ReefCleaners.org

K.I.S.S. 40B Mixed Reef

Drew11

Ok, so this will officially be the largest reef tank I have ever run. I have had a 29g FOWLR when I first started 6 years ago, then a 12g aquapod mixed reef, then a 10g IM fusion mixed reef. 

Plans for this tank:

Basically try to keep it really simple. I'm going sump-less. The contents in this tank will eventually be going into a IM SR-60 I have in storage. So, essentially this is a test tank for a couple reasons.

1. Will I like the size? (Almost identical dimensions) Or do I want to keep things more "nano" still and sell the SR-60.

2. I'm going bare bottom here. So if I like it that's what I'll move forward with. If not I will add sand to the 60.

Tank: 40 Breeder

Lighting: Kessil A160we lighting one side where coral will be until I decide what fixture I'd like. Most likely a hybrid T5/LED.

Flow: AC 70 with surface skimmer, MP10 & RW4 for now,

ATO: Tunze nano

Control: Apex Jr

Heater: 125w jager

Skimmer: I have a eshopps PSK HOB skimmer. Id like a Tunze 9004 but I want to sell the eshopps one first. 

Whats in my IM fusion 10 will be going right into the 40 Breeder! 

IMG_20180406_105757.thumb.jpg.f9fea1d32fa5c98c5f4f14322820f94b.jpg

• Like 3
On 4/10/2018 at 10:13 PM, Type-H20 said:

Sounds like a good plan.  40B is still a great tank.  Aqueon should really smarten up and start producing a rimless version.

Yeah I agree. Dimensions are ideal a d I've heard a lot of people say great things about the volume of the tank just being in that sweet spot of not too large but not too small. 

I picked up the glass versa top to use. I want to keep evap to a minimum. 

I'm just going to make a few customizations to the metal stand to hold electronic controls and power strips. 

Little update:

Wanted to make something that I could put my electronics on, and I had seen something like this on instagram and liked it. Being that I have a metal stand I was lacking a spot to hold my controllers for my MP10, tunze ato, apex, etc.  This should do the job.

Also decided to paint the back glass black. I'll have quite a bit of stuff on the back (heater, AC70 w/ surface skimmer,  CPR Aquafuge, possibly a skimmer) being that most of that equipment is black... this will helps reduce the visibility and eye sore of it. IMG_20180418_154443.thumb.jpg.c864515f56bb430ced9b94d7b94d5fd7.jpgIMG_20180418_154320.thumb.jpg.10df2ddf40d4e7253708001c3beb8052.jpgIMG_20180418_154401.thumb.jpg.1636433093648525ff2a019c2409a12e.jpg

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...

So I picked up some used equipment and livestock from someone selling locally. I moved the stuff over from my 10g tank into the 40 a couple weeks ago and let that settle in. 

Here's what I received on what I would call a very generous price:

1. 4 good pieces of established LR 

2. Coral Beauty, Clownfish and large elegance coral, large rock covered in purple star polyp, two heads of what looks like a hammer coral, couple small zoa frags.

3. Tunze Doc 9004 skimmer

4. CPR aquafuge medium filled with pods and chaeto

5. Maxspect grye 150

6. Arctic T-247 LED light (I'll use temporarily) 

7. Reefkeeper lite (probably won't use -- running Nepune Apex Jr)

8. Full bottles of B-ionic ESV two part.

9. 7 different ATI bulbs for my soon to own Sunpower retro light from nanobox

The good news: Everything has settled in nicely, fish are happy, corals look good. Most of the hardware is soaking in vinegar. 

The BAD news: When I was leveling the tank a while back I must have moved it closer to the wall, and as a result I did not leave enough room for the CPR aquafuge 😞 I'm short about 1/2 inch. It sucks but I'd really like to run the fuge and don't want it hanging on the side. So my plan is to find a day to drain the water out into a brute can and move the tank and stand out a couple inches away from the wall. IMG_20180508_202503.thumb.jpg.f5ac107d8694d170e2653be2fa79cf54.jpgIMG_20180508_202657.thumb.jpg.5139c60ae244bde5cce6bf4c72ef8d93.jpgIMG_20180508_202646.thumb.jpg.67a1606cfc44f6f2173dcf5947b420ac.jpgIMG_20180508_202528.thumb.jpg.57edc7b1bc4b2e168ad53947c1a2664d.jpg

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...
On 8/28/2018 at 6:53 PM, Type-H20 said:

Any update on this tank?

Yes! I ordered a Nanobox retro from Dave... 2 arrays with 2 bulbs 24". I have yet to put it up though as I'm trying to find the best way to hang the fixture. I'm not very handy so I'm thinking I might just use some wall shelf brackets. I thought of the bending conduit idea as well. We'll see what happens.

I was also able to move the tank a little to get enough room in the back to use the CPR refugium. Currently going with no skimmer at the moment. I used the Tunze 9004 for a little bit but it doesn't fit with the glass lid so I opted for the glass cover instead to reduce evap. 

The tank itself is actually looking great, most of the summer I was just dealing with some algae but that has all gone away for the most part as it has stabilized nicely. 

The time of year where I can give the tank some more attention is approaching, so I will most likely be adding some fish & coral slowly in the next few months.

I love the bare bottom... it makes sucking up all the detritus super easy when doing a water change. It tends to settle mostly in one spot anyway, and whatever doesn't I use a turkey baster to blow over to where the rest of it is, then just siphon it all out. 

I kind of miss the look of sand, but I've seen some awesome tanks that just grow different encrusting coral on the tank bottom, so I'd like to try something like that maybe.

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

A few pictures today after a much needed water change yesterday.

Trying to get Phosphates down, just ordered a Hanna Checker to get a good reading on them. 

My goal is to really start testing weekly if not twice a week. I've been in the hobby a while now and I believe at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter what gadgets you run necessarily. Keeping pristine water conditions is the most important thing for a healthy thriving tank. 

One coral I've never had success with are zoanthids. Eventually they always diminish. Hopefully by consistent testing I can find the reason behind that.

I've always been a lover of ricordea mushrooms so I'd like to add some of those as well.  

IMG_20190129_150257.jpg

IMG_20190129_150357.jpg

MVIMG_20190129_150320.jpg

• Like 4
  • 3 months later...
On 5/1/2019 at 2:18 AM, Txoutlaw said:

looking good,do you have a update on it?

Yes! It's been a while... 

IMG_20190419_153420.thumb.jpg.60a4b8f5fb3ff36cf34ea3fddde63939.jpg

The GOOD: I'm starting to dial in the parameters. I've always struggled with low ALK, so I ordered some kalk and I'm working on stabilizing everything before I start dosing it via ATO. 

The BAD: I lost my male clownfish. Not sure what happened. I just don't think he was eating enough. The more aggressive fish in the tank seemed to get everything and I'd watch the clownfish spit out much of what it tried to eat. 

The UGLY: When my Phosphates were high I'd get algae outbreaks, but after ordering the Hanna checker I've now got those in check with some GFO in my HOB refugium. Also, all the cords and wires are an eye sore. The stand I have hides nothing and I knew that going in. It's not much of a display tank, more or less a temporary tank until I move. 

I also rearranged some rock work after I purchased a Tomini Tang 🏃💨 🚨🐠🚨 that's me running from the Tang Police. The Tang is doing very well right now. It's small enough and is constantly grazing the rockwork and glass. 

• Like 1