SaltCritters.com

A public service announcement - Don't get scammed

RayWhisperer

RayWhisperer

I’m sure this is old hat to most seasoned site members. However, it seems to be an ongoing problem with many members. To be perfectly forthcoming, I’m no longer a mod here, I’m not involved in this site in any way beyond any other member. So, take this for what it’s worth. A simple PSA regarding scammers. 

I've tracked down a few scammer usernames, and I believe they have started all over again under new usernames. I don’t feel it’s fair to post those usernames in a general type thread, such as this. Simply because this new username, may, or may not be a scammer... The jury is still out. However, anyone who sees my username, and reads this thread can probably figure out who I’m talking about. 

Now, nothing will protect you from scammers all the time. I’m sorry, but this is the world we live in. The site really has no ability to do anything on your behalf, besides ban a confirmed scammer. So, I figure the best way to protect yourself is with some common sense. 

A few few tips that will help you to avoid being taken:

1. Deal through PayPal, only. 
  2. Pay only through goods and services, NOT friends and family. pay the fees and protect yourself.
  3. Ask for a picture of the item with the seller's username and current date written on a piece of paper, make sure it is real.
  4. Try and limit your dealings with well known, or established members.
  5. Do not deal with anyone who doesn’t reply to a public thread, but contacts you only through PM.
  6. Try and search anyone you may potentially deal with on this, and other sites. 
  7. Don’t deal with members with a very low post count.
  8. Check the profile page of the seller and review their post history.

Now, after typing that, I realize it’s kinda vague in some areas, as well as incriminating to members with low post counts. Allow me to clarify. 

I realize, not every new, or low post count member is a scammer. Just as not every longtime member is a model citizen. Just do a little digging to see if there are any negative feedback threads on them, or check their post history. If they have a bad feedback thread, obviously, don’t deal with em. If they have a low post count, check those posts. Simple one or two word posts are a clue someone is trying to bypass the minimum post count rule. How have they interacted with others in the past? Their post history can be revealing.

Paying with Paypal, through goods and services. It’s a bit more complex, and I’m certainly no lawyer, or expert on the matter. However, I believe that when you pay with friends and family, versus the goods and services method, you lose any buyer protection afforded by PayPal. I also  believe it is against Paypal’s rules to pay someone for goods with the friends and family option. Basically, what it boils down to is, f&f, no 3% charge and no protection. The g&s option charges the seller 3% and gives you buyer protection. Plus, any seller with basic math skills can figure out 3% and factor it into their asking price. It’s not like we’re talking about linear algebra.

Perhaps my comment about public forums has you confused. Fear not, I’ll cover that, too. A pretty common scam is to search the forums for WTB threads. (That’s Want To Buy, to those of you who are acronym impaired.) Then reply to the poster via PM. (Again, Private Message.) I’m not really sure of the logic in this. Perhaps, without a public record it’s easier to dispute claims against them? Or, maybe they think it will keep their scams a secret? I don’t really know. I’m not a crook, I can’t think like one. 

One thing is sure. They are out there, trying to take your money. Don’t let em. Protect yourself, and help protect this community. Report scams, and post them in the feedback forum. Search those feedback forums for the same, or similar usernames associated with scammers.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3
RayWhisperer
Just now, HarryPotter said:

You should message CM the names, he can check IP :)

Oh, I know how it works. I used to slap em with the banstick. Now I let CM do the dirty work for me.

• Like 2
RayWhisperer

Yeah, StevieT is a known scammer. I suggest anyone who wants to buy his stuff buys the inTank versions. They are of far better quality.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Thanks 1

I’ll admit I am guilty of PM’ing someone directly rather than replying to someone’s WTB/FS thread.  I do it not out of scam, but rather cut down on competition.  That does not make me a “possible scammer” though ?.  Just throwing it out there.

But Ray is right, if you research for products, the least you can do is protect yourself by researching your buyer/seller too.

Jeff

25 minutes ago, jcreefer said:

I’ll admit I am guilty of PM’ing someone directly rather than replying to someone’s WTB/FS thread.  I do it not out of scam, but rather cut down on competition.  That does not make me a “possible scammer” though ?.  Just throwing it out there.

But Ray is right, if you research for products, the least you can do is protect yourself by researching your buyer/seller too.

Jeff

Scammer Jeff for the win!

ps I’m totally legit bros. 

Thank you for this post.

It can prevent others from getting scammed.

A lot of people aren't aware of safe practices when buying from others, this can help those people.

People get scammed everyday in the world, it's not a new trend, it's been around forever, just new methods all time.

• Like 1
jamescstein

If only they'd read the first post in the both the marketplace forums.

You know the one labeled, oddly enough also created by RayWhisperer

• Like 2
RayWhisperer

It’s why I chose to make a new post, versus just posting on that thread. That thread is pinned, most members have long since forgotten about it.

• Thanks 1

Thank you for the post. Last week I was getting a sweet deal on Some goods but the seller recently opened his account and insisted I pay him thro friends and family as he was giving me a great deal. I knew he was a scammer. 

I've been scammed here once and luckily I received my money back even though I paid as Friends/gift.

One thing I learned from the Audio Forums is to ask for a pic with username and date. I use this in the reef forums if I question the owned product or sale. Also, I now stay away from Gift purchases

Hope this helps.

• Like 1
Christopher Marks
13 hours ago, jcreefer said:

That's true, but viewing your profile page shows that you have a long established reputation here as a registered member since 2004 with many posts. I'd trust you ?

These scammers generally have only made a few posts, if any, usually generic or basic responses to topics, and they have only registered within a few days to even a few months to 'season' their account. View the profiles of anyone you're considering dealing with. Review their post history. Not everyone under these parameters is trying to con someone, but if they fit this profile they deserve extreme scrutiny before any money changes hands.

2 minutes ago, West1 said:

Ask for a pic with username and date

This is a very wise suggestion! Everyone should request this.

3 minutes ago, West1 said:

I've been scammed here once and luckily I received my money back even though I paid as Friends/gift.

One thing I learned from the Audio Forums is to ask for a pic with username and date. I use this in the reef forums if I question the owned product or sale. Also, I now stay away from Gift purchases

Hope this helps.

A lot of the times it is actual hobbies doing the scamming though. They just never actually send the product. 

• Sad 1
  • Christopher Marks featured this topic

I just fell victim to this several days ago......it felt fishy in certain ways and in others it felt legit. I will report the user to CM so we can get that take care of. Thanks all!

• Christopher Marks pinned this topic
  • 2 years later...

People be very careful.

I was just messaged from a "one hour" member here claiming that his friend has a lid for sale for me. (I posted that I WTB a WB MP 25 Lid) 

So I email the "friend" and he's trying to sell me a WB MP 25 Tank. Sends me a what looks like a stock foto. Anyway I'm now skeptical as all hell. I said I wanted a lid, he then sends me a pic of a lid. I ask him for a phone to call and he does. 

Long story short the person on the phone seemed nervous. 

Some key take aways:

1. Don't trust new members

2. I would have facetimed to see the lid and stuff

3. I would have asked what forums he's on to verify he is in the hobby.

@Christopher Marks if you need more details please let me know. I can fwd you his info.

Gaspare

• Thanks 1
  • Recommended Discussions