Coral Vue Hydros

Duo Plus M and 15" goosneck possibly too long?

Houston(EX)NanoReefer

Houston(EX)NanoReefer

I've had my tank (IM Nuvo fusion 20) running for 3 months now and since the beginning I've had a feeling that I ordered a gooseneck that is too long. I'm still learning about what my corals need in terms of lighting and have played with it at a few different heights, but I haven't been able to get it to sit well at the recommended height of 4-5" from the water surface with the 15" gooseneck. I'm only keeping soft corals and LPS, but may need more intense lighting eventually. Currently my duo is about 10-12" above the water, which is 20"+ from the bottom. Should I go ahead and buy the 9" gooseneck or could I possible make it work with the 15" ? Any input from people with similar setups would be appreciated. As far as light settings, I'm using the LPS preset. 

Thanks.

SaltyBuddha
12 minutes ago, Kellie in CA said:

I have a 15x15" tank and the 15" gooseneck. I had to arch it up quite a bit and back down again. 

This here. I have mine about 5" from the top of the tank. 

Houston(EX)NanoReefer

Thanks for the input, guys. I'll play with moving it around and also adjusting the lighting settings if necessary. Glad I didn't buy the 9" gooseneck before gathering feedback. :bowdown:

Tom@HaslettMI

I tried the 15” gooseneck on a Tide on my 18” cube and hated it. I switched to the 9” and it was way better.  No more ugly humped gooseneck and it put the fixture just slightly back from being centered front to back. I wouldn’t hesitate to try the smaller gooseneck. Here’s a pic with the 9”...

81C5F3D9-97E1-4BA2-8723-886D16009061.thumb.jpeg.133f478a232e3238200162796035e616.jpeg

Tom

Houston(EX)NanoReefer
On 4/16/2018 at 8:33 PM, Tom@HaslettMI said:

I tried the 15” gooseneck on a Tide on my 18” cube and hated it. I switched to the 9” and it was way better.  No more ugly humped gooseneck and it put the fixture just slightly back from being centered front to back. I wouldn’t hesitate to try the smaller gooseneck. Here’s a pic with the 9”...

81C5F3D9-97E1-4BA2-8723-886D16009061.thumb.jpeg.133f478a232e3238200162796035e616.jpeg

Tom

Do you mind posting a pic from the side? I’d like to see how far off center it is for you, because my tank is 15” wide and it’d be a close comparison.

Tom@HaslettMI
2 hours ago, davidysmael said:

Do you mind posting a pic from the side? I’d like to see how far off center it is for you, because my tank is 15” wide and it’d be a close comparison.

Sorry, I don’t have a pic from the side and can’t take one. I sold the Tide and  picked up a used Duo with the longer gooseneck. Eventually I’ll switch the Duo over to hanging... because I dislike the look of the candycane gooseneck so much. 

I would guess the Tide LED array sat about 7” in from the gooseneck clamp...

D231B3DD-4B0F-4542-89C7-29594D32D705.thumb.jpeg.e55afa167f15bcd61a43624deb319eb8.jpeg