SaltCritters.com

Transitioning from tap to rodi water

anniebanana267

anniebanana267

hi, Im transitioning over from tap water to rodi water because I've heard that it's much better. but I need help because I've also read that I have to buy minerals to add to it. is that only in special occasions like for specific fish, or do I need to buy it ? let me know if I need to list my tank details or something. it's a fowlr soon to be reef.

additional although unimportant question: how do you guys say rodi? is it (r o d i) like letter per letter, or is it okay to say (rowdee) like row, row, row your boat.? 

I say R O D I or just RO.

As far as minerals you may or may not need anything depending on what kind of corals you plan to keep. Water changes replenish low levels of mineral demand. Even if you have LPS you may not need any additives if you do regular WCs.

• Like 1
anniebanana267
1 minute ago, Nocturnal said:

I say R O D I or just RO.

As far as minerals you may or may not need anything depending on what kind of corals you plan to keep. Water changes replenish low levels of mineral demand. Even if you have LPS you may not need any additives if you do regular WCs.

thank you so much! so since I only have fish and live rock right now (and inverts) they'll all be okay? 

1 minute ago, anniebanana267 said:

thank you so much! so since I only have fish and live rock right now (and inverts) they'll all be okay? 

Yes, they will be more than fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
MainelyReefer

A good Salt mix will contain all the minerals necessary initially, then as the reef grows supplemental additives will become necessary but nothing to worry about at this moment.  While RODI is pronounced by just saying the letters that compromise its name I like pronouncing it as Roadie.  Congrats on stepping up your game and getting RODI, I know some use tap and say its fine but I would do a 100% WC with new SW that was mixed from RODI to reset the tank before trying to convert to a reef.  And if it has been running years with tap maybe even a comprehensive test to see if any nasties built up in concentration over time.  Is your tap city water or well?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If people tell you to dose right away, beware their advice..  JMO.  If you stick to your water changes weekly or bi-weekly you will be fine.  It's much easier to perform a water change than dose, in regards to water quality management on a Nano tank.  That small water volume can throw you in a tailspin if you dose incorrectly.  Welcome and post some pics of your tank..

• Like 2
Toxic enigma

With saltwater the minerals will be in whatever salt mix you use. When you get into corals it will depend on what corals you have and how much they use, testing on monitoring levels will tell you that but for now just focus on getting your tank cycled and keeping stable water parameters

• Thanks 1