Mag: .38=930

Ca: .35=325

Nitrite: 0ppm

Ammonia 0

Ph 8.4

Nitrate:0

Kh:.46

phos is at 2.0

Do you have a phosphate remover? I use Phosnet. Only use a little bit though(1/4) cup. Put it in a bag, in your filter. Do a big water change and get different salt when you do it. I use Kent. My levels are always good. 

You can make a fairly reliable ATO on the cheap, out of a hamster water bottle from Petco for $4.99. I use one in the 3rd chamber of my 14g BC and as long as I fill it with RO/DI daily it keeps my salinity levels consistent. I twisted off the "stainless steel" nipple, cuz I don't trust ANY steel in water, especially chinese steel, put a short piece of vinyl tubing over the end and its a done deal. Someday I'll make a better hanger for it but for right now it's all I need.

DSC_0002.JPG

• Like 1
Reefaddiction
25 minutes ago, Oldsalt01 said:

You can make a fairly reliable ATO on the cheap, out of a hamster water bottle from Petco for $4.99. I use one in the 3rd chamber of my 14g BC and as long as I fill it with RO/DI daily it keeps my salinity levels consistent. I twisted off the "stainless steel" nipple, cuz I don't trust ANY steel in water, especially chinese steel, put a short piece of vinyl tubing over the end and its a done deal. Someday I'll make a better hanger for it but for right now it's all I need.

DSC_0002.JPG

? fish tank macgyver over here... love it!

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Oldsalt01 said:

DSC_0002.JPG

First, this is very cool BUT if you have to refill it daily what is it accomplishing exactly?  At least from a convenience stand point. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Duane Clark said:

First, this is very cool BUT if you have to refill it daily what is it accomplishing exactly?  At least from a convenience stand point. 

I still use the stock hood with nanobox retro.. I go through less than 16 ounces of water a week.. but yea if the lid is removed then evap might be too great for the water bottle ato..

49 minutes ago, Weikel said:

I still use the stock hood with nanobox retro.. I go through less than 16 ounces of water a week.. but yea if the lid is removed then evap might be too great for the water bottle ato..

I just have a screen on my 14g biocube and go through 1 gallon of water a week like clock work.  I use a slim 1 gallon jug in my stand to feed my ato.  dose kalk through it also.  works like a charm. 

Biocubelife
6 hours ago, coryscritch said:

Do you have a phosphate remover? I use Phosnet. Only use a little bit though(1/4) cup. Put it in a bag, in your filter. Do a big water change and get different salt when you do it. I use Kent. My levels are always good. 

Doesn’t chemi pure and a bag of carbon help with phosphates?

coryscritch
3 hours ago, Biocubelife said:

Doesn’t chemi pure and a bag of carbon help with phosphates?

i would look into a media that is specific to your problem. 

19 hours ago, Duane Clark said:

It keeps my salinity stable and I don't have to worry about my ATO screwin up and flooding the floor. Some of us don't have the luxury of unlimited income.

3 hours ago, Oldsalt01 said:

It keeps my salinity stable and I don't have to worry about my ATO screwin up and flooding the floor. Some of us don't have the luxury of unlimited income.

fair enough.  I was asking...not judging.  As I said, it is a very cool idea.  

• 1 month later...
Biocubelife

Just an update on this tank. Thanks again to all my fellow tankers. 

Things are looking good. Added a few more coral and a ramp timer pro. Couldn’t have done it without you guys. Crazy how easy it is to get help in this area now versus 10 years ago. 

Levels are all stable. Moved a couple rocks around which I’m crossing my fingers didn’t trigger a small cycle.

should I do a small water change since I typically do it every three days and todays the third day?

what are your guys lighting schedules?

Spoiler

Water change after moving rocks around or wait?

FC29DD38-5571-4D9E-ACEE-7B768986B786.jpeg

72CFF4CF-5403-4536-8BBD-2EB673154B41.jpeg

3320C473-B7B7-4F2C-995B-F6964074C125.jpeg

Moving rocks won't start a cycle. If it did my 14g BC would be in continuous flux, lol. I'd recommend slowing ur water changes to 10%,  once a week. At this point u want more stability in the tank and water changes will decrease that stability to a small point, unless the new water is exactly the same as the old, parameter wise. JMHO. Tank is looking great.

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, Oldsalt01 said:

Moving rocks won't start a cycle. If it did my 14g BC would be in continuous flux, lol. I'd recommend slowing ur water changes to 10%,  once a week. At this point u want more stability in the tank and water changes will decrease that stability to a small point, unless the new water is exactly the same as the old, parameter wise. JMHO. Tank is looking great.

