Cultivated Reef

New fuge light setup - biocube29

Nocturnal

When I had my tank really running well two years ago I used a small JBJ fuge light with mixed success in the third chamber of my cube. Now that I'm back up and really running again. I had used this ACKE grow light previously on some mangroves and it seemed to put off some quality light. This is mounted against the glass in typical Biocube fashion.  I kept looking at my fuge area and it seems such a missed opportunity to not provide some light from the top as well. The gooseneck fixture seems perfect. I can aim two spots (they are supposedly water proof) down into the fuge area leaving the third to act as a grow light for contain of mangroves I'm trying to grow out behind the tank on the counter.

I removed my aquaclear skimmer because it's noisy and the bubbles annoy me and I'm hoping I can grow enough chaeto to make it unnecessary. I will provide a pic of the setup and any results I see. I think these will provide plenty of power due to the low depth needed to hit the chaeto. Any thoughts?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076ZNGS35/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LX1EO3W/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

led2.JPG

led1.JPG

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I ditched the gooseneck lamps. The other light is doing great at growing chaeto and the material on the goosenecks reacted with the water so I'm concerned about contamination if it gets wet.

A Little Blue

Is 12Watts an accurate output of that light? It wasn’t clear from description. 

If so, than it’s probably enough to grow. 

jamescstein

on the square light, is that a removable sticker on the front? I.e. do the leds cover the whole face of the light?

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 12:42 PM, MrsK said:

I have the two light version of the gooseneck. I have not had good growth on my chaeto. Just increased the photoperiod to 8 hours to see if it will help.

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 4:41 PM, jamescstein said:

on the square light, is that a removable sticker on the front? I.e. do the leds cover the whole face of the light?

They do not. Under the sticker there aren't any LEDs. 

I'd crank it up a little more than that myself. I run my lights about 16 hours. 

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 1:34 PM, Clown79 said:

I'm thinking of using the aquare light on my IM.

I'm still growing quite a bit of chaeto with my tank being fairly clean.

• 1 month later...

I bought the same ACKE lights after looking at this thread, and I've been really pleased. It's very bright.

I bought it for my Aquaclear 70 HOB chaeto chamber and it's been growing like wild. I've been cutting the cheato in half every 2 weeks.

Hope this helps

• Thanks 1