Cultivated Reef

New to Nano's Cycle ?

Rob_Reef_Keeper

Rob_Reef_Keeper

Hello everyone,

I am new to Nano's but not new to reefing. I have a 46 Bow that has been up for about 2 years.

This nano will be for small SPS frags and Clams.

It is a 15 gallon with 130 Watts JBJ lighting (Bright). A 3-4" DSB and about 7 lbs of LR so far.

I used live sand and cured live rock. I have had the tank running for almost 2 weeks now and have not seen any sort of change ammonia or nitrates. Both are reading 0. This is probably due to the cured rock with probably no die off. I am also running a penguin hand on filter without the Bio-Wheel for water movement and to run carbon.

Could this tank be ready for some corals?

What is a very colorful SPS coral that will not grow too fast for this tank?

The first thing that I would do is get your rock level up! It is going to be hard to create a stable environment for your clams (which they will need) with that amount of rock. Stability is harder to acheive in a smaller system, so we have to be a little more careful when creating small tanks. I say try dropping some food in the tank and see what happens... If it is consumed by the "critters" and doesn't cause any flux in your nitrate levels then it just might be possible that you are done (though I would venture to guess that if you add food you will "kick off" the cycle). However, it is possible, sometimes people just happen to create the perfect combo, and get lucky!!

Dont rush it. if the sand and rock was from yer other tank, YES U can add stuff. if its a new set up, let it run doing w/c every week fer 45 days. then test adding some stuff. check some similar post here... there are a LOT of similar ones.

Rob_Reef_Keeper

Thanks for your imput.

The reason there isn't more LR in there yet is when I usually get corals they have LR attached. I can probably add a few more pieces though.

I will wait it out a few more weeks. Maybe I can add some small hermits and/or snails to start.

Archived