Innovative Marine Aquariums

Kdrof's Reef Garden (IM10 Nuvo) - New Surge Protector

Kdrof

Kellie in CA
1 minute ago, Kdrof said:

Ah. Random Flow generator. :)

I see them from Vivid. I will look into them. Thank you for the info. Do you use one?

I use 2!  Highly recommend.

• Like 1

I mentioned earlier that I was thinking of moving the tank from my office to our first floor. I ended up moving the tank and stand this evening. It was quite easy! I did not even have to move the aquascape and hardly disturbed the sand bed. I pumped out the water from the rear chambers and display down to the sand bed.. Carried it downstairs carefully...

I put the tank in our dining/morning room. Our first floor is open concept so I think we will get to spend a lot more time with the tank.

When the water was pumped back into the tank, some of the sand in the back was disturbed and the water has not returned to being crystal clear..

Disclaimer - My temporary light is ridiculous... LOL - Bendable LED light strips tied on top of the included IM10 top (screen). It was originally used to get the scape shots. 😂

Tanks new home:

Room.thumb.JPG.febbaf7d892e010803dfbeeff544fe5f.JPG

Front.thumb.JPG.c53eb1d9a3f7034d4f6879df1a7f112b.JPG

1516790281_FrontRIght.thumb.JPG.3dd1fccc2778b16df6ae10e3dccc5b57.JPG

• Like 3

While we wait for the next phase, I started to do some planning. We know what corals that we want to put in the tank, so I wanted to start nailing down rough coral placement... 

To give us a better idea, I put together a quick sketch of the aquascape and scanned it into the computer to tag some of the "guesstimated" coral locations. I may draw in the coral as well in the coming days..

CoralPlacementSketch.thumb.jpg.8a52b62594bdbf10123ae0b5ac54a4d7.jpg

Notes:

-Torch corals placed at the top to get more height while adding movement.

-The Gorgonians will be coming from behind the rock work off to the right so the Torch corals do not hit them with their sweeper tentacles. I may even put a small rock behind the main structure to isolate the Gorgs..

-I placed the Rock Flower Anemones against the left side of the main rock where there is some vertical space and a crevice in hopes that they will be secure while getting enough light and flow.

-The Green Star Polyps will be isolated so they do not take over.

-The Zoa gardens may or may not connect, depends on the Torch colony placement.

Thoughts or feedback on the coral location is much appreciated!

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Kdrof said:

While we wait for the next phase, I started to do some planning. We know what corals that we want to put in the tank, so I wanted to start nailing down rough coral placement... 

To give us a better idea, I put together a quick sketch of the aquascape and scanned it into the computer to tag some of the "guesstimated" coral locations. I may draw in the coral as well in the coming days..

Notes:

-The Gorgonians will be coming from behind the rock work off to the right so the Torch corals do not hit them with their sweeper tentacles. I may even put a small rock behind the main structure to isolate the Gorgs..

-I placed the Rock Flower Anemones against the left side of the main rock where there is some vertical space and a crevice in hopes that they will be secure while getting enough light and flow.

Thoughts or feedback on the coral locations is much appreciated!

Great planning. Can't wait until my cycle is done.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Awesome scape!  New location is nice too.  Looking forward to it!

Thanks for the kind words. I hope I can use the indirect daylight to my advantage.

• Like 1

I got some goodies in the mail this evening. 😀

Goodies.thumb.jpeg.6f64e346dd00b34b5586995560ae8609.jpeg

I am excited for the ATO. Manually topping off the system was not terrible, but as I get ready to start adding livestock, I think it will be better to have the improved stability.

I decided to go with the IM SpinStream to start since I have used it in the past. I will still look into the Random Flow Generator longterm. But, I may need more flow than just the return anyhow.. I'll know when there is livestock in the tank. 

I installed the Sicce, SpinStream and ATO this evening.

The second heater will be for heating water change water as well as a backup heater incase the display heater were to fail.

Lastly, I hope to do a water change with the RSCP salt in the next few days to take down some of the Nitrates from the cycle.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Quick update and a few thoughts...

