Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Digital Aquatics and Marine Depot tag team of slow/no service.

Nocturnal

I received my RK lite system on 4/8 and overall it's a nice little system. I haven't been able to get the PH to calibrate properly though so I suspect either a bad PH probe or something else is defective (I have read that they don't shield their systems properly so stray voltage can ruin readings).  The lack of customer service from Digital Aquatics (no response to emails and I've been unable to register on the forum) makes me want to return the whole thing and get an Apex.

I've also been trying to contact Marine Depot and haven't had any luck. Several web forms and emails asking to return the item. The fine print I didn't notice before buying is that for some reason DA items are non-returnable with Marine Depot. I really expect basic customer service responses like "can I return this item because it isn't working" to not take more than a couple days. I'll keep trying and I guess I may need to dispute the whole order. Future dollars will go to BRS or Amazon I suppose.

Still no luck with DA via email. I called Marine Depot since they haven't responded to my emails. I'm extremely irritated that they have this return exclusion for DA items buried in their return policy. If something like this can't be returned it should be noted in the product page. The fact that this policy is a thing really suggests that Digital Aquatics had way too many returns in the first place. Supposedly Marine Depot is contacting DA to ask them to contact me but I have a feeling I'll have to fight this with my credit card company. This isn't a consumable item and there is no reason returns aren't allowed and it's very sketchy that this exclusion is hidden. Don't tell me that most customers read the full return policy of a known vendor that they (formerly) trusted every time they purchase a new item.

It is so sketchy that returns aren't allowed on DA products. That tells me that there are many unhappy customers. 

I honestly feel tricked by Marine Depot. There is nothing on the product page that states these items are exempt from their normal return policy. Apparently anything you buy from them requires an extra level of research. I'm going to be disputing this purchase. I won't be spending a dime with Marine Depot in the future and will take the chance to discourage others as well. 

HarryPotter

I don’t know what to tell you; I messaged Marine Depot this afternoon asking about an expiration date of reagent that came with my Hanna checker- it would expire in two months from when I received it. Within hours they both contacted Hanna to ask whether it would still be good past expiration if it was sealed until now (“Probably fine”) and offered credit for another reagent. I was content with the reassurance that it would still be good, but they insisted. This took place in a matter of hours.... they’re my go to place for reefing goodies. I’m planning on ordering all the supplies for an upcoming 300g build from them! 

Their free shipping is pretty quick too.

jamescstein
23 minutes ago, Nocturnal said:

It is so sketchy that returns aren't allowed on DA products. That tells me that there are many unhappy customers. 

I honestly feel tricked by Marine Depot. There is nothing on the product page that states these items are exempt from their normal return policy. Apparently anything you buy from them requires an extra level of research. I'm going to be disputing this purchase. I won't be spending a dime with Marine Depot in the future and will take the chance to discourage others as well. 

You may find this is a DA policy and not the choice of Marine Depot. 

• Like 1
RayWhisperer
49 minutes ago, jamescstein said:

You may find this is a DA policy and not the choice of Marine Depot. 

This is most likely the case. Still crap, though. No reason for such a company to not accept returns. I’m unsure why MD would ignore, or avoid your emails, though. 

8 hours ago, RayWhisperer said:

This is most likely the case. Still crap, though. No reason for such a company to not accept returns. I’m unsure why MD would ignore, or avoid your emails, though. 

Return policies for products like Apex, DA, Ecotech are set by the manufacturers, not the retailers. Once the box is opened they have to abide by the policy.

RayWhisperer

I understand, and I figured that was the case. It's pretty crappy, though. Each one of them has a serial number, and they can easily tell if it's been taken apart and tampered with. 

All that still doesn't explain MD's ignoring a customers emails.

BTW. Welcome back. Long time no see. Was going to text you over the weekend, see how life is treating you. Didn't wanna be a creeper, though.

2 hours ago, metrokat said:

Return policies for products like Apex, DA, Ecotech are set by the manufacturers, not the retailers. Once the box is opened they have to abide by the policy.

Yes and no. The vendor could definitely accept the return and resale as open box. (especially for a defective item)  MD themselves would have been net positive on profit as I actually asked if I could return and purchase the $700 apex instead. I also think it's really suspicious on the DA side. This isn't a consumable product and can easily be checked or refurbished as necessary. It's clearly a "we get too many returns" kind of situation.

I think it's pretty stupid that the product page doesn't mention this. When you click on the shipping and returns tab for that product this is what you see.  MD1.thumb.JPG.306babaac718bf3c5d07874de2d2d0e0.JPG

A small blurb on the main product page could have resolved this. The customer service agent wasn't particularly friendly when I called in either. Fairly snippy when I complained about the semi hidden return exclusion. Oh well, it is what it is. I'm attempting to dispute and just won't shop there anymore.  (I've spent about $800 between Amazon and BRS in the past few days) If the replacement probe from DA resolves the issue I will be somewhat mollified, but I still have a bad taste in my mouth.

