Innovative Marine Aquariums

Received my new toy today and I'm a little worried about it's accuracy. The digital pocket tester says the SG in my tank and in my saltwater reservoir is 1.021. My calibrated ATC refractometer says 1.025! From what I've seen and read, I don't believe there's a way to calibrate the digital pocket tester. I know optical refractometers aren't the most accurate, but I didn't think it would be that far off! Wouldn't I see issues in my tank if the SG is that low?!

http://www.coralvue.com/salinity-temperature-digital-pocket-tester

7 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

What does it read with RODI? Do you have a standard solution to check it with?

It reads 1.000 with RODI. No, I wish I did have calibration solution. May have to order some.

6 minutes ago, kismetsh said:

I saw an online review that stated when tested in the included cup the salinity consistently read 2 points lower than when tested in the tank.

I saw that, too and forgot all about it. I tested directly in the tank (without the cup). It reads 1.022 without the cup. Put the cup back on and tested again: 1.021. Tested with the cup on and directly in the tank: 1.021. That still seems too far off to trust. I'm ordering some calibration solution today.

That's the first time that I've heard of one being that far off. 

I was talking to an acquaintance of mine that brought in a batch of them (10+). They're built with a variance of +/- 0.001. He did test all of them against his digital Milwaukee and two different calibrated refractometers (using reference solution). The batch that he had matched both his refractos and the digital Milwaukee had to be recalibrated. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Ebn said:

That's the first time that I've heard of one being that far off. 

I was talking to an acquaintance of mine that brought in a batch of them (10+). They're built with a variance of +/- 0.001. He did test all of them against his digital Milwaukee and two different calibrated refractometers (using reference solution). The batch that he had matched both his refractos and the digital Milwaukee had to be recalibrated. 

This is comforting! Mine is either faulty or my salinity is no bueno!

Ordered Salifert Refractomer Check (link below). I'll update once I get results.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PHGGRMC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Did some additional testing on my home tank (previous results were from my office tank). Here's what I found: IceCap says 1.020 on my home tank !!!, but my home refracto says 1.024. I also tested my fresh saltwater jugs at home: the IceCap says 1.022 and my refracto is almost 1.026. I think this thing is definitely out of whack. If my tanks and even my fresh water-change water is that far off, wouldn't my coral show signs of stress? I've opened a support ticket with Coral Vue. I'll update once I get the calibration fluid tomorrow.

• Like 1
HarryPotter
9 minutes ago, dawz2 said:

Did some additional testing on my home tank (previous results were from my office tank). Here's what I found: IceCap says 1.020 on my home tank !!!, but my home refracto says 1.024. I also tested my fresh saltwater jugs at home: the IceCap says 1.022 and my refracto is almost 1.026. I think this thing is definitely out of whack. If my tanks and even my fresh water-change water is that far off, wouldn't my coral show signs of stress? I've opened a support ticket with Coral Vue. I'll update once I get the calibration fluid tomorrow.

Let me know what you find out! I was planning on splitting one for a friend’s birthday. 

I use the Hanna Salinity thing, HI96822. That one you calibrate with RODI. I’ve never checked it’s accuracy, but it is very precise in the readings. It came with my used tank- at first I thought it was a gimmick compared to a refractometer, but it is very useful. I confirm my WC salinity, and also have used it to adjust the salt content of our brackish cichlids tank.

Speaking of RODI, I would like a handheld tds meter one of these days. 

So....

I received Salifert calibration solution today. The IceCap tester measured dead-on accurately at 1.026. Yay! After calibrating my refractometer to 1.026 (it was off by .001 even being calibrated with RODI) I tested my tank and fresh saltwater jugs. IceCap measures my samples at 1.021 while the refractometer displays 1.023. I've ordered a 2nd unit to compare results.

Ultimately, it appears my salinity is lower than what I was targeting (1.026). I buy RODI and saltwater from my LFS. They use Fritz salt. The LPS and softies in my office pico are thriving and growing. The SPS, LPS and softies in my AIO JBJ home tank are thriving and growing. My 2 clowns and bullet goby don't care.

Are there any benefits to increasing the salinity to 1.026? Should I just keep it stable since I would have to increase salinity of my WC water? I'm starting to think that ignorance is bliss.

On 4/12/2018 at 12:14 PM, dawz2 said:

So....

I received Salifert calibration solution today. The IceCap tester measured dead-on accurately at 1.026. Yay! After calibrating my refractometer to 1.026 (it was off by .001 even being calibrated with RODI) I tested my tank and fresh saltwater jugs. IceCap measures my samples at 1.021 while the refractometer displays 1.023. I've ordered a 2nd unit to compare results.