I dunno. I do almost 60% water weekly. I don’t test a damn thing either. I’m lazy. I got one five gallon for clean and one more for dirty. I violently (like Brock turner behind a dumpster) siphon my sand and usually take a rock or two out to rinse and scrub. I don’t know how stable anything is other than temp and sg. I dunno. What works for some won’t for others. I just kind of play it by ear, watch the critters, Bad things happen fast so if it ain’t broke I just keep on going. 

On 6/17/2018 at 7:36 PM, 1891Bro said:

I dunno. I do almost 60% water weekly. I don’t test a damn thing either. I’m lazy. I got one five gallon for clean and one more for dirty. I violently (like Brock turner behind a dumpster) siphon my sand and usually take a rock or two out to rinse and scrub. I don’t know how stable anything is other than temp and sg. I dunno. What works for some won’t for others. I just kind of play it by ear, watch the critters, Bad things happen fast so if it ain’t broke I just keep on going. 

You are right. There is no 1 way of doing something. Each system and its needs are different.

I was always a religious weekly tester in the beginning.

Now my 2 tanks are tested monthly besides Alk which is weekly(unless I visually see shits off and testing may tell me why)

I always did weekly waterchanges of 10-15% but have now moved on to 20% every 2 weeks.

Things have actually been happier with the new routine. 

To the OP.

Tank is looking good.

You could do weekly waterchanges instead of every 3 days.

Using carbon and chemipure is essentially using the same media.

I prefer carbon and other medium to chemipure as they do the same thing but without the dent in my pocket from chemipure.

If you have issues with phos, using phosguard will help that much more than carbon or chemipure.

• Like 1
Biocubelife
On 6/20/2018 at 2:36 PM, Clown79 said:

You are right. There is no 1 way of doing something. Each system and its needs are different.

I was always a religious weekly tester in the beginning.

Now my 2 tanks are tested monthly besides Alk which is weekly(unless I visually see shits off and testing may tell me why)

I always did weekly waterchanges of 10-15% but have now moved on to 20% every 2 weeks.

Things have actually been happier with the new routine. 

To the OP.

Tank is looking good.

You could do weekly waterchanges instead of every 3 days.

Using carbon and chemipure is essentially using the same media.

I prefer carbon and other medium to chemipure as they do the same thing but without the dent in my pocket from chemipure.

If you have issues with phos, using phosguard will help that much more than carbon or chemipure.

any recomendations on lighting schedule? I have one white and one deep blue. Current USA Ramp Timer Pro

4 hours ago, Biocubelife said:

any recomendations on lighting schedule? I have one white and one deep blue. Current USA Ramp Timer Pro

I like my tanks on the blue side. So I generally run my whites low and blues high. On my aquamaxx I run 85% blue and 20% white.

I have 2hr ramp up and 2 hr ramp down.

Starts at 11:30pm ends 9:30

Biocubelife
On 6/22/2018 at 6:20 PM, Clown79 said:

I like my tanks on the blue side. So I generally run my whites low and blues high. On my aquamaxx I run 85% blue and 20% white.

1130am right? Haha

Biocubelife
On 6/22/2018 at 6:20 PM, Clown79 said:

1130am right? Haha

anybody got tips to reduce them nitrates? I just sky rocketed to 40ppm and my pistol shrimp has gone missing....

7 hours ago, Biocubelife said:

1130am right? Haha

anybody got tips to reduce them nitrates? I just sky rocketed to 40ppm and my pistol shrimp has gone missing....

Yes 11:30 am although it wouldn't matter if you started it at 11:30pm and ended it at 9:30am.

As for reducing nitrates- a lot more info is needed on the system to determine cause.

Anything from feeding, poor husbandry, high bioload, water source, or filtration media use can lead to high nutrients.

Biocubelife
2 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Yes 11:30 am although it wouldn't matter if you started it at 11:30pm and ended it at 9:30am.

As for reducing nitrates- a lot more info is needed on the system to determine cause.

Anything from feeding, poor husbandry, high bioload, water source, or filtration media use can lead to high nutrients.

I get my water from from my lfs filtration is filter in tank media basket with filter floss, carbon bag, and chemipure. Feeding wise. I feed them a half cube every three days. 

4 hours ago, Biocubelife said:

I get my water from from my lfs filtration is filter in tank media basket with filter floss, carbon bag, and chemipure. Feeding wise. I feed them a half cube every three days. 

Lfs water is notoriously untrustworthy.

It may not even be rodi, just Ro which would definitely aid it be the cause of such high nutrients.

Feeding frozen that often and too much could be the factor.

Not changing media often enough, not rinsing media bags, not vacuuming sand, blasting rocks, not vacuuming back chambers are all possible causes.