Cultivated Reef

Live Rock Online

Stevejvan2138

Stevejvan2138

Has anyone had a really good experience ordering live rock from an online vendor?

I found a few in Florida that ship Gulf rock, but I’m nervous ordering sight unseen.  I’ve been very unimpressed with the selection in the few fish shops local to me.

Never purchased live rock any other way. Florida rock is not as nice as Fiji rock . Fiji rock usually has more coral line growth and varied shapes compared to Florida rock which was more like boulders but which had more macro algae growing on it.    The other thing to consider is shipping which is where it gets costly .  Next day air is best but this where you can save money just depends how fresh you want your Rock. The fresher the more bio diversity is way I see it.    Rock ordered online was always better then what I've in lfs.

RayWhisperer

I’ve ordered from both TBS and GLR. Both were great. Though I liked TBS more, it was more expensive. That’s because it’s shipped in water. I’m sure GLR would do the same, but you have to ask for it. In the end, the amount of life on rock that is shipped in water is astounding. Hitchhikers galore with 0 or minimal die off. 3 to 4 days of 50% water changes, and your cycle is complete.

Lauraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

The only one i have any experience with is KPA live rock and it was great although I still prefer dry rock.

The last Live rock I ordered was from live aquaria, Walts smith 40lbs box. At the time they were offering some crazy deal's so I went with over nite shipping and it cycled quick.

I also ordered florida rock thru lfs that was also nice.  If I was buying rock now....Blue zoo with 3 day air. best deal I could find now but I went with dry rock instead.

Got my rock from atlantic reef conservation and I was satisfied. It came with helpful instructions  and even gloves to handle the rock with.