Top Shelf Aquatics

35gal Cube build

05XRunner

So I am setting up a new tank. Its been little over 4years since my last one.

This is a 35 cube 20x20x20.

Drilled myself

running a Radion G2 pro

Skimmer Icecap k2-50

10gal sump

Media reactor with BRS GFO/Carbon

water is a 4 stage RO/DI

water movement is from a Jebao PP-4 wavemaker

return pump is a Jebao DCS-2000 DC pump

No water in it yet. I wont be filling it up till after we get back from Disneyworld at the end of the month.

40661019474_ee3ddd14ac_b.jpgJOND3562 by jon duboy, on Flickr

• Like 2

some top down shots

27506618088_b1912980ba_b.jpgJOND3564 by jon duboy, on Flickr

27506618148_0a7b2f8b59_b.jpgJOND3563 by jon duboy, on Flickr

so far the K2-50 is super quiet. I could hardly hear it running from 10feet away in a bucket of water/vinegar to give it a quicker break in when it starts running. 

I can also attest the acrylic on the collection cup is super strong. When I was washing it out I dropped the cup off the top of the skimmer about 5feet off the ground. Bounced off the washer and to the ground and not a scratch LOL

• Like 2

Awesome, I am currently cycling a 35g 20" DeepBlue cube with a corner overflow, 10g sump, eheim compact 3000. Your tank looks huge with the small overflow! I will be following along with this build

yea mine is a deep blue 35 as well. I got it a few years ago on a dollar a gallon sale a local place had and I have been itching to setup. wasnt a reef ready so I made it..my overflow is only 1.75" deep so its a real nice low profile. 

So I keep wondering about my stand. this is best i could do to try and mock up how I built it. its all built with 1x4 and the top wood the tank sits on is 2 1x12 boards cut to size

I mean the tank full is only 240lbs which really isnt all that heavy I think when comes to wood but I never trust myself.

the frame width under the top wood is 18" and the tank is 20.5 in so it overhangs the actual frame under just a hair. 

there are 2 stands in the images. one shows the frame only and the other shows the 1x4 boards skinned on the front. the right side has a door but I didnt add that in the photo since it adds nothing.

oh I forgot to add there are 3 1x4 cut to size sitting ontop of the bottom square of the frame that supports the 10g.

I think i have enough wood there is no chance that it could twist or torque in anyway

This is my 3rd stand I have built and everytime I always doubt myself. other 2 was for a 30breeder and 40 breeder 

40496745595_c3394253e6_c.jpgtop2 by jon duboy, on Flickr

40496745645_2a190787b1_c.jpgtop1 by jon duboy, on Flickr

41391777951_4bbf1e4ed3_c.jpgfront 1 by jon duboy, on Flickr

40496745715_2cca0bf0f1_c.jpgbottom by jon duboy, on Flickr

41348927172_afc0ecced5_c.jpgback1 by jon duboy, on Flickr

• 1 month later...

been forever since I posted anything.

Here is a quick video of how the tank is looking. Hopefully I can not get rid of this one after about 6months and let everything I have grow out.

• Like 3
Christopher Marks

Lovely tank tour @05XRunner, good to see you back!

All the fish look like they're doing great! I see the beginnings of a nice SPS collection too, the aquascape really lends itself well to it. 👌

yea everything seems to be running smoothly so far.

I got a few SPS frags going. I am gonna see how well I can do. In the past i liked putzing around to much. this time my Radion is set to AB+ mode and letting things ride. Just getting the 2part dialed in this week. 

• Like 1

Ok so the rocks are what everyone's doing right now and clowns are boring. And is a 35 gallon really a nano tank?  Sorry for being the only truthful person here 

Snow_Phoenix

If you look at some of the past TOTMs, they're bigger than 35G, so I see no issue in a 35G being branded as a nano. 

As for the tank itself, it looks lovely. I like the scape. And I love your little TSB. Are you planning on adding more SPS? 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Bdub-67 said:

Ok so the rocks are what everyone's doing right now and clowns are boring. And is a 35 gallon really a nano tank?  Sorry for being the only truthful person here 

:rolleyes: Most definitions say anything under 40 or even 50 gallons is a nano and there are plenty of those on this site. We also have a subforum just for larger tanks than that. We even allow discussion of freshwater tanks, vivariums, and many other off topic subjects here.  

2 hours ago, Bdub-67 said:

I'm not a troll just my opinion. Sorry if my honesty offends you. So that makes you the troll now 😴

You're not being honest, you're being rude. Clowns may be boring, but they're popular for a reason. If you don't like clowns, you don't have to get them or look at the hundreds of tanks on here that have them. And cove rocks aren't what "everyone" is doing, but again, it's a popular scape theme for a reason. 

Anyway, if you were trying to troll on here, you'll have to try harder than that. And keep in mind that this is a community where people make an effort to treat one another with respect. Not insult their hard work on their scape and their livestock choices. 

OP, your scape looks like a good one with plenty of mounting spots. Good choice. :smilie:

• Like 7

yea I am going to pick up a few more SPS and some LPS not going overboard and I want to see it just grow this time. Looks boring now till the rock gets covered in coralline 

• Like 2
banasophia
2 hours ago, 05XRunner said:

yea I am going to pick up a few more SPS and some LPS not going overboard and I want to see it just grow this time. Looks boring now till the rock gets covered in coralline 

It sounds like you’re taking a different approach this time... how have you done it differently in the past?

In past I would constantly play with the LED settings, Cause I like to tinker. move stuff around alot. and just buy a ton of frags and never grow out. this time I am just going for set it and forget it for the light and not as many frags and just try and not lose interest and let it all grow out. 

banasophia
22 minutes ago, 05XRunner said:

In past I would constantly play with the LED settings, Cause I like to tinker. move stuff around alot. and just buy a ton of frags and never grow out. this time I am just going for set it and forget it for the light and not as many frags and just try and not lose interest and let it all grow out. 

That makes sense. 👍☺️

This is a great looking tank and I like the aquascape, you have tons of room for coral placement.  20x20x20 is not a common size, very cool  Following along.

19 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

:rolleyes: Most definitions say anything under 40 or even 50 gallons is a nano and there are plenty of those on this site. We also have a subforum just for larger tanks than that. We even allow discussion of freshwater tanks, vivariums, and many other off topic subjects here.  

You're not being honest, you're being rude. Clowns may be boring, but they're popular for a reason. If you don't like clowns, you don't have to get them or look at the hundreds of tanks on here that have them. And cove rocks aren't what "everyone" is doing, but again, it's a popular scape theme for a reason. 

Anyway, if you were trying to troll on here, you'll have to try harder than that. And keep in mind that this is a community where people make an effort to treat one another with respect. Not insult their hard work on their scape and their livestock choices. 

OP, your scape looks like a good one with plenty of mounting spots. Good choice. :smilie:

Nicely put.

On 6/5/2018 at 11:14 AM, 05XRunner said:

Best thing you can do!