Coral Vue Hydros

Flaming Prawn Goby (Discordipinna griessingeri) and Powerheads

Jessienzo

Hello! :D 

So... I had the opportunity to get a Flaming Prawn goby and decided to give it a try since this fish is way to beautiful! 

I know it's a tiny and shy fish, but I don't mind that. 

My question is: Do you think I need to cover my powerheads? I have 2 Koralia nano (240 and 425) in an Evo 13.5. 

If the answer is yes, what's the best way to do it? 

The Reef Novice

Where do you have your powerheads located?, I am not too familiar with the Flaming Prawn Goby but I am very familiar with Goby's as a species. Goby's tend to stay on the gravel or substrate of an aquarium. They may occasionally come up to feed but usually they cling to the substrate, rock structures and hide in crevices. IMO I wouldn't worry to much about the powerheads.

I've had them in tanks with koralias and they never gave me cause to worry. They stuck to the sand or climbed the back wall.  I did have to pull them out of the back chamber a few times, so beware of jumping. I'd worry about that more than powerheads. 

Had mine in a 3 gallon bowfront and now an 8 gallon tank with 2 mp10s. It literally only pokes its head out and very rarely will it venture 2" from it's den. You have no worries. 

There's a picture for the powerheads locations.

(Sorry, glass are dirty.... blenny's food lol) 

Cannedfish, I will have it this coming weekend :P haha 

PowerHead.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tank looks great.

When you get the goby, please share a pic?

I've never experienced gobies getting close to a powerhead.

It looks high enough to not be an issue

Now blennies, they seem to love to sit on them.

MainelyReefer

I have lost a yasha goby from a powerhead so it's possible to kill a gobie with one unfortunately.  I would proceed with caution.  I saw A flaming prawn goby locally last week in NH but didn't have 60$ or a tank to put it in. Post pics when you get it