Cultivated Reef

Green Clown Goby

NanoTrav

I knew before purchasing that these were shy fish but had also read and seen videos of some out in the open. I just got mine on Friday and so far he's staying in the rocks. What has your experience been with this fish if you have/had one? I was planning for it to be the only fish in the tank so really hoping he eventually starts to come out.

Over the years, i've had a lot of shy fish. I've found that the best way to calm down a fish that likes to hide all of the time is with dither fish. A dither fish is any fish you add to the tank that behaves normally. One that swims in the open, eats well and generally just explores the tank all day. Shy fish tend to calm down if there's something else in the tank that they can observe eating and behaving normally. This makes the shy fish feel less threatened and less panicked. Think of a dither fish as a tank buddy that the stressed fish takes it's cues from.

Also, some fish species secrete a fear hormone under stress. This hormone can remain in the water column keeping the fish feeling stressed, so water changes aren't a bad idea while the fish acclimates. Nothing unreasonable, just water change twice as often as you normally would until the fish calms down.

I was hoping to just have one fish but I will think about it. I'll give it awhile. I'll try water changes. He is eating though. Just grabs anything that goes into his cave.

Mine stayed hidden in my rock for 2 weeks after I added it to the tank. Now it can be found perching on my chalice coral or in my toadstool leather most of the time. It stays close to the rock but sometimes darts out to explore. They can be shy fish, but mine is easily one of my favorites in my tank.

13 minutes ago, Macron said:

Mine stayed hidden in my rock for 2 weeks after I added it to the tank. Now it can be found perching on my chalice coral or in my toadstool leather most of the time. It stays close to the rock but sometimes darts out to explore. They can be shy fish, but mine is easily one of my favorites in my tank.

There's hope! Thanks :D He's a cute fish I would love to see him out and about. The first night he perched on the nano mag. Was hoping that would be his spot.

You just got the fish, give it time to adjust and become comfortable. My gramma that I used to have took months to get fully used to me and the fang blenny I have now took a few weeks too. If the shyness is an issue over the long term dither fish could be a solution but some fish are just naturally secretive.

I lucked out with a super shy one.

After 2 mnths it still rarely came out, mostly when lights were ramping down.

I'd give it time because most people have the opposite experience with theirs.