Reef Chemistry Update - The Ammonia and Nitrite are at 0. I had some leftover Nitrates so I did a water change and cleaned the sump on Sunday to reduce them. There are still Nitrates leftover, so I am going to do another water change tonight to get them a little lower.

Red Sea Coral Pro Salt - I have started mixing the RSCP salt right before the water change. This stuff dissolves so fast it is amazing and I only mix until I match tank temp. I never payed much attention to the time required to dissolve the salt in the past and used to make big batches and would check it the next day... 5 Gallons worth (2.5 cups) is gone in 15 minutes and crystal clear.

ATO - This Smart ATO Micro is incredible. So small. So quiet. So simple. I have had Tunze's and they were reliable, but took up way more space. I really love this ATO thus far.

Fish - While i'm waiting on the light, I went up to the LFS and spoke with them regarding Fish. They are going to see if they can find a Red Spot Goby from their distributors. If they cannot, I was thinking about potentially getting a Neon Damselfish. I know they aren't normally recommended under 20 gallon tanks but I think there is decent swim space with the minimalist scape. I have always thought they looked cool. I hesitate to get a Clown or Helfrichi even though they are on my list... I love them but they didn't seem move around much in my previous tanks.. Anyone think the Damselfish would be okay in this tank?

• Like 1

Scape and layout plan look awesome! Can't wait to see how this progresses once you get some corals in there.

I'm curious how you're going to like the Sicce .5 & SpinStream combo. I have a Koralia Nano, along with the stock return pump and SpinStream. But would eventually like to upgrade the return pump and maybe even eliminate the powerhead altogether, but I was thinking I'd need a Sicce 1.0 to get enough flow without the powerhead.

34 minutes ago, falcooo said:

Scape and layout plan look awesome! Can't wait to see how this progresses once you get some corals in there.

I'm curious how you're going to like the Sicce .5 & SpinStream combo. I have a Koralia Nano, along with the stock return pump and SpinStream. But would eventually like to upgrade the return pump and maybe even eliminate the powerhead altogether, but I was thinking I'd need a Sicce 1.0 to get enough flow without the powerhead.

Thanks! Appreciate it.

I had hoped I could get away from needing a powerhead myself. I read a few times that the 1.0 in the IM10 was too much flow and would cause sand storms even on lowest setting. So I went with the .5... let me know if you get the 1.0/SpinStream combo and if it works. Sicce upgrade is much cheaper than many powerheads 🙂 

The Sicce is silent and I only hardly head the Spinstream but that seams to be breaking in and quieting down more and more.  

Just now, Kdrof said:

Thanks! Appreciate it.

I had hoped I could get away from needing a powerhead myself. I read a few times that the 1.0 in the IM10 was too much flow and would cause sand storms even on lowest setting. So I went with the .5... let me know if you get the 1.0/SpinStream combo and if it works. Sicce upgrade is much cheaper than many powerheads 🙂 

The Sicce is silent and I only hardly head the Spinstream but that seams to be breaking in and quieting down more and more.  

Once I noticed how much the SpinStream reduces the pump, by about half from what I've gathered, I got to thinking the 1.0 might not actually be overkill. And yea the powerhead definitely takes up a lot of space in such a small tank.

On 5/16/2018 at 8:47 AM, ReefGoat said:

Sweet! I keep having urges to get one. But I love the Kessil shimmer. Decisions......Plus I've just bought the kessil not long ago. 

I really like the Kessil shimmer too, but lately, at times, I feel like it's a little bit too much of a good thing that constant motion, if you know what I mean. 

On 5/18/2018 at 9:59 PM, Kdrof said:

Notes:

Thoughts or feedback on the coral location is much appreciated!

Nice well thought out tank.  I like you plan and your rock work.  How are you liking that IM stand (its about time they came out with one for the 10)?

Christopher Marks

I've seen quite a few people keep a single damselfish in a 10 gallon nano reef, they seem to handle it well without any other fish to compete with.

