Cultivated Reef

Are these pest anemones?

TerenceMcKenna

TerenceMcKenna

My 20g long has been running for 7 months and I have these clear anemones with short hairlike white tentacles that are growing in the back glass and all over the live rock. They are very small, the size of a small shirt button, maybe smaller. I tried removing them by hand when there were only a few and now they are all over the tank. Should I be worried about these?

20180410_140334.jpg

20180410_140154.jpg

If they are clear but have round balls at the end of their tentacles then they are ball anemones, which are safe and cool.  They usually don't open up in full light and prefer darker spots or when the lights go out.  

I can't tell from your picture though.  I would definitely look up pictures of ball anemones as well as colonial hydroids, feather dusters, and other hydroids in general.

Unfortunately, they don't look like ball 'nems or feather dusters to me. I'm also thinking colonial hydroids, but it's rather hard to tell from the pic. I enlarged it and it looks like there are small "heads" at the ends of the stalks, which are fairly typical for hydroids.

• 2 weeks later...

The first pic looks like the same thing I have in my tank. I am thinking it is pineapple' sponges. I am told they are (harmless filter feeders).  Please do not take my work for it. Google Pineapple Sponge and see if it is familiar.

TerenceMcKenna

Thank you for all the replies. I managed to take some better pics of the creatures. They have a jellylike body and short white hairs or "tentacles". They don't seem to sting the corals or affect them in any way.

20180427_201357.jpg

20180427_201437.jpg

20180427_201324.jpg

A Little Blue
4 hours ago, TerenceMcKenna said:

Thank you for all the replies. I managed to take some better pics of the creatures. They have a jellylike body and short white hairs or "tentacles". They don't seem to sting the corals or affect them in any way.

20180427_201357.jpg

20180427_201437.jpg

20180427_201324.jpg

Second picture concerns me a bit. Can you get a better shot of it? 

Should also check the tank in the middle of the night when all the lights are out, then turn them on and quickly get some shots before things close up.  Or use a flashlight while shooting a pic.  There are quite a few hitchhikers that expand to feed at night and close up during the day, like strawberry / ball tipped anemones for example.  

• 4 months later...

These are considered as pests in the marine aquarium body. There are accidentally imported as hitchhikers on live rock or on the base of corals. If you find Aiptasia in your aquarium, you will want to take steps immediately to keep these pest anemones at a minimum. If they have gone to foothold, it is eventually very difficult to get rid of them. If you are finding it difficult to identify or are not able to get rid of them, it would be better than you ask Pest Control Fairfield CT for some advice. If it would be a pest that will harm your corals, this could be helpful if they are not pests, you would be sure that no pest will harm your corals.

• 5 months later...