inTank Media Baskets

Waterbox Nano Owner's Thread

Raindog3030

Raindog3030

Howdy y'all!

I believe I may be one of the first to adopt one of these gorgeous little Starfire beauties and I figured it would be a good time to start a thread for anyone else who may/has purchase(d) one!

So far, Waterbox has been very responsive in dealing with the only issue I have run into so far [with the 7g model], the included return pump.

They did so by sending me a free Sicce Mi Mouse return pump to replace the ECO66 pump, this may or may not be the case with other tank sizes in the series.

I don't think any of us can argue that these AIO cubes are very attractive considering the quality of materials, construction, and included accessories!

So, without further ado, please join in on the conversation!  Is it just another AIO?  Do you have one?  What do you think?  Are you some weird-o lizard person impersonating a reefer?!?!?!

Here is the manufacturer page for reference: https://waterboxaquariums.com/cube/

• Like 2

I was looking at starting a reef with an AIO, just purchased a 7g after coming across this thread!  Also purchased an 18w NemoLight for it.  I'll start a thread once everything gets here. 

• Like 1

I bought the 4g Nano cube and also had an issue where the pump included was too large to fit in the rear chamber.  Waterbox also sent me a smaller replacement pump, but even that one is just too large for the rear chamber.  The rear chamber is too small/narrow.  I’m still trying to figure out what to do with their support team.  The pump could be arranged vertically but the outlet needs a tight 90 degree elbow to be usable.  Seems they built these tiny tanks without mocking up real world components.

Raindog3030
4 hours ago, jc2014 said:

I bought the 4g Nano cube and also had an issue where the pump included was too large to fit in the rear chamber.  Waterbox also sent me a smaller replacement pump, but even that one is just too large for the rear chamber.  The rear chamber is too small/narrow.  I’m still trying to figure out what to do with their support team.  The pump could be arranged vertically but the outlet needs a tight 90 degree elbow to be usable.  Seems they built these tiny tanks without mocking up real world components.

I too originally ordered a 4g, but was offered a 7g just before it shipped.  I suppose I have you to thank for finding the issue?  And I agree, I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case.  What are the interior dimensions of the pump compartment on the 4g?

The VicTsing 80GPH pump is what they sent me and it’s still too large. I estimate that a pump with a footprint of 42mm x 42mm could work (will try to get more exact measurements tomorrow).  Waterbox support has been great, but I fear that the designers miscalculated the necessary  dimensions of the third chamber in the back compartment. CE138808-8433-4521-90A3-DB9A230B44DC.thumb.jpeg.b11967360d5cfa1142e3bee1fdcdf8c1.jpeg

1EDFF0A8-DE67-4119-B134-03B95A4DF8A7.thumb.jpeg.ca3abbfe32ac206a783233034d8c733d.jpeg

9E005890-0831-4873-A247-02E1D82E84F3.thumb.jpeg.c12698ba883cca809019cbb40cea8487.jpeg

Raindog3030

Even though they sent me the MiMouse, I also have a Cobalt Mini-MJ 404 I'm going to try installing, I don't like having a piece of foam in between the pump and glass to reduce rattle.  Not sure if it would work for you, what drew me to the Cobalt pump is the power cord and return both are mounted top-side, so there is nothing pushing the pump/glass.  Seems like a good idea?  Dimensions are 2.25” x 1.5” x 2.25” or 57mm x 38mm x 57mm.

I am a fan of Cobalt Aquatics products. Putting the power cord and return on the top is definitely a smarter design. 

I measured the chamber widths again, and my original estimates look to be fairly valid.  It's just too tiny of a compartment.  If the middle compartment was 0.5-1 inch narrower, giving the third compartment more space, I think that would make it work.

• Like 1

Waterbox support has been spectacular.  They will be sending me a 7g for my troubles and once they figure out the pump issue for the 4g they will send me that replacement pump as well.  Wow. 