Ultimately, it appears my salinity is lower than what I was targeting (1.026). I buy RODI and saltwater from my LFS. They use Fritz salt. The LPS and softies in my office pico are thriving and growing. The SPS, LPS and softies in my AIO JBJ home tank are thriving and growing. My 2 clowns and bullet goby don't care.

Are there any benefits to increasing the salinity to 1.026? Should I just keep it stable since I would have to increase salinity of my WC water? I'm starting to think that ignorance is bliss.

I finally got mines in today.  I measured it against my Milwaukee and it's spot on.  But, for some reason it's off with my PinPoint calibration solution even though my Milwaukee have no problem with it..  Are you using the included cup for sample testing?  If so, I suggest not using it at all.  I was getting much more consistent results without it.  

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Asureef said:

Are you using the included cup for sample testing?

I've tried everything. It just doesn't measure accurately. No, I don't use the cup. I take water out of the tank in a glass measuring cup to test. It consistently measures .002 - .004 below all other measuring devices. I took a sample to my LFS and they tested with their Milwaukee. Same result. The Milwaukee (after calibrated with my Salifert solution) measured 1.026 and the IceCap measured 1.022. It has been extremely consistent tho. My 2nd one from SaltwaterAquarium.com should be in this Tuesday. I'm really interested to see how they compare.

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, dawz2 said:

I've tried everything. It just doesn't measure accurately. No, I don't use the cup. I take water out of the tank in a glass measuring cup to test. It consistently measures .002 - .004 below all other measuring devices. I took a sample to my LFS and they tested with their Milwaukee. Same result. The Milwaukee (after calibrated with my Salifert solution) measured 1.026 and the IceCap measured 1.022. It has been extremely consistent tho. My 2nd one from SaltwaterAquarium.com should be in this Tuesday. I'm really interested to see how they compare.

I haven’t measured it with any cup since seeing how inaccurate using the included cup was.  Have you tried testing straight in the tank seeing if you get any different readings?  Maybe this thing needs flowing water.

3 hours ago, Asureef said:

I haven’t measured it with any cup since seeing how inaccurate using the included cup was.  Have you tried testing straight in the tank seeing if you get any different readings?  Maybe this thing needs flowing water.

Yeah, I have. It measures .001 higher, but they say that may be due to electrical interference from the equipment running in the tank. That's why I pulled some out. I tried swirling the end of the tester to simulate flowing water. Can’t tell if it makes a difference.

Weird thing happened to me yesterday.

Earlier this week I did my first water change because my salt reading was 1.028/1.029. Did a 4 gallon water change tested the water with my Refractometer said it was around 1.024/1.025. Took my water to one of my LFS yesterday and the guy tested my water and he said it was 1.019 and he was using the IceCap Salinity Tester. I was shocked it dropped that much. So I ended up buying 5 gallons of saltwater and was going to slowly top off my tank with saltwater. Then late last night before bed I tested my water at my house and the reading was 1.024/1.025 with my refractometer... was super confused. I even cleaned it with fresh water and tested it multiple times over and over and I kept getting the same result.

Took my water again today to another LFS, they tested my water with their IceCap Salinity Tester and the reading came back at 1.024/1.025...

Not sure whats going on........................ and not sure who to trust but im trusting my refractometer.

Edit: Both LFS scooped the water into the little container things and held it upright

Edit: Guy at LFS yesterday afternoon tested it in the cup and without the cup and gave same reading

:unsure:

• Thanks 1
HarryPotter
22 minutes ago, dawz2 said:

I captured some test comparisons with both salinity testers:

Your results look great.... off by .001 from calibration solution and very consistent. Didn’t watch the whole video tho because it was real time and tedious ?

On 4/14/2018 at 3:58 PM, dawz2 said:

It sounds like if it is consistently showing .002-.004 below then it would be easy to determine the true salinity knowing that it reads below.

It should be on point of course, but I was just saying that you now know for sure what your salinity is.

1 hour ago, dawz2 said:

I captured some test comparisons with both salinity testers:

Weird.. I have to re watch it later with sound.  Mine has been dead on and have tested on my friend’s tank, I’m impressed on how convenient and consistent it is.   

• 5 months later...

For those who are still searching for accuracy with the IceCap Salinity tester - I found that mine was reading about .004 too low, but after doing a factory reset it was correct. 

Hope this helps someone!