ReefCleaners.org

Biocube 14 gallon. HELPPP

Biocubelife

3 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Lfs water is notoriously untrustworthy.

It may not even be rodi, just Ro which would definitely aid it be the cause of such high nutrients.

Feeding frozen that often and too much could be the factor.

Not changing media often enough, not rinsing media bags, not vacuuming sand, blasting rocks, not vacuuming back chambers are all possible causes.

What Clown said. Especially vacuuming sand and back chambers, and basting rox. Also, the first chamber is a notorious nutrient factory as there's no way to clean it unless you have removed the baffle. Why they designed it that way, I have no idea, but I wish i had the sense to cut that baffle out before I established the tank. To do it now would require draining the tank, and figuring out how to get a coping saw blade in to cut the baffle up, THEN figure out how to vacuum ALL the plastic bits out, including the tiny ones from the saw. Maybe some day.

• 3 weeks later...
Biocubelife
On 6/26/2018 at 1:36 PM, Clown79 said:

Lfs water is notoriously untrustworthy.

It may not even be rodi, just Ro which would definitely aid it be the cause of such high nutrients.

Feeding frozen that often and too much could be the factor.

Not changing media often enough, not rinsing media bags, not vacuuming sand, blasting rocks, not vacuuming back chambers are all possible causes.

Ran into a a GHA outbreak last week. Started the process of running lights for less time and water changes. Tested all water. Changed out the chemipure elite and added phosguard. Of course phosphates were fairly low because the algae is consuming it. Hopefully I get some pretty coralline algae out of this. 

2 hours ago, Biocubelife said:

Ran into a a GHA outbreak last week. Started the process of running lights for less time and water changes. Tested all water. Changed out the chemipure elite and added phosguard. Of course phosphates were fairly low because the algae is consuming it. Hopefully I get some pretty coralline algae out of this. 

Why would gha cause coralline algae?

From your pics, you need to take a stiff toothbrush to your filter grates and give them a good scrub while siphoning during h2o changes. Cutting your flow can create low flow spots in the filter area, allowing detritus to build up and feed the GHA growth. Think of the air cleaner in your car. Let it get too dirty and your gas mileage goes into the crapper, and nasty things start to build up in the engine. Strict attention to housekeeping will go a long way to helping control your nutrient levels and alga issues.

• Like 2
docshipwreck

I noticed you have 2 power heads for extra flow. I have a BC14 and the spin stream. I noticed a significant reduction in turnover ( I forget what the documented reduction is) and then algae started getting weird.

All the above suggestions are good. Stay consistent with WC, change your medias frequently, and mind the back chambers.

I ultimately took my spinstream off with the current pump and noticed an overall improvement in my tank.

On 7/15/2018 at 2:11 PM, docshipwreck said:

I noticed you have 2 power heads for extra flow. I have a BC14 and the spin stream. I noticed a significant reduction in turnover ( I forget what the documented reduction is) and then algae started getting weird.

All the above suggestions are good. Stay consistent with WC, change your medias frequently, and mind the back chambers.

I ultimately took my spinstream off with the current pump and noticed an overall improvement in my tank.

Ya spinners need an upgraded pump otherwise they cut the flow by 50%

• Like 1