• Like 3
Raindog3030

So I finally had an opportunity to try the other return pump that I picked up, a Cobalt Mini-MJ 404.  This pump is awesome!  It blows the little Sicce MiMouse out of the water, and it doesn't push up against any of the walls in the return chamber.  So, no rattle at all!  There is even a little bit of space around the pump int he chamber, I highly suggest this and have communicated my findings to Waterbox support.

• Like 2
mpooyan83

Hey guys, 

I just ordered the 7g as well. What are the dimensions for the compartments in the back? any of you get a small skimmer? if so, what did you get that'll fit?

Thanks

Natermotor
4 hours ago, mpooyan83 said:

Hey guys, 

I just ordered the 7g as well. What are the dimensions for the compartments in the back? any of you get a small skimmer? if so, what did you get that'll fit?

Thanks

The whole back side, inner wall to inner wall is about 11.5 in x 2 in. There’s 3 compartments, divided into 2.5 x 2, 5.5 x 2 and 3.25 x 2, all inner measurements. No experience with the skimmer. 

• Like 1
Raindog3030
15 hours ago, mpooyan83 said:

Hey guys, 

Thanks

No skimmer here, I put a Neo-therm heater in the first compartment, marine pure spheres in second, and just the return pump in the third chamber.  Sweet avatar BTW!

On 4/26/2018 at 9:21 AM, jc2014 said:

Waterbox support has been spectacular.  They will be sending me a 7g for my troubles and once they figure out the pump issue for the 4g they will send me that replacement pump as well.  Wow. 

4g Nano update:  Last Friday, I received a properly sized pump for the 4g from Waterbox.  For reference it is a Jebao Pp300Lv Water Pump rated at 40 GPH. 

Woohoo!  The tank is now running with the pump for some quick leak testing.   

IMG_3612.thumb.jpg.e0398b91d139570d4e15972f29eed9a1.jpg 

• Like 3

I do have an unused Nanbox Mini Tide I could use. Great.

Is there a little InTank caddy (or competing product) made for these tanks yet? I checked InTank and they don't have WaterBox listed.

This is a great thread, thanks for starting!

These tanks are interesting. I've been contemplating an upgrade from my IM10 to a larger tank (15-20gal) size and have wanted to find a cube like these. It's unfortunate that the rear chamber is only 2 inches wide.

Looking forward to your thoughts on your tank and how it goes.

• Like 1
Raindog3030
17 hours ago, Tuffryu said:

This is a great thread, thanks for starting!

These tanks are interesting. I've been contemplating an upgrade from my IM10 to a larger tank (15-20gal) size and have wanted to find a cube like these. It's unfortunate that the rear chamber is only 2 inches wide.

Looking forward to your thoughts on your tank and how it goes.

My 7g is coming along nicely!  I probably need to update my build thread, but it is choochin' along nicely!

Im thinking about ordering the 10. Ill have to decide if i want to move my stuff over or start fresh and slowly move over corals and fish... im probably just gonna pull the trigger and order it :)

• Like 1
Raindog3030
51 minutes ago, Gradleg said:

Im thinking about ordering the 10. Ill have to decide if i want to move my stuff over or start fresh and slowly move over corals and fish... im probably just gonna pull the trigger and order it :)

Do it!  Let us know how it goes ;)

Brandon0921
1 minute ago, Brandon0921 said:

Awesome!  I have a Waterbox 10, few quirks, but I'm loving it so far.

Still trying to figure out the lighting (my rockscape is not the best for a nano I’m now realizing), but here’s where I’m at!

Equipment:

kessil a80

Smartato micro

top-lids fusion vent w/ feeder door

Brs reef safer dry rock

tropic eden dry sand mesoflakes 

Gfo/carbon/filter floss/ceramic rings

Livestock:

3x sexy shrimp

2x bonded pair gold coral banded shrimp

2x Bali x ORA clownfish

1x Pom Pom crab