2 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

It’ll come in with time, whether from corals or other means. 

I like that answer best! Thanks.

Just now, wsonner said:

All over :).  Mostly on the rock though.

Oh I though you were going for a frag tank or something. :D Figured it was weird why would u want coralline without rocks, it'll only grow on the glass.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Sjadet said:

Oh I though you were going for a frag tank or something. :D Figured it was weird why would u want coralline without rocks, it'll only grow on the glass.

Fair enough, ahahah. I did fail to mention my dry rock :-).  Yes, I have some rock from MarcoRocks on its way.  First time with dry rock.

1 hour ago, wsonner said:

So I'm setting up my Red Sea Max Nano and have decided not to use Live Rock.  Of course I still want a nice growth of coralline algae.  Has anyone had success with the coralline starters they sell?  Reviews on line are sort of mixed.

Wes

There is a product on amazon that has bacteria and coralline with really good reviews. 

I always go back and forth on coralline myself. I like having some, but when it grows on the glass I hate it. 

23 minutes ago, Nocturnal said:

There is a product on amazon that has bacteria and coralline with really good reviews. 

I always go back and forth on coralline myself. I like having some, but when it grows on the glass I hate it. 

Is it this product? https://arcreef.com/product/coralline-algae/

Coralline algae is a love/hate relationship. It tends to grow on places you don't want it but it's awesome to know that when you have an explosion of coralline algae, it means that you're on the right track for your tank.

Alternatively, you can get coralline algae from buying frags.

3 minutes ago, Red_Blenny said:

Is it this product? https://arcreef.com/product/coralline-algae/

Coralline algae is a love/hate relationship. It tends to grow on places you don't want it but it's awesome to know that when you have an explosion of coralline algae, it means that you're on the right track for your tank.

Alternatively, you can get coralline algae from buying frags.

Yup. That's the stuff. 

I actually have a bottle on order from last month because I had zero coralline in my tank after years of so many asternid stars. (and neglect) and wanted some of the new rock to color up a bit.  Of course it will finally get here in the next day or so am I'm seeing plenty of coralline growth from transplanted coral. 

2 minutes ago, Nocturnal said:

Yup. That's the stuff. 

I actually have a bottle on order from last month because I had zero coralline in my tank after years of so many asternid stars. (and neglect) and wanted some of the new rock to color up a bit.  Of course it will finally get here in the next day or so am I'm seeing plenty of coralline growth from transplanted coral. 

I thought about trying this in my future tank upgrade, since it has both coralline & nitrifying bacteria for tank cycling. Glad to see someone trying it out since it looks like the most promising 'coralline in a bottle' product.

3 minutes ago, Red_Blenny said:

I thought about trying this in my future tank upgrade, since it has both coralline & nitrifying bacteria for tank cycling. Glad to see someone trying it out since it looks like the most promising 'coralline in a bottle' product.

I don't need the bacteria at all but I'll probably go ahead and use it. I'm sure I will be annoyed and regret it in a few months but I'll post my results. 

• Thanks 1

You have to introduce it into the tank.

On a frag plug, on rocks, or getting shavings from someone and adding it into the tank.

I love it on rocks but it's a pain when the glass gets covered.

5 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

You have to introduce it into the tank.

On a frag plug, on rocks, or getting shavings from someone and adding it into the tank.

I love it on rocks but it's a pain when the glass gets covered.

I try to never let it get a foothold on the glass. Scrape scrape scrape :). 

HarryPotter
17 hours ago, wsonner said:

I like that answer best! Thanks.

If you want coralline, email PerfectCorals. I believe they will ship you some fresh coralline shavings from their glass for a few bucks. When I worked there, we would include it if asked with any order. 

• Like 1
On 22/04/2018 at 1:27 PM, wsonner said:

I try to never let it get a foothold on the glass. Scrape scrape scrape :). 

Neither do I besides the back wall but once it gets close to the seams, it's a real pain to remove.

It also uses up a lot of ca.

• Like 1