Admirable system planning @Kdrof, it's great to see the cycle went smoothly. You'll be happy having your nano reef out in the open space of your home where everyone can enjoy it! 

1 hour ago, falcooo said:

Once I noticed how much the SpinStream reduces the pump, by about half from what I've gathered, I got to thinking the 1.0 might not actually be overkill. And yea the powerhead definitely takes up a lot of space in such a small tank.

Keep me posted if you try it 🙂 I would gladly upgrade to it just didn’t want to risk it.

1 hour ago, Type-H20 said:

Nice well thought out tank.  I like you plan and your rock work.  How are you liking that IM stand (its about time they came out with one for the 10)?

Thanks! 🙂

I have mixed thoughts on the stand. It looks decent with the metal and glass. It is quite sturdy, but there are not any shelves inside. I am working with my dad to build some shelves inside to house an ATO reservoir, food, etc., and lastly to get the Surge protector off the ground to not chance and water getting into it. 

It also had tons of metal shavings in the different pieces when unpacking it and it should of have been blown off - don’t need those in your eyes, hands or feet...i wish I would have taken a picture of it. It was crazy.

Overall, the stand is not bad. I originally purchased it to fit in a corner in my office because I was having trouble finding something sturdy enough.

59 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

I've seen quite a few people keep a single damselfish in a 10 gallon nano reef, they seem to handle it well without any other fish to compete with.

Admirable system planning @Kdrof, it's great to see the cycle went smoothly. You'll be happy having your nano reef out in the open space of your home where everyone can enjoy it! 

Chris, thanks for the comments as always. Also thanks for the reassurance regarding the Damsel. I know the second I get the Damsel, I will find the Goby... 😂 

• Like 1

Alright! We got a fish!

As most of you know, I have been on the lookout for a Red Spot Goby. My LFS checked with their distributors and they did not have them. They are going to stay on the lookout for me. With that said, I would bet it will be a bit. No luck on LiveAquaria, Divers Den, etc.. So... We decided to go with the Neon Damselfish (Pomacentrus alleni). I have always loved their activity and really wanted a fish that would motor around and be active in the whole tank. They are a simple, yet beautiful fish. As much as I loved my previous Clowns and Helfrichi Firefish, they barely moved around the tank (Unless I was feeding). My LFS display tank had 3-4 of them and I had never seen them before have wanted one ever since.

The LFS had ordered 6 Neon/Alleni Damsels and only one arrived alive (individually bagged).. So I went to take a look thinking I may hold off on that shipment. He was active and had healthy color, etc. They fed him some Mysis/Brine shrimp and he slammed 8-10 pieces like a mad man - that was a good sign after being shipped. We decided to get him! I acclimated and left the lights off last night but he was motoring around and looked to be picking at the rocks and substrate like he was still hungry. I fed 6 more pieces of Brine shrimp, one piece at a time, and he immediately ate them. I woke up this morning and he seems to be very healthy. I was hoping he wouldn't be overly shy and he is not! He has been swimming around all day even while I was taking some pictures. 

Please excuse these pictures with my temporary lights 🤣 - still in progress of getting the Nanobox (be here soon). Its tough with these lights to capture the bright neon blue color that his scales are. Also, I left the lighting decently dim as hes still new.. Enjoy!

Alpha1.thumb.jpg.fbf2aff317eea6532a327b458ec17d18.jpg

Alpha2.thumb.jpg.e5c98b40e8b5c40ce406dd5003943587.jpg

Alpha3.thumb.jpg.759292da32fd806087d29fa06d7f45fb.jpg

Alpha4.thumb.jpg.51c371fe07d78243dff2be080095fa5f.jpg

Alpha5.thumb.jpg.8f359784e420eabaf73d6ca913a98d11.jpg

Alpha6.thumb.jpg.bb6fcb9d77f0ba967e900d742d5d6705.jpg

We have not came up with a name for him yet. I was trying to think of something neat as he was the only survivor (of Neon Damsels) in the shipment. Was thinking something like "Alpha" 😄

Please help me think of some names!! 😀

• Like 3
On 6/5/2018 at 5:27 PM, Type-H20 said:

I really like the Kessil shimmer too, but lately, at times, I feel like it's a little bit too much of a good thing that constant motion, if you know what I mean. 

