Pod Your Reef

24 hour notice

FollyFish

Last week on Monday I got a call from my boss saying that he wanted me to go to another city that way a 4 hour drive way for work, I would be there for 4 days maybe 5 days. I would have to leave on the Wed morning. This was very short notice but I was able to find someone I trust to come and feed my tank. 

I have 3 shirmps, 3 fish, and a NPS colony of 10 heads that I feed frozen to every day. The rest of my mixed reef corals I feed every few days.

To prepare I had the person come on tuesday to feed while I watch, I wrote detailed instructions and taped them to the wall. I did a 20% water change and did a full clean on the filter system changing the media. I left the number of an LFS that I trust and they had my numbers. I also moved my motion camera from my front door to a view of the tank, so I could check up and watch for any problems when no one was there. 

Everything went well for the 4 fays that I was gone but I want to be better prepared for the next time I get 24 hour notice. Does anyone have suggestions? Things I should do or shouldnt have done?

The one thing I though of was have some premixed salt water done. I had used the last of my RODI water for the water change and I didnt have time to make more, so no saltwater. 

Thanks. 

HarryPotter

I’ve skipped feeding for a week with no issues during times of problematic algae. If the tank has an ATO and you have someone to feed the tank every other day, I don’t see any reason to worry. You could also get an autofeeder to do pellets while you are away. 

I personally have a friend who has their own reef tank on the side, and provide them a key before I leave.

Having someone who knows what they are doing is the best prevention to disaster, they can easily follow instructions, will notice if things are off, know how to mix salt and perform water changes and what equipment is which, they know how to troubleshoot problems that may arise. While this may not be the same for everyone, If you have a local reef club that would be a great place to start meeting people, and building relationships.

I always leave the RODI hose connected to my reservoir before I leave so they can visually inspect its level, if low they simply flip the switch at the faucet and let it fill itself. I also leave 1 bucket of RODI water in the instance they need to do a water change they can simply add salt. I put the cubes of food I want fed into an Ice tray and put it at the edge of freezer for easy access, and no guessing what needs to be fed daily. I also setup an old cell phone as an IP Cam and link it to my Apex where I can view everything while away. Aside from that I personally don't think there is much else you could do other than have the salt already mixed, but I leave it without to be prepared for any situation, and with red sea it doesn't take long for Salt to mix and clear.