Innovative Marine Aquariums

Ai prime hd- why so blue

burrito

So I know I can change the settings to my liking and am using the saxby preset since it’s one of the most popular but why are all the “good” presets so blue heavy. Throughout the whole cycle it’s pretty blue. Is this “ normal” underwater color or done to highlight and grow corals? What’s a natural setting and should I just stick to blues and be happy. FYI, no coral in tank yet. Just about done cycling. 

• 3 weeks later...
leonel619

i just started using this same light and feel the same way. im coming from a 14k mh and feel its way too blue. but the few zoas i have in there look great so i guess ill stick with it and see how the corals grow.  

mndfreeze

I use the Saxby setting on mine and it doesn't seem too blue at all during its peak times?  Only during the ramp up and ramp down at each end does it go super blue heavy.  That my opinion though, and most of my reefer friends keep their tanks waaaay more blue then I do.  

In general corals do tend to like blue heavy spectrums.  Blue is one of the colors filtered out last by water as you go deeper, which is why when you watch video of divers or go diving yourself the water gets more blue as you go deeper.  

From an article about light and the ocean:

Light Spectrum.

Water selectively scatters and absorbs certain wavelengths of visible light. The long wavelengths of the light spectrum—red, yellow, and orange—can penetrate to approximately 15, 30, and 50 meters(49, 98, and 164 feet), respectively, while the short wavelengths of the light spectrum—violet, blue and green—can penetrate further, to the lower limits of the euphotic zone. Blue penetrates the deepest, which is why deep, clear ocean water and some tropical water appear to be blue most of the time. Moreover, clearer waters have fewer particles to affect the transmission of light, and scattering by the water itself controls color. Water in shallow coastal areas tends to contain a greater amount of particles that scatter or absorb light wavelengths differently, which is why sea water close to shore may appear more green or brown in color.

Read more: http://www.waterencyclopedia.com/La-Mi/Light-Transmission-in-the-Ocean.html#ixzz5EimHnhc1