The “shimmer” is the same as you’ll get from other leds or any other light source honestly. The thing is many other led fixtures don’t blend the colors as well, if at all. You get the same light refraction water ripple “shimmer” with MH too. It looks better all as one color as opposed to being able to see individual colors dancing around on the sandbed aka disco ball, my opinion. What I’m getting at is that you’ll have that motion no matter what unless you can provide enough water movement without disturbing the surface at all. 

Not as much so with just T5s because the light source is very spread out rather than single point. 

Edit, I’ve never seen a nanobox lit tank in person so I don’t have a clue how it looks as far as the colors blending into one as opposed to “disco balling”. Hey @DaveFason let me beta one of those on/off minis for ya!

14 hours ago, TatorTaco said:

Just spit-balling here, but what about "Wilson" from the movie Castaway (Tom Hanks)? 

Ah. Hmmm. Not a bad thought 🙂

12 hours ago, 1891Bro said:

The “shimmer” is the same as you’ll get from other leds or any other light source honestly. The thing is many other led fixtures don’t blend the colors as well, if at all. You get the same light refraction water ripple “shimmer” with MH too. It looks better all as one color as opposed to being able to see individual colors dancing around on the sandbed aka disco ball, my opinion. What I’m getting at is that you’ll have that motion no matter what unless you can provide enough water movement without disturbing the surface at all. 

Not as much so with just T5s because the light source is very spread out rather than single point. 

Edit, I’ve never seen a nanobox lit tank in person so I don’t have a clue how it looks as far as the colors blending into one as opposed to “disco balling”. Hey @DaveFason let me beta one of those on/off minis for ya!

Ah good point. I never thought of it being related to different colors. Thanks for the reply. 

12 hours ago, Indiana Reefin said:

Nice little setup 👍 

Thanks!

Fish update:

This. Dude. Eats. This guy eats pellets or brine or whatever you throw In the tank. Super friendly and always cruising around the tank. If I am sitting and watching he’s out and not hiding. 

He had originally setup shop in the cave in the main rock structure.  Recently, he has dug out the sand near the front left of the main rock and hangs there during the night or if he is not out and about. I will post a picture of it. It’s quite funny. Everyday I would see more and more sand and a deeper hole. 

• Haha 1

Here is a picture from Monday night of the cave the Damsel is creating. Over the past two nights, he has dug it out even deeper... 🤨

DamselDigging.thumb.jpeg.1c803ca8b3d91d6b7a5b2c8b24316334.jpeg

I read that a male Damselfish does this when trying to take on family duties and is preparing a nest for spawning and guarding it against predators.. Interesting.

• Like 1

Quick update - I was performing my weekly maintenance and noticed a dead spot behind the main rock structure where some detritus had built up. With that said, I have been wanting to get some hermits and a snail. The tank has been doing well and everything was testing out nicely. I could have most likely added a few more hermits or snails, but figured I would take it slow and I can always get more down the road if needed. 🙂

Incoming order from LiveAquaria (Tuesday):

1x Halloween Hermit Crab (Hawaii)

1x Electric Blue Hermit Crab (Marshall Islands, Indonesia)

1x Scarlet Reef Hermit Crab (Caribbean)

1x Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit Crab (Caribbean)

1x Bumble Bee Snail (Marshall Islands)

I almost added a Sexy or Blood Red Shrimp but want to take it slow so I held off. 

Since I do not have much (if any) algae, I will supplement their diets with dried seaweed, fish food and brine/mysis as needed.

I am super excited for the Halloween and Electric Blue Hermits. I have never had them before. I remember when I first had seen them around 2007 on LiveAquaria when I was first getting into the hobby. They are beautiful and I have always wanted them.

I will snag some pictures of them when they come in!