HarryPotter
4 minutes ago, Nocturnal said:

Yes and no. The vendor could definitely accept the return and resale as open box. (especially for a defective item)  MD themselves would have been net positive on profit as I actually asked if I could return and purchase the $700 apex instead. I also think it's really suspicious on the DA side. This isn't a consumable product and can easily be checked or refurbished as necessary. It's clearly a "we get too many returns" kind of situation.

I think it's pretty stupid that the product page doesn't mention this. When you click on the shipping and returns tab for that product this is what you see.  MD1.thumb.JPG.306babaac718bf3c5d07874de2d2d0e0.JPG

A small blurb on the main product page could have resolved this. The customer service agent wasn't particularly friendly when I called in either. Fairly snippy when I complained about the semi hidden return exclusion. Oh well, it is what it is. I'm attempting to dispute and just won't shop there anymore.  (I've spent about $800 between Amazon and BRS in the past few days) If the replacement probe from DA resolves the issue I will be somewhat mollified, but I still have a bad taste in my mouth.

So you want marine depot to resell a defective item as open box? 

You leave me with a worse “taste in my mouth” than them ?

30 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

So you want marine depot to resell a defective item as open box? 

You leave me with a worse “taste in my mouth” than them ?

I would expect them to return it to the manufacturer, or deal with getting the replacement and then selling it. Or maybe, I don't know, standing behind the products they sell.

And again, a blurb on the product page would have solved this before it started. It's not reasonable to expect somebody to review a detailed return policy for every single purchase. This is customer service 101.

Edit. Once I started getting emails from DA they were very quick to ship me out a new PH probe. I'll give them that. If I wind up keeping this unit I'll post a full review. It doesn't seem like a bad product, but we will see if I can get the PH working.

43 minutes ago, Nocturnal said:

I think it's pretty stupid that the product page doesn't mention this. When you click on the shipping and returns tab for that product this is what you see.  

Did you ask Digital Aquatics if the replacement probe does not work, will they replace the whole unit? It's a recent purchase I am assuming, there isn't any reason they would not.

It seems like you will file a dispute against Marine Depot regardless of the fact that a replacement probe can fix your issue or that DA can replace your entire unit. I get that you are upset for not reading the fine print as you stated above. :(

I just checked BRS's policy and this would apply to your situation:

3 Items that show any sign of exposure to water or use, returned with damaged or altered packaging or missing packing material including warranty cards, manuals and accessories are not eligible for return and will be returned to you free of charge. 

I'm afraid the probe you used got wet - you would be ineligible for a claim with BRS. This wasn't stated on the product page on their site either. 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, metrokat said:

Did you ask Digital Aquatics if the replacement probe does not work, will they replace the whole unit? It's a recent purchase I am assuming, there isn't any reason they would not.

It seems like you will file a dispute against Marine Depot regardless of the fact that a replacement probe can fix your issue or that DA can replace your entire unit. I get that you are upset for not reading the fine print as you stated above. :(

I just checked BRS's policy and this would apply to your situation:

3 Items that show any sign of exposure to water or use, returned with damaged or altered packaging or missing packing material including warranty cards, manuals and accessories are not eligible for return and will be returned to you free of charge. 

I'm afraid the probe you used got wet - you would be ineligible for a claim with BRS. This wasn't stated on the product page on their site either. 

That's fine. I'd be happy to buy a new probe for MD. ;)   I think I'm a pretty reasonable customer but once you get irritated it's hard not to say screw it and want to walk away.

Not yet. If the probe doesn't work I will ask DA to replace the whole system, depending on my whole return issue.  It's semi related but I'm not sure if I have an issue with the PBX either because one of the outlets was cycling oddly. With the outlet set to off it was getting enough juice to my fuge LED to make it flicker. I have a powerhead on that outlet now so I'm not seeing it there but I need more testing.

RayWhisperer

Low voltage products like small LEDs usually cause this problem. Check the manual to see if there is a special outlet for low voltage products.

gonna be creepin on Kat tonight.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, RayWhisperer said:

Low voltage products like small LEDs usually cause this problem. Check the manual to see if there is a special outlet for low voltage products.

gonna be creepin on Kat tonight.

I'll take a look thanks. I wish I had a multi meter handy. It's not a big problem if a cheapo powerhead is getting that but I want to make sure it's just not a defective unit.

RayWhisperer

It's usually not a faulty product. USUALLY. I remember when all the really low voltage stuff started hitting the market, that was a common problem. I'm no electrician, and this was some time ago, so I'm working on old man memory. I think it had something to do with not enough current, or resistance, or something like that. Anyway, switched outlets wouldn't function properly because of it. I would think anything new, like the rk, or apex would have a few outlets specifically for that, though. Kinda like the old ones had a special outlet for halide lights because the big ones would overload the normal outlets.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, RayWhisperer said:

It's usually not a faulty product. USUALLY. I remember when all the really low voltage stuff started hitting the market, that was a common problem. I'm no electrician, and this was some time ago, so I'm working on old man memory. I think it had something to do with not enough current, or resistance, or something like that. Anyway, switched outlets wouldn't function properly because of it. I would think anything new, like the rk, or apex would have a few outlets specifically for that, though. Kinda like the old ones had a special outlet for halide lights because the big ones would overload the normal outlets.

IIRC two of the outlets have a different type of relay. That might be the reason.