ReefCleaners.org

Are they coralline algae or nasty diatoms?

MK1623

Hi,

My fish tank is now about two months. Now everything is fine and It has been great.  Now I see different types of green Algae from what I had before.  Could someone let me know what are they?

IMG_4088.JPG

IMG_4087.JPG

27 minutes ago, coryscritch said:

i see some teal coming through. very nice!

Thank you very much.  I am sorry for my ignorance.  But what is teal?  

2 minutes ago, coryscritch said:

coralline algae 

Oh, great!  So, these green ones are coralline algae!!!  I am delighted to hear that!  Thank you!  

Just now, coryscritch said:

it looks like coralline to me. i have some green on my rocks too. 

Thank you!  They are different from the green algae that I had before.  So, I was hoping but was not sure.  Thank you!  I hope they are green coralline algae.  

Just now, coryscritch said:

Purple is starting to take it over though 

84FDF155-30E9-4F33-A1A5-B6D7BE70A5A3.jpeg

Wow!  Very pretty!  Thank you!

• 1 year later...
On 4/16/2018 at 2:29 AM, Tamberav said:

Please don't. Products like this can have bad side effects like bacterial blooms which effects oxygen in the water and should only be done with a good skimmer. You can also get the water too clean and starve corals. 

They are not really meant for beginners. It only adds more complication and things to monitor for a new hobbiest. 

Water changes with GOOD water are what you need. You can buy distilled if needed. 

Diatoms will most likely be impossible to control with tap water. I would assume most tap has silicates. The product you linked will not help with silicates anyways. 

Get a RODI machine and not just RO. They look complicated but I found the hardware store people helpful when brought in parts and asked them what I needed to get it to attach to my sink. 

+1 try not to introduce chemicals too much into your system.  At cycling, there's a lot of things your bacteria is doing to balance the tank.  Your job is to keep parameters stable as possible.  I know it's 4 months ago, but look at your hardware and set up.  If it has few chemicals aside from (purigen, chemipure, filter media) and it is stable, you are off to a good start.