Pod Your Reef

IM Fusion 10 / 14 sump area use?

jeremyan7

I'm curious to know how others have tricked out their IM Fusion Sump areas.  Particularly the 3 slot 12" wide back's on the 10 and 14 and 20 peninsula tanks..

For me, I have the 14g and I've left the original return pump but have considered upgrading to something more quite.  But the flow in the tank (with SpinFlow) seems more than adequate).  I have in the return column also got a 50 Magnum LED heater (which I'm not thrilled with as it's only adjustable in 2 degree increments and is off by at least 2 degrees out of the box).  And the Tunze Osmolator makeup sensor (that is actually a very tight fit, requires modification).  Also there is a 6"x2" slab of phosphate pad and a small bag of purigen in that column.

The middle column is easy.  IM Ghost Nano skimmer

And the overflow column I've replaced the filter sock with the IM 3 chamber media rack.  I use the TOP chamber for a double wide Nitrate pad / filter floss which I replace every couple weeks.

The bottom two chambers are open for a ball of Macro Algae (currently 70% caulurpa and 30% chaeto.  WIth the black sticker on the back removed for that section and a 4w Nana-Fuge LED stuck on the outside.    I am in the process of determining that the 4W light is WAAAAYYYY too much for that proximity and space, so I'm likely to modify it to reduce power to about 1w total..

So that' show I use MY sump area... 

How do you use yours? 

Comments on mine?  Ideas?  Tips? Tricks?

In my 10g.

I upgraded my return pump, no powerhead in display needed now.

Second chamber is my heater

First chamber is my media basket with floss on top, carbon, and purigen.

Floss, chemi pure blue nano, phosguard and purigen in the custom caddy ( first chamber).... then I have a Innovative Marine protein skimmer inside second chamber and finally my ATO and upgraded pump in the third chamber.

On 11/04/2018 at 8:41 AM, jeremyan7 said:

So no skimmer for you..  You must do bigger water changes?

Nope. Skimmers aren't necessary on nano's. I do 15% weekly waterchanges.

• Like 1

Interesting..   I'm sure there are just as many nano-owners WITH skimmers who'd claim they are very hel[pful.  I suppose with enough water change everything is fine either way..  But I DO make a nice medium tea color cup of skimmate a week so one would imagine it's "working". . That said, I still have No3 and Po4 to deal with..  I have 4 medium - small fish and they are fed once a day for about "60 seconds worth"  so my feed / bio load is certainly not low, but I'd say moderate. 

I will continue the higher freaquency water changes..  My biggest bucket (at the moment ) is 2 gallons so I'm limited.  I appreciate that doing 1 4 gallon change is better in terms of reducing nitrate than 2 - 2 gallon ones..  Mathematically.. 

First Chamber: Media Basket

• 1st tray: Double layer of floss (change every other day)

• 2nd tray: mixture (roughly 4:1) carbon and phosguard (change weekly)

• 3rd tray: purigen (change quarterly)

Second Chamber: Aqua Euro Nano Skimmer II

Third Chamber: 

• Eheim 600 return pump

• Heater

The skimmer doesn't do too much, but I feel like there are benefits to its aeration, etc. I also try to do a daily gallon water change, and a weekly 40% water change. 

I Didn't say skimmers weren't helpful.

They aren't necessary- common piece of advice given.

I have no skimmer on mine. It's over 3 yrs old. I have no algae issues besides typical algae on glass- scraped 1 time a week.

My n03 is 2 my p04 isn't detectable and never has been. 

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...

I've got a very busy back chamber on my 10g.  It was really difficult to figure out how to fit everything but it works without any modifications.  Probably way overkill but here it goes:

• First Chamber
    • InTank Media basket with floss and chemipure nano packets
  • Second chamber
    • Eshopps Nano Skimmer
    • ATO Feed Line and bracket
  • Third Chamber
    • Cobalt Neotherm 50W heater
    • Sicce .5 return pump
    • Tunze Osmolator Nano ATO Water level sensor
    • Probe bracket with pH ant Temp for Apex EL controller
    • AI Prime HD mount

IMG_2156.jpg

IMG_2157.jpg

On 4/14/2018 at 6:10 AM, dferrari13 said:

Floss, chemi pure blue nano, phosguard and purigen in the custom caddy ( first chamber).... then I have a Innovative Marine protein skimmer inside second chamber and finally my ATO and upgraded pump in the third chamber.

No heater?

5 hours ago, Daniel91 said:

No heater?

Both of my heaters are inside the tank, one is hidden behind my rock work  which is the finnex titanium..... and the other is visible in this picture all the way on the right side... it's a Neo therm...... just not enough room in the back ....i guess i could cramm it in there but i just havent...but  they can be easily swapped out if necessary (there's two of them just in case one fails)

20180730_183228_zpsvr2a4gji.jpg