Innovative Marine Aquariums

Fluval Evo 13.5 question

Minidoll

I just bought a Fluval Evo 13.5. :happydance:  I’m going to transfer my Mr. Aqua 7.5 bow front to the Fluval. I have a question about the “pedestal” base. There are six little rubber plugs/feet that the tank sits on. Would it be best to remove them (they just pop out) and use a self leveling mat instead? I’m worried that the weight won’t be distributed evenly with those little plugs. The plan for this tank is to upgrade the return pump to a Sicce .05 and add an Intank media basket to the first chamber. I’ll use a big, open mesh bag of Seachem Matrix in the second chamber in place of the sponge filter that came with the tank. I’m not going to use the lid and light that came with the tank either. I already have an AI HD Prime that I’ll use. Once I get all the filter upgrades and new sand I will set it up and cycle. Once the cycle is finished I’ll do the transfer. Should be easy-peasy and straightforward. 

Speaking of plugs don't forget to plug that chamber 2 hole. It will help with the flow in the rear chambers and seems to keep the rear chamber cleaner.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, MrJoel said:

Speaking of plugs don't forget to plug that chamber 2 hole. It will help with the flow in the rear chambers and seems to keep the rear chamber cleaner.

Yep, that’s in the plan too. Thinking about getting a piece of black acrylic and super glue it over the hole. I think that would look nicer than aquarium epoxy or silicone. 

1 hour ago, Lugmos12 said:

I removed the plugs on the bottom bc they actually broke off when I was moving the tank around.

I noticed that two of mine kept popping out when moving the tank around. When it actually comes time to set this up I will make sure they are snug. Thanks for sharing your experience with this tank. :)

• 1 year later...

I mulled over these feet myself when I filled out EVO. I think Fluval put some thought into these feet and I trust they have a function of leveling if the support surface is not even.