Innovative Marine Aquariums

Thoughts on a gorgonian tank

AlmightyJoshaeus

AlmightyJoshaeus

Hello all! I am still working on my 3 gallon macroalgae tank, but after that I thinking of setting up a 5 gallon gorgonian tank. My thoughts for specs are as follows:

- A generic 50 watt heater

- This light, on 8 hrs a day: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aquarium-LED-Light-Bar-10-ReefBar-Pro-50-50-Blue-12k-10x-3W-Bridgelux-5-10-gal/271636336634?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=570472408907&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

- A 250 GPH internal filter from ebay (this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/250-350-450-650-GPH-3-in-1-Aquarium-Power-Internal-Filter-Submersible-Water-Pump/263409511420?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=562428506793&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

- Gorgonians (of course!), at least one of which would be purple

- Green Macroalgaes such as Ulva and Caulerpa to contrast my VERY red current tank

- Weekly 1 gallon WC's

- A fish? Perhaps even dwarf seahorses (in which case water changes would be bumped up to handle the increased load from all the BBS being fed)? Any way to kill hydroids without nuking the gorgonians?

Any thoughts on this proposed tank? Any improvements, things I should remove, etc? Thanks :)

SaltyBuddha

Sounds like it could be a pretty sweet tank plan! Might have to steal it....;) There are two types of gorgonians; photosynthetic and non-photosynthetic (NPS).

I think if you go with photosynthetic gorgonians and macro algaes, it would be easier. NPS gorgonians would be susceptible to algae growing on them but you could give it a shot. 

I am not familiar with seahorses, but live aquaria states you can keep one or two in a 5 gallon tank. That would be really cool. I always thought they needed larger tanks, but I might be thinking of non-dwarf species. The do like taller tanks (rather than shallower/wider) so keep that in mind. 

I would go with an HOB filter instead of that internal one. You could even skip the filter altogether and just put a powerhead in there for flow and export/replenish via water changes. The macros will make that possible for you. A HOB filter would allow some mechanical or chemical filtration as needed. 

I'm confused about the light though. I'm looking at your current macro tank and it looks like a very white light (6500K) but the light in the link is 12000K which should be a lot more blue. I would be suspect as to what you are actually getting unless you are using a gel filter to take a picture? Macros do best between 5000K and 6500K. The gorgonians would need 10000K or more to thrive. A fixture with both spectrums would be ideal. 

• Like 1

Hi

I have one purple gorgonian in my tank and have come to realise that without decent flow he becomes all skin and bone and doesn’t extend his polyps.I would recommend good direct flow .

Good luck

• Like 1
AlmightyJoshaeus
16 hours ago, SaltyBuddha said:

Sounds like it could be a pretty sweet tank plan! Might have to steal it....;) There are two types of gorgonians; photosynthetic and non-photosynthetic (NPS).

I think if you go with photosynthetic gorgonians and macro algaes, it would be easier. NPS gorgonians would be susceptible to algae growing on them but you could give it a shot. 

I am not familiar with seahorses, but live aquaria states you can keep one or two in a 5 gallon tank. That would be really cool. I always thought they needed larger tanks, but I might be thinking of non-dwarf species. The do like taller tanks (rather than shallower/wider) so keep that in mind. 

I would go with an HOB filter instead of that internal one. You could even skip the filter altogether and just put a powerhead in there for flow and export/replenish via water changes. The macros will make that possible for you. A HOB filter would allow some mechanical or chemical filtration as needed. 

I'm confused about the light though. I'm looking at your current macro tank and it looks like a very white light (6500K) but the light in the link is 12000K which should be a lot more blue. I would be suspect as to what you are actually getting unless you are using a gel filter to take a picture? Macros do best between 5000K and 6500K. The gorgonians would need 10000K or more to thrive. A fixture with both spectrums would be ideal. 

It is a different light than what I use over my 3 gallon (which is 50% 10000k, 35% 460nm). Thanks for your concern :) Photosynthetic gorgonians were planned...don't want to deal with corals that need food

• Like 1
RustyRocket
7 hours ago, AlmightyJoshaeus said:

Almost forgot...is it possible to have too much flow in a tank like this?

Unless water starts splashing out of your tank, it wont be too much of an issue. 
My gorgs absolutely loves the high flow...and even direct (4inch from a Jebao pump on max and pulse mode). I find that they do best when they are physically waving around. And I would probably go with a stronger light. Mine lost all the vibrant colors they once had. 

The gorgs also loves space...I find my ones that are touching glass/rock or other corals and is rubbing due to the back and forth, that particular section loses flesh relatively easily.