Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Reef safe spray paint

Toxic enigma

Toxic enigma

I'm in the process of setting up a 29 gallon tank and was thinking about using egg crate for the lid. I've used it in the past on fresh water tanks and it works, but the white color tends to be a bit of an eye sore on a black trimed tank. So I was wondering if there is a spray paint I can use to paint it black to match that would be safe? Or if anyone knows of a place I could get black egg crate bigger than two foot squares? 

Krylon Fusion.

Someone might suggest marine paint, but if you use marine paint make sure it's topside paint and not bottom side paint. The difference is the bottom side paints (below water level paint) often contain copper that leaches out over time killing barnacles and other invertebrates that like to grow on boats.

I've seen black eggcrate in Lowe's. I've also read that Krylon for plastic spray paint works and I've used it on my diy light support, although it doesn't come in direct contact with sw.

Toxic enigma
16 hours ago, Oldsalt01 said:

I've seen black eggcrate in Lowe's. I've also read that Krylon for plastic spray paint works and I've used it on my diy light support, although it doesn't come in direct contact with sw.

I'll have to see if I can find a Lowe's around me then. If I can get something big enough to cover the 30 x 12 tank with one piece molded black it's definitely the preferable way to go. 

19 hours ago, Toxic enigma said:

I'll have to see if I can find a Lowe's around me then. If I can get something big enough to cover the 30 x 12 tank with one piece molded black it's definitely the preferable way to go. 

Should be easy, peasy. You can order it on-line too. Cut it with small wire cutters, but be careful. Cut eggcrate can tear you up on the sharp edges (wanna sees the scar?).

Toxic enigma
5 hours ago, Oldsalt01 said:

Should be easy, peasy. You can order it on-line too. Cut it with small wire cutters, but be careful. Cut eggcrate can tear you up on the sharp edges (wanna sees the scar?).

Lol, I know. In the past I just used a hacksaw to cut it then sand the edges down so there are no sharp spots